Nebraska and BYU...a relationship best left undeveloped?

By now, I'm sure we're all aware of Nebraska adding BYU to the schedule, as well as the discussion that there is a handshake deal which may add BYU to future schedules in all sports, not just Football.

If not, here's the article from the Journal Star discussing the football development.

Now, here's the thing that gets disconcerting--we all know that the Big XII isn't exactly the most ethical of conferences, as we saw in the 2009 Big XII Football championship game and multiple times during the 2010 season when we were leaving. It's one of the (many) reasons Nebraska fans aren't exactly chomping at the bit to schedule Big XII teams during the non-conference season (save for Oklahoma, which is equal parts sensible and insanity).

So, now we make with reports that BYU is aggressively seeking a seat in the Big XII. Of note:

Talks between the two parties have ramped up over the past couple of weeks however, with discussions revolving around the possibility of BYU and Louisville being added in time for the 2013-14 athletics season.

Now, there were talks about BYU joining the Big XII that fizzled out for a number of reasons, including (but not limited to) BYU only wanting to be a football member and not wanting to play any sport on Sunday. Now, it looks like BYU is willing to go all-in with the Big XII. Perhaps BYU is realizing what Texas figured out--that independence isn't worth the headache?

For BYU's part, university officials have apparently taken a much more proactive approach during the most recent round of discussions. BYU is reportedly indicating a willingness to bring all of its programs into the league this time around, something that the school had apparently hedged on in past discussions.

---

Now, regarding Nebraska: any future home and home with BYU will likely be with them as a Big XII member. That includes being subjected to all of the old Big XII drama off the field once again (sure to give fans and players tiredhead), but all of the corrupt officiating on the field as well...perhaps as soon as 2015.

Now, the problems weren't as pronounced with other sports during our last season, and I know we've already scheduled former Big XII teams in non-football sports--off the top of my head, ISU in Volleyball, and KSU in baseball.

But the question is, do we really want to subject ourselves to reliving the past and having to hear Texas' side of the Big XII events taken as gospel in the media leading up to the season? Do we want to subject our kids on the football side of the equation to potentially the biggest helping of conference home cooking served up this side of a (then) Pac-10 officiated event? Is there an upside to engaging in all of this just to play BYU?

Frankly, I think we (as an institution) deserve better. I do hope that if BYU goes to the Big XII, we say 'thanks, but no thanks'.

(And yes, this is trivial, but it's the freakin' off-season. There are only so many 'what will be the 2-deep for the Spring Game' threads a fan can take).

I think we got jobbed in 2009.

I also think we got jobbed during the 2010 season, but that was because we were in the process of leaving. Now that we've left, I don't think they would still be holding a vendetta so great that they would officiate games in an unfair manner, especially if it's a newcomer to the Big 12. If it were Texas, then I'd say you might have a point, but it's BYU.

That's thinking a little too much into it if you ask me. I mean, they got TCU and West Virginia.

I'm going to give the Big 12 the benefit of the doubt and say they're over it. I could be wrong.

i disagree. it's water under the bridge. it's not as though we are scheduling Texas. I'd love to play any of the Big12 teams save Texas...and even then I think it would be enjoyable but the drama might be a little overwhelming. everyone else is open game IMO.

and I find it odd that you started a BYU thread and end it with "Frankly, I think we (as an institution) deserve better" when we just scheduled Idaho State. You want to argue that we (try as fans) deserve better...go the Idaho State route. BYU is a regular top-25 program. They're a good school, a good "character" school at that. I'm thrilled we're getting a chance to form an athletic relationship with them.

Living in Utah (about 30 mins from Provo), I'll tell you guys that BYU is OVERATED. They get (got) wins due to an easy mountain west schedule. Their fans think that God himself endowed their football team to greatness. It's fairly annoying. You guys should KILL them....

I've heard the BYU fans are pretty terrible too

i disagree. it's water under the bridge. it's not as though we are scheduling Texas. I'd love to play any of the Big12 teams save Texas...and even then I think it would be enjoyable but the drama might be a little overwhelming. everyone else is open game IMO.

and I find it odd that you started a BYU thread and end it with "Frankly, I think we (as an institution) deserve better" when we just scheduled Idaho State. You want to argue that we (try as fans) deserve better...go the Idaho State route. BYU is a regular top-25 program. They're a good school, a good "character" school at that. I'm thrilled we're getting a chance to form an athletic relationship with them.

Chris--I'm not saying that Idaho State is better than BYU, and I agree with you that BYU is a decent football program. I didn't mean to act as if I was disputing that.

When I said 'we deserve better', I was referring to the unnecessary drama and derp we're going to encounter should BYU become a Big XII program. I guarantee that if ABC/ESPN picks up Big XII first tier rights again and we're playing BYU in Utah as a member of the Big XII, we're going to get an earfull of the Big XII breakup all week long leading up to the game from the Longwhorn Network perspective, and no change to offer our input.

Sorry I wasn't clear on that Chris.

Chris--I'm not saying that Idaho State is better than BYU, and I agree with you that BYU is a decent football program. I didn't mean to act as if I was disputing that.

When I said 'we deserve better', I was referring to the unnecessary drama and derp we're going to encounter should BYU become a Big XII program. I guarantee that if ABC/ESPN picks up Big XII first tier rights again and we're playing BYU in Utah as a member of the Big XII, we're going to get an earfull of the Big XII breakup all week long leading up to the game from the Longwhorn Network perspective, and no change to offer our input.

Sorry I wasn't clear on that Chris.

ah, I gotcha. i still am not sure there would be a lot of drama with BYU. There would be a TON of drama with Texas - or really any of those Texas teams. But I think we'd be OK playing any of the former Big8 teams or any of the newcomers. It's not like they can tie our history to BYU's when trying to build the drama.