Turner embracing new opportunity at receiver

Hercules, I am working dangerously in the realm of not facts and just my limited recollection. So please excuse me if I'm wrong here, but...

Never mind the touches. I thought that Marlowe was on the field as a backup to start the year. Maybe not significantly, but with some regularity. I'd love to be able to watch the game tape or something just to see those plays you are talking about. I do recall that he got worked back in to a limited extent in the bowl game. I don't want to doubt you on the other ones, but I almost think you have found probably the only two times he was on the field in the five-game stretch following Minnesota.

So, perhaps the notion that Jamal disappeared (nearly) completely from the playing field is wrong, and that should seriously be corrected if it's the case. I'm just skeptical since it isn't really how I remember it...but again, I'm sure you very well could be right.

By the way, if the assumption we are going under is that Turner wasn't disciplined in terms of playing time for his comments about Taylor in the fall, then there definitely should not be any issue with his supportive comments about Taylor's improvement this spring. Hopefully we're about to see some greatness next year from him, and I know we all agree on that.

I thought after the Spring game last year, that we had a chance to see another Johnny the Jet. (I went to the same HS as JR). De ja va moments during the spring still believe it. We as Huskers fans. those of us may have the opportunity to see greatness from JT, those of us who've been around since at least 69 may have the opportunity to see lightning strike twice in the same place. Let last year go boys, it's over and nothing changes the outcome or game participants. Drink a bunch of Kool Aid and enjoy the off season dreaming of glory. You can go back to your negative realm when we get ready to strap it on in the fall. GBR

I'm tired of all this talk our players do during Spring and Fall ball and then we see the same results during the season (WRs dropping balls, o-line missing blocks, committing stupid penalties, etc.).

Turner "embracing new opportunity at receiver"? Great. Show me consistently on Saturday. Until then, I will take everything I hear from players in the Spring and Fall with a grain of salt and expect the same results I have seen the last two or three years.

I've always heard that Martinez has been a hard worker. He has flaws, and they have been discussed in virtually every thread on Huskerboard at this point, but I don't recall his work ethic ever coming up as an issue. And that's saying something...

The guy that is always lost in the Jamal Turner conversation is Tim Marlowe. It's not like Jamal Turner struggled with some issues so the coaches benched him as punishment. It's the combination of Turner struggling and Marlowe really stepping up that caused playing time to change significantly. You can critique the coaches' decision to play Marlowe ahead of Turner, but I thought Marlowe was pretty clearly the more effective player towards the end of the season. He was reliable. Turner had the edge on Marlowe in terms of pure athleticism, but Marlowe had the edge everywhere else by FAR. The offense was more productive with him on the field than it was with Turner on the field.

Anyways, Turner was a true freshmen, he was hyped up like crazy by the fans and the media after his spring game performance, and it was his first season in a new system, and his first season as a wide receiver. It's not surprising that he struggled a fair amount. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do this year, though.

Marlowe was reminding me a lot of Swift towards the end of the season. He made some pretty awesome catches. He and Ben Cotton seem to have the surest hands on the team. Unfortunately neither are all that explosive. Jamal can get himself open 3 times for every 1-2 Marlowe can. So while Jamal might drop a couple passes - if he can get himself open 5 more times a game than Marlowe could - those 2 drops don't mean quite as much. A covered receiver is almost as bad - especially when Martinez isn't the best at going through his reads. It's an incomplete pass both ways. Only w/ a covered receiver T-Mart takes a sack - at least if we're in a bowl game :)

i don't recall Marlowe striking fear in the hearts of our opponent's defense......probably a better blocker, but that was about it......

I remember him making some key 3rd down catches...

12 catches for 113 yards and 1 TD......Marlowe for 2011.

15 catches for 243 yards and no TD's.....Turner for 2011.

And a bunch of those were on 3rd and long. Not saying Marlowe is the next coming of Crabtree - but you can't deny the kid went up and made some great grabs on 3rd and long. A couple of those were bad passes he pulled in while taking a hit.

Martinez, T. pass complete to Marlowe, Tim for 8 yards to the NEB45, 1ST DOWN NEB. (3rd & 6)

Marlowe, Tim rush over left end for 39 yards to the MSU1, 1ST DOWN NEB.

Martinez, T. pass complete to 6-Marlowe, Tim for 6 yards to the NEB31 1ST DOWN NEB (3rd & 5)

Martinez, T. pass complete to Marlowe, Tim for 15 yards to the NU0, 1ST DOWN NEB, TOUCHDOWN (3rd & 8)

Martinez, T. pass complete to Marlowe, Tim for 15 yards to the NEB41, 1ST DOWN NEB (3rd & 10)

Martinez, T. pass complete to Marlowe, Tim for 15 yards to the NEB48, 1ST DOWN NEB (3rd & 11)

• Fire 1

And a bunch of those were on 3rd and long. Not saying Marlowe is the next coming of Crabtree - but you can't deny the kid went up and made some great grabs on 3rd and long. A couple of those were bad passes he pulled in while taking a hit.

Martinez, T. pass complete to Marlowe, Tim for 8 yards to the NEB45, 1ST DOWN NEB. (3rd & 6)

Martinez, T. pass complete to 6-Marlowe, Tim for 6 yards to the NEB31 1ST DOWN NEB (3rd & 5)

Martinez, T. pass complete to Marlowe, Tim for 15 yards to the NU0, 1ST DOWN NEB, TOUCHDOWN (3rd & 8)

Martinez, T. pass complete to Marlowe, Tim for 15 yards to the NEB41, 1ST DOWN NEB (3rd & 10)

Martinez, T. pass complete to Marlowe, Tim for 15 yards to the NEB48, 1ST DOWN NEB (3rd & 11)

yes, we could use a Swift/Peterson duo once again.

Nice data. Thank you sir!

Doesnt really matter how good Turner, K Bell or any other WR becomes. They will never get a chance to be consistent in play making because we will rotate about 6 Diff recievers every game and if one does well he will dissappear. Most offenses that have star Wr's only take them off the field when they need a breather. They get to stay in the game and RUN or BEAT the guy covering him up all game to set up that big play.

I know you will all say i dont know what i am talkin about..

Doesnt really matter how good Turner, K Bell or any other WR becomes. They will never get a chance to be consistent in play making because we will rotate about 6 Diff recievers every game and if one does well he will dissappear. Most offenses that have star Wr's only take them off the field when they need a breather. They get to stay in the game and RUN or BEAT the guy covering him up all game to set up that big play.

I know you will all say i dont know what i am talkin about..

there's plenty of truth to that. i think some of it has to do w/ what we ask of our WRs. on running downs, our WRs are most active blocking...whereas a guy like Julio Jones is loafing in the backfield because he doesn't have much of a part of the run game. I think (or at least it seems) we tend to expect more our of our WRs in all facets of the game than many other teams. At the end of the day some are better blockers, and others are more dynamic and/or better route runners/receivers. that's why they tend to rotate a lot more...it's situational.

As long as we don't obviously separate wide receiver sets depending on whether we're running, or throwing, I don't think it matters much.

We've had this discussion about Turner multiple times - the dude straight up admitted to not giving 100% last year, dogging it in practice, not knowing the playbook well enough, etc. Outside of him, what other receivers disappeared? I can't think of any. Bell had a pretty good year this last year and he was on the field often.