TE Beau Sandland [Miami Commit]

Nexus

What's his eligibility?

I'm guessing 3 for 2. He graduated in 2011 from Simi Valley High School in California. Played freshman year at JUCO in 2011. Assuming he doesn't redshirt in 2012 during his JUCO stint, then his eligibility will be 3 for 2.

This kid might be the cats meow but I was hoping to get away from jucos unless they were unbelievable! Or unless it was a desperate position of immediate need.

Well TE is going to be a pretty major need losing two long time contributors at once.

yup. it is a major position of need. even if lil' cotton pans out, he will be a RSF in '13, so we'll have him, sutton and some walk-ons (along with whatever true frosh). i'm guessing we can find a servicable player out of that group, but a good juco would be a nice addition. i love our juco recruiting philosophy under pelini and a good TE prospect fits it fine for this class.

• 1 month later...

yup. it is a major position of need. even if lil' cotton pans out, he will be a RSF in '13, so we'll have him, sutton and some walk-ons (along with whatever true frosh). i'm guessing we can find a servicable player out of that group, but a good juco would be a nice addition. i love our juco recruiting philosophy under pelini and a good TE prospect fits it fine for this class.

I think the staff has done a great job with jucos. There are ton of unkowns with highschool prospects, even the highly rated ones (e.g. how will they do away from home, was their competition just really crappy). With JUCOs, you only get them for a couple of years but there are a few less unknowns. If you're wrong, you're only out a scholarship for two years. If you're right, you get what will probably be their two best years of college ball.

Beau's picked up offers from Florida, Georgia, and Miami (FL).

Unfortunately we haven't been so lucky with JUCO TEs. Tyson Hetzer and Chase Harper never turned out. Then again we just haven't had great TE recruits coming in. Cotton and Reed are solid. McNeil was great for us, but other than that we've really missed. Let's hope we can nab Sandland and he can come in and contribute right away!

Georgia has offered.

"I do not care where the college is on the map," Sandland said. "Wherever I find the best fit and where I am the most comfortable, that is where I will sign, whether it is right down the street or across the country."

• 2 weeks later...