Blues Music

I don't mean to offend, but is ZZ Top even blues? When I think of blues I think of John Lee Hooker, or Robert Johnson, or Leadbelly. And please, PLEASE, don't try to sell me on the Blues Brothers as blues.

btw, If you are anywhere near Lincoln and want to hear good blues music try the Zoo Bar. A great place. Been there forever. Just a couple blocks off campus on 14th street.

Odd how subjective music can be. I can barely tolerate blues - I find it repetitive and monotonous. However, it's simply amazing the number of musicians that love it. That's always made me think that they can "hear" something in it I can't. I've asked a number of musicians what it is about the blues that they love, and none could really provide a definitive answer. The best I heard was, "Why not asking me why I like the color green? I just do. The blues just have a rhythm that appeals to me."

Anyway, while I play guitar, I'm no musician - I'm a technician. So, I've always been envious of those who really are musicians, and an appreciation of the blues is part of that envy.

Sorry to go off topic, by the way. Carry on.

Odd how subjective music can be. I can barely tolerate blues - I find it repetitive and monotonous. However, it's simply amazing the number of musicians that love it. That's always made me think that they can "hear" something in it I can't. I've asked a number of musicians what it is about the blues that they love, and none could really provide a definitive answer. The best I heard was, "Why not asking me why I like the color green? I just do. The blues just have a rhythm that appeals to me."

Anyway, while I play guitar, I'm no musician - I'm a technician. So, I've always been envious of those who really are musicians, and an appreciation of the blues is part of that envy.

I understand where you're coming from. When somebody tries to sell me on the greatness of the Beatles, Pink Floyd, or the Grateful Dead, I just don't get it. I find all those bands pedantic and criminally overrated.

I understand where you're coming from. When somebody tries to sell me on the greatness of the Beatles, Pink Floyd, or the Grateful Dead, I just don't get it. I find all those bands pedantic and criminally overrated.

Heretic!!!! Heathen!!!! Blasphemer!!!!!

And then some

Back in MY day, you couldn't even walk by the Zoo bar without your clothes smelling like stale cigerette smoke..and week old beer.

I know a Jazz fan that always quotes someone I've long forgotten..,"If I had to explain it to you, you would never understand".

Growing up listening to my older brother's Led Zeppelin albums, I usually skipped over the blues tunes and went right for the "radio hits"..but (sorry NUance)..not until I saw the Blues Brothers did I discover I liked the Blues and made it seem pretty much "Cool" to like it...Seeing John Lee Hooker sitting on that chair on the sidewalk singing "Boom Boom" still gives me chills.

The Beatles even had a nice Blues song that I just forgot..I'll try to remember it later...Oh yeah.."I want you/She's so heavy"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4CzqrPZtXk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_KMvddrFp4

Most of ZZ Top's deeper Blues songs/albums never got much airplay..They put out an album the same year as Afterburner that (Rythmeen or Mescalero) that was nithing but nasty, tasty, dirty Blues..

But Probably my Favourite Album of all time..Of ANY Genera was introduced to me by a really cute Blonde at Pickles Records on O street at the old McDonalds location in Lincoln a few minutes after Broderick Thomas and I were sizing each other up..

"I AM The BLUES" by Willie Dixon.
I think almost every song was covered by Zeppelin, Doors, Stones, Muddy, or Howlin' Wolf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UuChTazs9Q