SIGNED OT Zach Hannon

Warrior10

To say never seriously contended is a bit of a stretch...

If I'm remembering correctly they played for the title twice in eleven years under Pinkel. They lost one of those conference title games by three touchdowns and the other by more than five touchdowns. I think that is deserving of "never seriously contended" but that is definitely an opinion and not a fact.

And frankly 8 wins is very achievable with a 4-4, 5-3 conference record. Thats not really competing with the upper tier. infact saying they might compete upper tier once every 5-6 years is quite different then saying they might get to 8 wins every 5-6 years.

I think Mizzou can aspire to and expect 8 wins or so. My main concern if I were a MU fan is whether or not the university can sustain (or improve) recruiting with that sort of record.

Edit:

GP might struggle, who knows. He is 9-2 agasint SEC teams while at Mizzou.

I don't know the full list . . . but I remember him beating the likes of Ole Miss, Arkansas, and South Carolina. How many wins were against LSU, Alabama, Florida, Auburn, etc? Pinkel can't win games that he didn't play but that stat doesn't look nearly as impressive if it's against mid to lower tier SEC teams.

Mizzou = Iowa

Decent to good most years, with great years thrown in here and there, but not strings of great years. Pinkel's the best guy you've had since Dan Devine.

There is not much to compare him against in those 30 seasons inbetween ;)

But when you honestly look at how many bad coaches and things were done before him and a team that had just two winning seasons in the 17 before he started, I sometimes think he doesnt get enough credit for all that he has done.

If MU wins 8-10 games next year I'll be very shocked. I can see them eventually winning that many but it will be a once ever 5-6 years kind of deal.

Not trying to hijack the thread here but,

My question would be this then, how many games do you see them winning normally? And I am guessing that you believe that the SEC is just clearly that much tougher than any other conference.

I only ask because you said you see them winning that many once every 5-6 years. Mizzou has won that many or more every year for the last 6 seasons and 8 was recently the low mark only on the 3 seasons where they started a new QB who was a true Soph. They have increased the talent they have taken every year and the depth has improved leaps since the start of that run.

Also I am assuming that you believe that if NE was in the SEC they also would be a 5-6-7 win team and once every 5-6 years reach 8-10 wins?

Yes the SEC is that much better than B12. But also in MU's best years they either had the favorable home games or didn't have to play the best teams. They also only excelled win the teams in the North were down and going through coaching transitions that had teams overhauled majorly. KU, KSU, NU, Colorado and ISU all flipped multiple coaches in those years. To state that didn't play a large role in GP success would be dishonest. I also think many of his teams under performed compared to the talent they recruited. I think you give those guys to most coaches who've been at a school that long and they do better. I think GP is a bit overated as a coach. That being said I don't think MU can do much better either. The good news is I don't think GP is afraid to lie or cheat a little if he knows he can get away with it so he'll make some progress in the SEC. But I just don't see him beating LSU, FL, USC, Bama, but once in a Blue Moon. 50/50 games will be Arky, Georgia, ATM, Old Miss, Auburn, and Tenn. I see them beating Kentucky, Vandy, and MIss State regularly.

As far as us, I think NU actually would match up better in the SEC than it did moving to the B10 defense wise as well as offensive wise as we had started to recruit the smaller faster guys at the skilled positions. I think we would probably have still been no better than 4 or 5th in that conference and thats if we really played our best ball every single game. Last year we may have been the 6th or 7th best team. I however will put our coachs up again MU's crew and know that our set backs would be few and they'd actually learn to adjust to the conference in a very short time.

H

If I'm remembering correctly they played for the title twice in eleven years under Pinkel. They lost one of those conference title games by three touchdowns and the other by more than five touchdowns. I thing that is deserving of "never seriously contended" but that is definitely an opinion and not a fact.

That game was tied at half and to say mizzou pooped it away is an understatment. That team also finished #4 in the nation that year. He has twice had teams ranked in the top 12 bcs in the final week. And frankly is you have qualified to be selected to a bsc game playing in one of the big 3 conferences I think your were a contender.

And using all 11 years isnt really fair or unbiased considering what he had to start from. How about saying something like In the last 7 years of divisions he either won his division, tied for the lead or finished 1 game out 5 times. But that doesnt look as bad as twice in 11 years.

I think Mizzou can aspire to and expect 8 wins or so. My main concern if I were a MU fan is whether or not the university can sustain (or improve) recruiting with that sort of record.

you ever seen the recruits and the rankings those middle of the pack SEC teams get? Plus, we are the only Midwest SEC option. We are still as good as any area school or better for state of MO recruits and Mizzou now has a substantail draw in GA and FL.

How many wins were against LSU, Alabama, Florida, Auburn, etc?

None to this point cause they havent played. But the thing for you to remember is just like the big10, the SEC has divisions. Mizzou will play LSU, BAMA, Auburn only one at a time and only once every 6 years. Yeah everyother year we have to go to the swamp, but every other year they have to come to COMO.

If I'm remembering correctly they played for the title twice in eleven years under Pinkel. They lost one of those conference title games by three touchdowns and the other by more than five touchdowns. I thing that is deserving of "never seriously contended" but that is definitely an opinion and not a fact.

That game was tied at half and to say mizzou pooped it away is an understatment. That team also finished #4 in the nation that year. He has twice had teams ranked in the top 12 bcs in the final week. And frankly is you have qualified to be selected to a bsc game playing in one of the big 3 conferences I think your were a contender.

And using all 11 years isnt really fair or unbiased considering what he had to start from. How about saying something like In the last 7 years of divisions he either won his division, tied for the lead or finished 1 game out 5 times. But that doesnt look as bad as twice in 11 years.

you ever seen the recruits and the rankings those middle of the pack SEC teams get? Plus, we are the only Midwest SEC option. We are still as good as any area school or better for state of MO recruits and Mizzou now has a substantail draw in GA and FL.

How many wins were against LSU, Alabama, Florida, Auburn, etc?

None to this point cause they havent played. But the thing for you to remember is just like the big10, the SEC has divisions. Mizzou will play LSU, BAMA, Auburn only one at a time and only once every 6 years. Yeah everyother year we have to go to the swamp, but every other year they have to come to COMO.

NU will still have their ins in KC. I really think adding Mizzou was a way for them to water down that conference a bit.

Mizzou = Iowa

Decent to good most years, with great years thrown in here and there, but not strings of great years. Pinkel's the best guy you've had since Dan Devine.

missouri=iowa= Nebraska with out the great year sprinkles in lately!! Just sayin'..... Those who live in corn stalk houses shouldn't throw....... Well you get my point!

Oh don't get me wrong, we've had a terrible decade. I was thinking look back a while. Nebraska fans still hold onto the nineties prettu solid, ya know :-)

If MU wins 8-10 games next year I'll be very shocked. I can see them eventually winning that many but it will be a once ever 5-6 years kind of deal.

Not trying to hijack the thread here but,

My question would be this then, how many games do you see them winning normally? And I am guessing that you believe that the SEC is just clearly that much tougher than any other conference.

I only ask because you said you see them winning that many once every 5-6 years. Mizzou has won that many or more every year for the last 6 seasons and 8 was recently the low mark only on the 3 seasons where they started a new QB who was a true Soph. They have increased the talent they have taken every year and the depth has improved leaps since the start of that run.

Also I am assuming that you believe that if NE was in the SEC they also would be a 5-6-7 win team and once every 5-6 years reach 8-10 wins?

Yes the SEC is that much better than B12. But also in MU's best years they either had the favorable home games or didn't have to play the best teams. They also only excelled win the teams in the North were down and going through coaching transitions that had teams overhauled majorly. KU, KSU, NU, Colorado and ISU all flipped multiple coaches in those years. To state that didn't play a large role in GP success would be dishonest. I also think many of his teams under performed compared to the talent they recruited. I think you give those guys to most coaches who've been at a school that long and they do better. I think GP is a bit overated as a coach. That being said I don't think MU can do much better either. The good news is I don't think GP is afraid to lie or cheat a little if he knows he can get away with it so he'll make some progress in the SEC. But I just don't see him beating LSU, FL, USC, Bama, but once in a Blue Moon. 50/50 games will be Arky, Georgia, ATM, Old Miss, Auburn, and Tenn. I see them beating Kentucky, Vandy, and MIss State regularly.

As far as us, I think NU actually would match up better in the SEC than it did moving to the B10 defense wise as well as offensive wise as we had started to recruit the smaller faster guys at the skilled positions. I think we would probably have still been no better than 4 or 5th in that conference and thats if we really played our best ball every single game. Last year we may have been the 6th or 7th best team. I however will put our coachs up again MU's crew and know that our set backs would be few and they'd actually learn to adjust to the conference in a very short time.

H

Well thats quite scary considering the big12 is really that much better than the big10.... you guys would have to make a double jump up.

#1 Frankly you know very little about MU which is clear by some of the statements you made. Mu never missed any big dogs on the rotating south swing. They played either OU, TT and ATM or TX, OSU and Baylor. Meaning they playing either of the top 2 teams and the next 2 best every season. They won double digit games against both sets of schedules.

#2 To say mu's got rich off the poor or bad would not totally be true. But I could say that if your willing to say the same about huskers during their great runs in which the majority of the big8/big12 was dog sh*&.

#3 You obviously think GP sucks. well he has done well against a number of other coaches people think are pretty good. Is he nick saben? no, but he no slub either

#4 You dont think we can beat LSU, FL, USC, Bama, but once in a Blue Moon. Well again, we only play bama and lsu once every 6 years and never together. You think 50/50 games will be Arky, Georgia, ATM, Old Miss, Auburn, and Tenn. Well we will play arky geo and tenn every year, the others only once every 6 and never together, (ATM by the way is a joke, GP owns the aggies home and away). And you see us beating beating Kentucky, Vandy, and MIss State regularly. Well we only play miss st once every 6, but get vandy and kent every year

So according to you, out of the 8 conference games we have, 2 (vandy and kentucky) are sure wins

3 are 50/50 (Georgia, Tenn, Arky)

and 2 are not likely (SC and FL)

the other game just depends on who we got that year. So with no upsets we are 3-5 or 4-4 every year (7-8 wins every year with 4-0 noncon) So you basically have MU at 8 wins a year and 9 easy when they get the MISS schools 2 of every 6 years. Add in ATM to get 9 wins every 3 of 6.

BTW I like how you how you say Georgia a team that has finished #23rd or better 13 of the last 15 years and had double digit wins 7 of the last 10 years is 50/50, yet SC, who finished in the polls for just the second time since 2001 and had just their 2nd double digit win total in their history is and "once in a blue moon" type of win.... Your CFB knowledge is just overflowing in your response.

And FYI, Ne would finish about where MU would. So, there is always that...

Sorry Fro, I think Mizzou will be just fine, especially when they get up to speed on the cheating aspect of the SEC style of recruiting. I think Mizzou will do just fine in the SEC and will dominate in bowl games moving forward. I hate to see Husker fans show the hate towards Mizzou. I understand your fans hating us but I don't get the hate back. Being a Missouri boy I have always respected playing MU, especially at Columbia. I was at the famous game that the football hit the foot.

I'm still hopeful that somewhere in the next 10 years MU gets an offer to the B1G and accepts ... but that's the dreamer in me.

Despite hating Mizzery, you have to respect GP for where he has brought his team. They were a good match for DONU while we were reconstructing a winner. I do agree that they have not done enough with the talent they have amassed. And I do think they will have more trouble fielding 9-10 win seasons in the SECheaters. There just aren't enough lower level teams for them to catch their breath after hard games. That will take it's toll on them. I don't think we will ever see them in the B1G, since the SECheaters is a better conference that makes as much/more money than the B1G. Good luck to your team Fro....they are sure going to need it.

• Fire 1