Blues Music

Odd how subjective music can be. I can barely tolerate blues - I find it repetitive and monotonous. However, it's simply amazing the number of musicians that love it. That's always made me think that they can "hear" something in it I can't. I've asked a number of musicians what it is about the blues that they love, and none could really provide a definitive answer. The best I heard was, "Why not asking me why I like the color green? I just do. The blues just have a rhythm that appeals to me."

Anyway, while I play guitar, I'm no musician - I'm a technician. So, I've always been envious of those who really are musicians, and an appreciation of the blues is part of that envy.

Sorry to go off topic, by the way. Carry on.

I understand where you're coming from. When somebody tries to sell me on the greatness of the Beatles, Pink Floyd, or the Grateful Dead, I just don't get it. I find all those bands pedantic and criminally overrated.

I understand where you are coming from AR. I always found blues to be more enjoyable to play, than to listen to. I flat out can't listen to most of it, but I have played it, and had a great time.

I'm also in agreement with Walks, I don't get the Beatles obsession, or the Grateful Dead. I do have some respect for Pink Floyd, though I do find them hit and miss.

• 1 month later...

I like blues based rock. I am not a real straight blues lover. I love SRV his cover of "Little Wing" is IMO one of the greatest instrumentals in Rock and Roll. I would much rather listen to Creams version of "Crossroads" than Robert Johnson's, sorry. I love Zepplins bluesier stuff. "Since I've Been Lovin You" LIve is probably my favorite song of theirs. Robert Cray is good and he is a blues man. You got to love AC/DC, "Whole Lot of Rosie" great blues rock.

Odd how subjective music can be. I can barely tolerate blues - I find it repetitive and monotonous. However, it's simply amazing the number of musicians that love it. That's always made me think that they can "hear" something in it I can't. I've asked a number of musicians what it is about the blues that they love, and none could really provide a definitive answer. The best I heard was, "Why not asking me why I like the color green? I just do. The blues just have a rhythm that appeals to me."

Anyway, while I play guitar, I'm no musician - I'm a technician. So, I've always been envious of those who really are musicians, and an appreciation of the blues is part of that envy.

Sorry to go off topic, by the way. Carry on.

I feel the same way about it. It all sounds the same to me. It sucks, because a good friend of mine is a tremendous blues musician, and I feel bad because I just don't have any interest in listening to his music.

• 1 month later...