Trayvon Martin and "Stand Your Ground" in FL

IF Zimmerman prevails (and since none of us were there, we are left to believe only what the justice system eventually tells us), it begs a few questions:

1. Are the folks who went on TV and openly called for retaliation against whites prosecutable?

2. Will the mainstream TV "journalists" who rushed to judgement even attempt to apologize?

3. Will the members of congress who rushed to judgement even attempt to apologize?

IF true, it does remind us of the Duke case, and we can ask who (outside of the prosecutor) paid any penalty for their part in inflaming the situation?

1. No idea.

2. No.. The most of the media never manned up on the Duke case, in fact some continued to deny the facts. Few will ever say they were wrong.

3. No.. This has never been about Trey or Zimmerman, it is about advancing their own agenda, and being in the news, few will call them to the mat over this, fewer will ever take back their comments.

• 2 weeks later...

• 6 months later...

Bottom line is, if Zimmerman didn't follow Trayvon none of this would have happened.

The police told him not to follow him and he chose to continue following him. That's not standing your ground.

This is where Nebraska law gets it right. If you feel threatened, you're supposed to flee, not stand your ground and defend yourself. Easier said than done, but if Zimmerman felt threatened, he should have left. Not pursued.

• 6 months later...

Its a interesting case, guilty or not is hard to say. I watched some of his police video where his walked through the thing. Pretty enlightening. It might just come down to what evidence can and cannot be presented

Bottom line is, if Zimmerman didn't follow Trayvon none of this would have happened.

The police told him not to follow him and he chose to continue following him. That's not standing your ground.

This is where Nebraska law gets it right. If you feel threatened, you're supposed to flee, not stand your ground and defend yourself. Easier said than done, but if Zimmerman felt threatened, he should have left. Not pursued.

I would disagree with that law. If you are always fleeing because you feel threatened then the shady people start coming cause no one is ever standing up to them. The police can't be everywhere and only a fool would rely on the police 24/7 to protect them from every danger.

I would disagree with that law. If you are always fleeing because you feel threatened then the shady people start coming cause no one is ever standing up to them. The police can't be everywhere and only a fool would rely on the police 24/7 to protect them from every danger.

Like Trayvon?

And during his police walk though he said after he was told to leave, he was headed back to his car when Trayvon confronted him and then attacked him, which led to a on the ground wrestling match. At some point Trayvon attempted to grab Zimmerman's gun, and this is when Zimmerman says he got full control of his weapon and fired a single shot into the victims chest.

As to stand your ground or not, my feeling is there is a time to run and a time to fight. Sometimes you do not get a choice, and sometimes there is just no where else to run that is safer than standing your ground. The freedom to make a determination about your own well being is pretty important.

Jury selection has started.

IYHO, is he innocent or guilty? If guilty, what SHOULD be the charges: 1st degree? 2nd? 3rd? Stupidity?

Its a interesting case, guilty or not is hard to say. I watched some of his police video where his walked through the thing. Pretty enlightening. It might just come down to what evidence can and cannot be presented

Not sure what to think. It'll be interesting to see what evidence is presented. But from where I sit now, I'm not sure how they can do to prove what happened without any witnesses (that I'm aware of) to help.