Turner embracing new opportunity at receiver

From BC. He'll have a story up later. For now, the blog:

Turner eager about his chance at receiver

Jamal Turner has a bounce in his step these days, as eager as anyone to show his talents in this spring season that now has two practices in the books.

"I feel great," Turner said after Monday's practice. "I'm out there at the Z (receiver position). I played A (slot position) last year, so I'm kind of expanding my knowledge of the playbook, so that's always a good thing."

One of the biggest difference between the Z and A?

"Well, the first thing, the Z is always on the field. The A only comes in on third down, deep downs and stuff like that, so teams know that we're going to pass the ball," Turner said.

Always his toughest critic, Turner said he has a much deeper knowledge of the playbook now than he did last fall.

"I was just out there running around," Turner said. "I didn't understand the play concepts or anything like that, but now I do. Everything is so much clearer. I know what everyone's doing now. I know what the tight end, what the X (receiver) is doing. I know where they're lining up. I know where I have to line up. I know a lot more than what I did when I first started receiving this position."

Get the playmakers on the field. Even if a guy has a limited grasp, design a set of plays that he can remember/execute and get him in there.

I like the attitude.

We've been doing this at the QB position anyway.

Before you guys jump on me for hating, come on, let's be clear. Taylor has been QB because of his athleticism, not because of his strong grasp of the art of quarterbacking an offense. He's been trying to grow into that role and it has been tough, for sure, given he has been a QB for a relatively short duration of his life. Hopefully he is improving in leaps and bounds as they all say...

So given our run heavy offense and what we expect out of a starting QB, we starting talking about one of the WRs on the field and all of a sudden he needs to have a zen-like command of the playbook? That just makes no sense. Have Jamal work the slot, do, I dunno, whatever he was doing the first few games last year. I think it's a plus for the team to have his skills and athleticism on the field.

Anway, Jamal Turner needs to be a consistent play maker. Having a good game with like 7 catches for 100+ yards and then disappearing entirely from the offense for a month isn't going to cut it.

Jamal disappeared entirely from the field, so it's no surprise that his production dipped as a result...

I'm all for having a few plays that he can execute, but it kind of goes against Bo's message of accountability if he is allowed to slide by only learning a few plays. I prefer Bo's method of doing things as long as he is consistent with it, which he is. If you're going to put Jamal out there when he only knows a small amount of the plays, it would send a bad message to the senior WR who has worked his butt off to learn and execute the playbook and deserves to be on the field.

I'm all for having a few plays that he can execute, but it kind of goes against Bo's message of accountability if he is allowed to slide by only learning a few plays. I prefer Bo's method of doing things as long as he is consistent with it, which he is. If you're going to put Jamal out there when he only knows a small amount of the plays, it would send a bad message to the senior WR who has worked his butt off to learn and execute the playbook and deserves to be on the field.

I think it would too. You "must" remember your routes to play a lot. Hang tough Bo......

This is Turner's second spring which I think is overlooked by some, and will be huge....I really think the light turns on soon for him...I know he sits behind a hard working senior but I am hoping Turner really busts his butt in practice to earn the playing time, if he does our offense will definitely be more dangerous!!

I think it would too. You "must" remember your routes to play a lot. Hang tough Bo......

This is really funny, because the same standards for "knowing" the offense didn't apply according to you if the player was greased lightning, which Jamal surely is. And that was at QB.

I don't think we can have it both ways. Jamal just needs to be on the field, plain and simple. A little bit at a time, work him into various packages as a sub receiver -- since there are many receiver positions, receivers can have their own role within an offense, no double standards or accountability message conflicts there.

This is really funny, because the same standards for "knowing" the offense didn't apply according to you if the player was greased lightning, which Jamal surely is. And that was at QB.

I don't think we can have it both ways. Jamal just needs to be on the field, plain and simple. A little bit at a time, work him into various packages as a sub receiver -- since there are many receiver positions, receivers can have their own role within an offense, no double standards or accountability message conflicts there.

Well when Turner admittedly dogged it in practice, it's understandable that he wouldn't see the field, regardless of what he does during the game.