Cam Meredith talks coach Kaz

I was watching more of the [players'] technique, but you can see similarities," Meredith said. "For example, Coach Kaz wants us to make contact with our head, head-butt them more and get separation.

That's really dumb. Making contact with the head, hello concussion and more head injuries. Also, allowing a OL to get into your body makes it easier for them to hold you and get away with it. Our DL should be firing off the ball and using their hands to keep blockers off of them. It's no wonder our DL essentially sucked last season.

Being that he was with Iowa how does our d-line performance last season(which I was also disappointed in) reflect on what Kaz is teaching?

<p>

</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Sure as hell doesn't sound wise. Not only would that cause a dramatic increase in suffering from concussions, but I would imagine getting more tired throughout the game. If I was a lineman doing that all game I would dizzy/lightheaded by the 4th quarter</p>

<p>

</p>

Just off base here. People are confusing this kid's issues with technique. He stroked out twice based on migraines, not concussions. Did the technique lead to additional migraines? Maybe. There are a lot of moving parts in that equation and I am not the kind of doctor that helps people. Regardless, here is some insight on being a defensive lineman.

While banging your head into things while already concussed certainly would not help the situation, the rest is moot. The reason is that when you,as a D-lineman, 'head butt' someone you are not just hitting them with your head. You are generating force from your hips up through your back, shoulders, and neck. When you make contact the forces acting on you are spread out through these muscular systems as well. Helmets also displace/dilute point-of-impact forces to multiple points around the head. Because of this the force on your head is SIGNIFICANTLY less than it would take to become injured.1 This is because your musculature can only absorb as much force as it can generate.2 Equal and opposite forces. Physics lessons, blah blah blah. Though you are correct that it will make you more tired. More force output = more tired. Hoping for some better depth this year with no injury bugs to alleviate this.

Concussions come from receiving to much force to the head. Usually this happens when a hit occurs near the chin(or lower part of the head) going upward and the neck, etc. can not help displace the forces. Otherwise when the system is relaxed because nothing is expected, think crack-back block victim. You just are not in these positions on the line with enough speed to generate that kind of force. Statistically, you are more likely to have head trauma on a roller coaster than being a lineman.</div>

1- You are also delivering force with your arms as well so you are not doing the most effective head butt to start with. Thus, the cranial forces are even less in this situation. This assumes you are doing it right. Find some vid of soccer hooligans attempting this for accurate portrayal.

2 - This is why people are taught form tackling, etc. The better position you are in to deliver a blow the better you are to receive one. The better you are to receive it the less likely you are to get hurt. It amazes me when I see horrible technique these days when it was the first thing I was ever taught for this very reason.