Trayvon Martin and "Stand Your Ground" in FL

The media has spun this way out of control...

There should be justice, not because the kid was black, or that Zimmerman is painted as a racist, but because that the right answer needs to come out, which probably won't happen...

This looks like a close case . . . the jury will hear the facts and we'll get an answer.

Jury selection has started.

IYHO, is he innocent or guilty? If guilty, what SHOULD be the charges: 1st degree? 2nd? 3rd? Stupidity?

Its a interesting case, guilty or not is hard to say. I watched some of his police video where his walked through the thing. Pretty enlightening. It might just come down to what evidence can and cannot be presented

Not sure what to think. It'll be interesting to see what evidence is presented. But from where I sit now, I'm not sure how they can do to prove what happened without any witnesses (that I'm aware of) to help.

It turns out there was a witness that might be able to substaniate everything Zimmerman claims. Unfortunately, Zimmerman shot and killed that witness.

Bottom line is, if Zimmerman didn't follow Trayvon none of this would have happened.

The police told him not to follow him and he chose to continue following him. That's not standing your ground.

This is where Nebraska law gets it right. If you feel threatened, you're supposed to flee, not stand your ground and defend yourself. Easier said than done, but if Zimmerman felt threatened, he should have left. Not pursued.

I would disagree with that law. If you are always fleeing because you feel threatened then the shady people start coming cause no one is ever standing up to them. The police can't be everywhere and only a fool would rely on the police 24/7 to protect them from every danger.

Like Trayvon?

I would bet you Trayvon did something to Zimmerman that would've made him pull out his gun. Too many young kids have an attitude these days.

Jury has been selected.

The lawyers have selected 10 Seminole County residents -- six jurors and four alternates -- to serve as jurors for a trial which is expected to last two to four weeks, and is sure to be closely watched across the nation.

All six of the jurors selected are women, and five are white. The descriptions below, including the age and race or ethnicity of potential jurors, are based on the observations of a reporter in the courtroom.

The jurors will be back in court Monday morning for opening statements.

Orlando Sentinel

Jury has been selected.

The lawyers have selected 10 Seminole County residents -- six jurors and four alternates -- to serve as jurors for a trial which is expected to last two to four weeks, and is sure to be closely watched across the nation.

All six of the jurors selected are women, and five are white. The descriptions below, including the age and race or ethnicity of potential jurors, are based on the observations of a reporter in the courtroom.

Orlando Sentinel

Interesting . . .

Jury has been selected.

Orlando Sentinel

Interesting . . .

Indeed. I believe the usual thinking would be having women on the jury would tend to benefit the prosecution is this case. They might be seen as more receptive to "this mother's child is never coming home" type of argument. Not necessarily my opinion but just a thought from my almost-nil legal experience.

Indeed. I believe the usual thinking would be having women on the jury would tend to benefit the prosecution is this case. They might be seen as more receptive to "this mother's child is never coming home" type of argument. Not necessarily my opinion but just a thought from my almost-nil legal experience.

IMO, it depends on the type of crime. I'd probably have a slight preference for female jurors in this case. I'm sure the racial angle will be beaten to death . . .

Like Trayvon?

I would bet you Trayvon did something to Zimmerman that would've made him pull out his gun. Too many young kids have an attitude these days.

And therefore, he deserved to die?

no, not necessarily but when you get into a scuffle with someone sometimes the worst happens. I mean if you knew someone had a gun would you still be running your mouth and risk getting shot?

Like Trayvon?

no, not necessarily but when you get into a scuffle with someone sometimes the worst happens. I mean if you knew someone had a gun would you still be running your mouth and risk getting shot?

getting shot is so exponentially disproportionate to running your mouth. that statement is absolutely asinine.

Like Trayvon?

getting shot is so exponentially disproportionate to running your mouth. that statement is absolutely asinine.

why would you tempt someone with a gun though to shoot you? when people get all worked up a fight is usually going to happen unless there is other people around to stop it.

why would you tempt someone with a gun though to shoot you? when people get all worked up a fight is usually going to happen unless there is other people around to stop it.

why would anyone shoot an unarmed human, who was walking away?

yeah you might want to get more than 1 side of the story.