It's warm out... Ideas for the grill

So its warm early, and I am already running out of new ideas for the grill. Last summers big hits were pizza and whole chickens (rotisserie, or grilled whole), this year I have messed around with coal smoked pork ribs (awesome), grilled oysters (awesome, but over cooks fast), beef back ribs (not so much), and planked trout (huge hit)... Anyone have thoughts on what to try next?

Also I have pheasant from my hunting trip to SD last year, and some wild bore. Both are difficult to find recipes for, any thoughts on cooking those bad boys and not turning them into leather....

So its warm early, and I am already running out of new ideas for the grill. Last summers big hits were pizza and whole chickens (rotisserie, or grilled whole), this year I have messed around with coal smoked pork ribs (awesome), grilled oysters (awesome, but over cooks fast), beef back ribs (not so much), and planked trout (huge hit)... Anyone have thoughts on what to try next?

Also I have pheasant from my hunting trip to SD last year, and some wild bore. Both are difficult to find recipes for, any thoughts on cooking those bad boys and not turning them into leather....

How did you do your pizza on the grill? I was going to do that this weekend.

Depends on how your are doing it. Last year I started with premade crusts (If you live in Lincoln you can get these at Le Quarter), I then took a good jar of marinara and simmered it down until it had the consistency of pizza sauce (slightly thickened for me, sometimes), I also jazzed it up with garlic/oregano/red pepper and other stuff. For toppings I keep it really simple. I will go to the deli at Leon's and pick up a few kinds of ham (German speck was a favorite), some cured sausages etc, and loose Italian sausage (I like spicy). Also pick up some basil (or grow it, really easy to do) and fresh mozzarella (you can get the grated but I like to look of melted cheese pools as opposed to a pie covered in it), and Parmesan cheese (I get a chunk grate it myself, you can use the green can if you want).

To grill: Start your grill, I set it to high for a little while to get it nice and clean, then turn the heat to low or just above. I take the crusts and brush the back side with olive oil, then flip the crust and brush again (this will help make the back golden and add some grill marks). Then some sauce, go light to start, toppings, again go lightly your first few times, and mozzarella, drizzle some oil, grind some black pepper. Put this on the grill (If you dont have a peal, use a sheet pan that is upside down, the oil will let it slide as well), put the lid down and leave it there! Give it a minute or two and check it QUICKLY, the less you open the lid the better. It is done once the cheese is melted (sometimes it will get brown spots a very good thing) and the crust is firm and golden on the bottom (3-10 minutes depending). Take off the grill, put basil on top and the parm. I wait a minute before cutting. Serve like normal pizza. The good thing is this is very good and even if you mess up a time or two it is still good eating. Also if you get raw sasage make sure you cook it first. All you are doing on the grill is heating it through.

If you want to get advanced, you can use a pizza stone and fresh dough, with home sauce etc. This is how I do it now but it takes a tone more time. I will go into that in a PM if you want

Depends on how your are doing it. Last year I started with premade crusts (If you live in Lincoln you can get these at Le Quarter), I then took a good jar of marinara and simmered it down until it had the consistency of pizza sauce (slightly thickened for me, sometimes), I also jazzed it up with garlic/oregano/red pepper and other stuff. For toppings I keep it really simple. I will go to the deli at Leon's and pick up a few kinds of ham (German speck was a favorite), some cured sausages etc, and loose Italian sausage (I like spicy). Also pick up some basil (or grow it, really easy to do) and fresh mozzarella (you can get the grated but I like to look of melted cheese pools as opposed to a pie covered in it), and Parmesan cheese (I get a chunk grate it myself, you can use the green can if you want).

To grill: Start your grill, I set it to high for a little while to get it nice and clean, then turn the heat to low or just above. I take the crusts and brush the back side with olive oil, then flip the crust and brush again (this will help make the back golden and add some grill marks). Then some sauce, go light to start, toppings, again go lightly your first few times, and mozzarella, drizzle some oil, grind some black pepper. Put this on the grill (If you dont have a peal, use a sheet pan that is upside down, the oil will let it slide as well), put the lid down and leave it there! Give it a minute or two and check it QUICKLY, the less you open the lid the better. It is done once the cheese is melted (sometimes it will get brown spots a very good thing) and the crust is firm and golden on the bottom (3-10 minutes depending). Take off the grill, put basil on top and the parm. I wait a minute before cutting. Serve like normal pizza. The good thing is this is very good and even if you mess up a time or two it is still good eating. Also if you get raw sasage make sure you cook it first. All you are doing on the grill is heating it through.

If you want to get advanced, you can use a pizza stone and fresh dough, with home sauce etc. This is how I do it now but it takes a tone more time. I will go into that in a PM if you want

Holy WOW!

Okay, that sounds great! I was thinking of just using a pre-made crust, loading up the stuff I want on it and putting on the grill but not over the heat, like I have 3 burners I would just have two of them going and keep the pizza over the burner that was not on.

What do you think of that idea?

Here are a few ways to do your pheasant and wild boar.

First off if you are planning on smoking your meat and don't have a smoker I suggest you get a smoker that heats with propane. Its a whole lot easier to regulate the heat.

Pheasant

A great game for a great meal

By Derrick Riches, About.com Guide

Pheasant is often over looked nowadays. This game fowl has a unique flavor that is perfect on the grill. What you have to remember is that Pheasant, like most game, has a low fat content and can dry out quickly. This is why many pheasant recipes call for larding. Larding is a cooking process where you add fat to the meat to keep it moist and flavorful. Regardless of how you cook pheasant it has a wonderful flavor of its own so don't overdo it.

These days you can buy your pheasant wild or farm raised, which is more common. The farm raised variety has a little more fat to it and a milder flavor. Most pheasant you buy these days are going to be cleaned and prepared which leaves the consumer unaware of if the pheasant has been "hung" or not. Traditionally, fresh pheasant is hung up to "age" for a few days. One of the reasons for doing this is to allow the oils in the feathers to travel into the meat adding flavor and moisture.

Larding: As I said pheasant is low in fat and will dry out if proper measures aren't taken to prevent this. The traditional method of larding is to wrap pheasant in bacon (or pancetta if you are looking for something more Italian). As the bacon cooks it releases fat which keeps the meat of the pheasant basted. Another method of larding is to simply baste your game bird with oil based sauces or marinades. This will also add moisture. Remember there is a difference between adding water to meat and adding fat. Fat is perfect for very lean meats while water is better for fatty meats.

Grilling: Pheasant, once prepared, should be cooked pretty similarly to chicken. Pheasants tend to be a little smaller than many chickens so the cooking time will be a little less. Whole pheasant is perfect for the rotisserie and pheasant breasts are a great alternative to chicken breasts since pheasant has a much better flavor.

Smoking: Since pheasant is relatively small the smoking times are not that long. A typical pheasant can be smoked in 2 to 3 hours at a smoking temperature around 250 degrees F. I suggest the slightly higher temperature since pheasant is as prone to bacteria as turkey. Using a higher temperature helps to reduce the risk of contamination. Of course this is for hot smoking, not cold smoking.

However you want to prepare it, I really encourage you to give pheasant a try. For the uninitiated it is a pleasant surprise. This tasty game bird is excellent for a small dinner or you can get several and serve them for a huge crowd. Either way, it’s sure to please your guests.

<X><X><X><X><X><X><X><X><X><X><X><X><X>

Barbecued Pheasant on the Grill

Jul 11th, 2010 | By Hank Shaw | Category: Pheasant, Grouse, Quail, Recipe, Wild Game | Comments | 18 Comments |

Photo by Holly A. Heyser

It’s hot. I don’t feel like cooking outside much. And I have lots of wild game in the freezer still. What to do? BBQ! I’ve been doing a lot of grilling and barbecue over at Simply Recipes with Elise, and nearly everything I do there with domestic meats translates well with wild game.

Actually, the first grilling experiment I did with her this summer was a wild game trick I modified to work with a domestic turkey. One of my favorite ways to cook pheasant is slow and low on the grill, using indirect heat to coax the often sinewy legs into tenderness; you can do this with wild turkey legs, too. For flavor, you paint the legs with a barbecue sauce toward the end of the cooking time.

Here’s how to do it:

• Brine the legs with a solution of 1/4 cup kosher salt to 4 cups water, plus a couple seasonings (I use bay leaves and cracked black pepper a lot). Don’t go nuts on the seasonings because you are going to use a barbecue sauce later. Brine the meat for up to 12 hours.
  • Build a wood or charcoal fire on just half your grill area, or turn on just one burner on a gas grill. Let the coals or wood burn down to a steady heat, then put the pheasant or turkey on the cooler side of the grill. Cover and let this cook slowly for at least 30 minutes before checking.
  • After 35 minutes, turn the legs and move them around so they cook evenly. You will probably need an hour to 90 minutes for pheasant legs, up to 2 1/2 hours for wild turkey legs. Remember, slower is better.
  • When 1 hour has elapsed, paint the legs with your favorite barbecue sauce and continue cooking. Let them cook 5-10 minutes before painting again.
  • Once the pheasant is done, paint it one more time with the sauce and move it to the hot side of the grill to get a little char. Don’t walk away at this point, because the sugar in the sauce can blacken in a hurry; a little black is OK, but you don’t want a wild turkey briquette.

The result is fantastic: Wild game bird legs will always be denser and more flavorful than domestic meats, and this slow-and-low technique helps retain moisture and break down the considerable connective tissue in wild turkeys and pheasants.

You can use any barbecue sauce you want, but here are three I developed for Simply Recipes:

Photo by Holly A. Heyser

Elise and I also played around with a beer can chicken recipe, and it was so good I knew I had to try to make beer can pheasant, using my last remaining whole pheasant.

If you’ve never eaten beer can chicken before, you are missing out. It may be the second greatest thing the NASCAR crowd has brought to American cooking, behind true barbecue itself. Done right, you get a crispy skin, meltingly tender breast meat, and the legs and thigh meat practically falls off the bone. It’s the perfect chicken. But would it work for pheasant?

Photo by Holly A. Heyser

First problem: Pheasants have slim hips. Too slim to jam a regular beer can up inside them. Hmmm… what sort of can might fit in a pheasant? I got it! Red Bull. Now I detest this stuff — tastes like sweet tarts — so I poured it all out and washed the can well to get rid of the Red Bull taste, then I filled the can up halfway with beer.

I just managed to get the Red Bull can up into the pheasant, as even it was slightly too wide. But it works.

Oiled up and dusted with salt, black pepper and thyme leaves, I closed the lid on Mr. Pheasant and set the burners to keep the temperature up at about 500 degrees for the first 10 minutes or so. I then dropped the heat to roughly 450 for the next 20 minutes, then dropped it again to about 400 degrees for another half-hour.

Photo by Holly A. Heyser

Turns out a pheasant cooked this way needs only about 45 minutes. I overcooked mine by thinking it would need an hour. But, the skin was crackling crispy, and the legs looked fine. I let the pheasant rest for 10 minutes before cutting into it.

The moment of truth: When I sliced into the breast, it was, miraculously, still juicy! Definitely cooked more than I wanted it to be, but it was not dry at all. All the steam coming out of the can kept the breast moist. Thank you, Red Bull can!

Could this work for other game birds? Maybe. The key is the can. I’d try a Foster’s Lager “oil can” for a wild turkey, and I bet the Red Bull can would work on a large grouse. Not sure who makes cans small enough for partridges or quail, however.

Hunters out there: Do you grill or barbecue your game birds? If so, care to share any tips and tricks?

BEER CAN PHEASANT

Beer can chicken is one of the best ways I know to roast a chicken, especially in summertime, when you can do this recipe on the grill. I made beer can chicken for my friend Elise recently, and I immediately thought it might work for pheasant, too. It does. But you need to do a few modifications. First off, while you can jam a regular beer can into a pheasant, the birds are generally too small. But a Red Bull can will fit. Fill it halfway with beer.

You also should consider brining your pheasant first, especially if it was a wild bird, and definitely if it was an old bird. Mix 1/4 cup of kosher salt with 4 cups of water and add some seasonings: I like bay leaves, rosemary and cracked black pepper. Submerge the pheasant in this brine for 4-8 hours, then drain and let sit in the fridge uncovered the next day — this helps you get a crispy skin. After that, you can do this like a regular beer can chicken. This recipe would also work with large grouse.

Serves 2.

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time:

• 1 empty Red Bull can
  • Enough beer to fill half the can (use any beer you want)
  • 1 whole pheasant, plucked and gutted
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil to coat bird
  • Salt and black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves

1. Take the pheasant out and let it rest at room temperature for about 30 minutes. Bring the beer out, too, as you don’t want cold beer in the can.
  2. Prepare your grill for indirect heat. If you are using charcoal, put the coals on one side of the grill, leaving another side free of coals. If you are using a gas grill, fire up only half of the burners.
  3. Rub the pheasant all over with olive oil. Mix the salt, pepper, and thyme in a bowl and sprinkle it over the pheasant.
  4. Fill the Red Bull can halfway with beer; it doesn’t matter what kind. Drink the rest of the beer. Put the can inside the pheasant’s cavity and place the pheasant on the cool side of the grill. The legs and the can will act like a tripod to keep the pheasant upright.
  5. Cover the grill and come back in 40 minutes. After that time, check the pheasant and add more coals if needed. Stick a thermometer into the thickest part of the pheasant’s thigh — you want it to read 160 degrees. If it’s not there, close the grill lid and come back in 15 minutes. Keep checking this way until the pheasant is done. If you don’t have a meat thermometer, poke the spot between the leg and breast with a knife and look for the juices to run clear, not pink.
  6. Carefully move the pheasant to a pan. Let the pheasant rest for 10 minutes. Carefully lift it off the can and carve up into serving pieces.

Simple Tips and Reminders For Cooking Wild Boar.

A good thing to know and keep in mind before you start preparing Wild Pork is that the meat contains much less fat than Domestic or Production Pork. The meat will be a bit darker and the grain will be tighter.

This doesn't mean the meat will be tough or taste bad. It just simply means that if not prepared correctly it can be dry compared to store bought pork. This is important to remember when baking, smoking, or grilling whole portions such as legs, ribs and other large portions.

Another good point to keep in mind is that Wild Pork has different fat than domestic or Production Pork.

Wild Pork will have "Soft Fat" and Production Pork will have "Hard Fat".

Soft Fat is not as desirable and should be trimmed away when possible. It is worth noting,, that soft fat is not nearly so unhealthy as hard fat.

Bigger boar are often criticised and marked as tough and not fit for table fare, well folks,, that is flat out WRONG!! Lots of HIGH CLASS RESERAUNTS consider Wild Boar as a Fine Table Fare and the bigger older boar is preferred. Most every one is familiar with the commercial slaughter house for Wild Hog in Devine TX. They want hogs over 200 pounds and pay more per pound for those hogs. This meat is being served in resteraunts with more stars than what shines in the sky and one Medallion OF Wild Boar cost more than the guns we used to kill'em with.

If the meat is prepared correctly BEFORE COOKING it will be the best pork of all.

The first thing to make sure of, is a quick clean kill is made on any game animal. If the animal was chased, gut shot, or died a slow death then then a strong taste could result. There is a solution to this problem though.

WILD MEAT SOAK and TENDORIZER

I use this technique for all the wild game animals I take and I highly and frequently recommend this for all wild game.

# - Skin and Debone or Quarter the animals out and place the meat in a large ice chest with the following mixture.

# - ICE WATER!! Along with 1/2 - 1 cup of vinegar and a medium or large (18 - 20 oz) size container or real lemon juice.

# - Soak large portions of meat for 2 0r even 3 days changing the water as needed and keeping the water ICE COLD and all meat covered with the ice water. Soak the meat till it turns white and all blood is leached out.

**NOTE, if the meat begins to darken or turn blue then you got too much vinegar! The meat is not spoiled!! Change the ice water and reduce or eliminate the vinegar.

Smoking (slow cooking Quarters or Whole Hogs

This is the most common and preferred way for preparing wild pork. Usually to be served at friend and family get-to-gethers.

First of all read the tips and reminders and apply those to those tips in preparing the meat for best results.

# - Gather your favorite seasonings such as lemons, peppers, onions, potatos, and any other seasonings that suit your taste and get that part taken care of.

# - Completely wrap the meat so the vapors are locked in as well as possible and the drippings will not escape.

# - Slow smoke (or bake) at about 275 - 300 degrees turning or rotating as needed to insure even cooking. The time will vary greatly depending on the size.

# - Whole hogs should cook overnight or all day. Quarters will usually cook in 5 - 6 hours.

If your wanting to serve the meat in slices you should cook it till you notice that the meat is about ready to fall of the bone and has become very tender. At that point you would unwrap the meat and brown and baste to firm up the meat.

If you're wanting the meat extremely tender and juicy then it should remain covered and cooked till it falls off the bone.

Breakfast Sausage From The Start

Remember I'm not a chef, just an ole east Texas Country Hick. Most folks like my sausage and this is how it's done. First of all pork and other raw meat has germs, so use your common sense and keep things clean and separated.

While processing your kill you'll want to save certain portions for grinding. Such as smaller pieces of meat that were trimmed or leftover from processing chops and other choice cuts. I usually grind a large portion of the hog when I decide to make sausage.

These are the things you'll need for this project. Sharp knives, ice chest with ice (you must chill the meat somehow), meat grinder, one pound package of sausage seasoning, 2 ounces of ground sage and whatever you like to package the meat with.

• When I decide to make sausage I usually decide to grind all of the hog except maybe a front leg and I always save the loins (Back Strap and Tenderloin) for the frying pan. The rest will be ground up (if I'm going to make a mess then I'm going to make enough sausage where it justifies such a mess)
  • These saved portions will need to be chilled and soaked in ice water. This will draw the blood and it makes for easier and faster preparation. (cold meat slices and grinds easier than warm meat)
  • After the meat has chilled you can begin to dice the meat into 1 inch to 2 inch squares. And keep them chilled on ice.
  • When you've diced all the meat you can add the seasoning.

About The Seasoning

Simply purchase some Prepackaged Sausage Seasoning from your local grocery store. There are many kinds and its all roughly the same thing. Usually one bag (one pound) will do 25 pounds of meat and cost less than 5.00 bucks.

Also pick up 1 or 2 ounces Ground Sage.

• Now comes the tricky part. In most situations this meat is not weighed or is not 25 pounds. Don't worry about it.
  • Spread the chilled, diced meat out where it's not piled up. You can spread it out on pans or just spread it over the counter. You'll want the meat grouped tightly but not piled up.
  • Then sprinkle the seasoning over A SMALL PORTION OF THE DICED MEAT.
  • At this point you will want to grind a small serving (1/4 pound). Make a thin sausage patty and fry it up. If the taste is OK then proceed by sprinkling the rest of the diced meat in the same manner as before. (remember to keep your cooking area and utensils clean and separate from the grinding area)
  • If it's too strong take the seasoned meat and destribute it among the unseasoned meat..
  • Sprinkle the seasoning over another small portion, grind a serving and fry it up. Do this until the flavor is acceptable.

About The Flavor

If the sausage becomes to hot yet still lacks flavor then you will want to add the extra Ground Sage. Usually you can add 1.5 ounces of Ground Sage to a pound of seasoning to reduce the heat affect and gain more flavor. Note-Keep in mind the flavor will weaken a small bit after refrigeration and even more after freezing.

• After adjusting the flavor and seasoning to the meat you will need to start grinding it up BEFORE the meat warms up. The colder the meat the easier it will grind.
  • After grinding the pork simply package it (I prefer Zip-Lock freezer bags) and store it.

Wild Boar Cooking

Wild boar is lean meat that should, as a rule, be cooked at lower temperatures than other meats. Avoid overcooking. Wild boar, raised like beef, is range fed and therefore can be served on the rare side. A rule of thumb for cooking wild boar is “low and slow”. The temperature for cooking roasts for example, is 250-275 degrees Fahrenheit. The amount of time depends on your personal preference as to how well done you would like to cook your meat. For chops, bake with a sauce for best results or if you prefer, pan-fry at a medium heat. Always check frequently so as not to overcook.

When preparing wild boar for cooking remember, never thaw or cook this meat in a microwave, as it will become very tough and dry. Slowly thaw meat the day before and marinate overnight for best results. Pineapple juice or wine is a particularly good choice for marinade because it contains an enzyme that actively breaks down muscle fiber. Therefore it is highly effective as a meat tenderizer.

The wild boar’s light fat layer can be easily trimmed. But many cooks believe the fat layer provides a “self-basting” element and helps retain succulence.

TIP

The most important thing is to marinate it very well. If you find it frozen, thaw before marinating!

Barbecuing

Wild boar is excellent barbecued. When prepared properly it is flavorful and very tender. Wild boar also makes tasty sausage, jerky and ground meat products.

Smoking (slow cooking Quarters or Wild Boar Hogs)

This is the most common and preferred way for preparing wild pork. Usually to be served at friend and family get-togethers. First of all read the tips and reminders and apply those to those tips in preparing the meat for best results.

Gather your favorite seasonings such as lemons, peppers, onions, potatoes, and any other seasonings that suit your taste and get that part taken care of.

Completely wrap the meat so the vapors are locked in as well as possible and the drippings will not escape.

Slow smoke (or bake) at about 275 - 300 degrees turning or rotating as needed to insure even cooking. The time will vary greatly depending on the size.

Whole hogs should cook overnight or all day. Quarters will usually cook in 5 - 6 hours.

Good Luck and you will also want a large cooler of chunks of ice water and beer.

T_O_B

G>B>R

• Fire 1

Holy WOW!

Okay, that sounds great! I was thinking of just using a pre-made crust, loading up the stuff I want on it and putting on the grill but not over the heat, like I have 3 burners I would just have two of them going and keep the pizza over the burner that was not on.

What do you think of that idea?

I would go with the low heat. You kind of want the bottom to crisp up, and with the top down you are cooking from both sides due to convection, this will melt the cheese and help set your sauce... Give it a try though, there really is no wrong way to do it.

I've got to try that pizza thing.

Ever tried introducing smoke?

I haven't. I am planning on getting a wood fired oven installed in the next few years but until then I am getting one of these http://www.kettlepizza.com/

at that point I am going to try using some hard woods to get a little smokey flavor on the pie. Although I think jst using charcoal will help with that. Now you have me thinking, I will try it soon....

Also TOB thanks man great info...

I&#39;ve grilled pizza on a charcoal kettle grill quite a few times brick oven style from the bbq pit boys site that was mentioned, using a pre-made crust from Le Quartier (also mentioned).

&nbsp;

All you do is get your charcoal going in in a chimney starter, pour it out evenly, place red bricks on top of the grate, and allow them to warm up for about 15 minutes. Then cook your pizza on it.

&nbsp;

For the pizza I like to use the Le Quartier crust, brust the bottom and crust with olive oil, spread a thin layer of cream cheese on top, then mozzarella, then large pepperoni, then fresh tomato, then a light layer of sauce, then a little more cheese. This is quasi Chicago style and will prevent the crust from getting soggy. If you want to introduce smoke it is good to use small pieces of wood that will burn fast because you definitely do not want smoke during the entire cooking process, it&#39;s just too much.

&nbsp;

**DISCLAIMER**

Do not start watching the bbq pit boys videos if you are hungry.

• Fire 1

I&#39;ve grilled pizza on a charcoal kettle grill quite a few times brick oven style from the bbq pit boys site that was mentioned, using a pre-made crust from Le Quartier (also mentioned).

&nbsp;

All you do is get your charcoal going in in a chimney starter, pour it out evenly, place red bricks on top of the grate, and allow them to warm up for about 15 minutes. Then cook your pizza on it.

&nbsp;

For the pizza I like to use the Le Quartier crust, brust the bottom and crust with olive oil, spread a thin layer of cream cheese on top, then mozzarella, then large pepperoni, then fresh tomato, then a light layer of sauce, then a little more cheese. This is quasi Chicago style and will prevent the crust from getting soggy. If you want to introduce smoke it is good to use small pieces of wood that will burn fast because you definitely do not want smoke during the entire cooking process, it&#39;s just too much.

&nbsp;

**DISCLAIMER**

Do not start watching the bbq pit boys videos if you are hungry.

Glad to see I am not the only one that cant get my dough totally round...

If you live in Lincoln, go get a pizza peel from Hockenbergs at 20th & Cornhusker. They cost maybe $15 and they are an essential tool for making pizza. Mine looks like this:

pizzapeel.jpg

I've grilled pizza many times. It's a family favorite. I typically grill my crust solo first, just for a minute, then take it off the grill. I flip it over so the uncooked side is on the bottom and the side that got the heat forms the base for the sauce/toppings. This helps with uniform cooking.

EDIT - there's a Hockenbergs in Omaha at 70th & F, just south of the Interstate.

There's also a Hockenbergs near Minneapolis at 2015 Silver Bell Rd Eagan, MN.

If you live in Lincoln, go get a pizza peel from Hockenbergs at 20th & Cornhusker. They cost maybe $15 and they are an essential tool for making pizza. Mine looks like this:

pizzapeel.jpg

I've grilled pizza many times. It's a family favorite. I typically grill my crust solo first, just for a minute, then take it off the grill. I flip it over so the uncooked side is on the bottom and the side that got the heat forms the base for the sauce/toppings. This helps with uniform cooking.

EDIT - there's a Hockenbergs in Omaha at 70th & F, just south of the Interstate.

There's also a Hockenbergs near Minneapolis at 2015 Silver Bell Rd Eagan, MN.

So you dont use a stone... Just place your raw pizza dough on the grill and firm it up?

Try this for a dough recipe. It's hardy enough for the grill and makes excellent pizza, calzones, breadsticks, etc.

Pizza Crust

6 cups flour, sifted

2 tsp sea salt

2 cups water, 100-110 degrees

3 tsp sugar

4 1/2 tsp Bread Machine yeast

2 tbsp olive oil

Dissolve the sugar in the warm water, then add the yeast. Let it sit until a thick foam cap forms. Meanwhile, sift the flour, then mix in the salt. Once the cap has formed on the yeast, pour contents into a bread machine. Add flour & salt, then the olive oil. Run the machine on the Dough cycle and remove as soon as it's done mixing. You may have to add a little olive oil as it mixes. Let the dough rest for five minutes, then cut into two equal portions, and roll out into pizza rounds using a pin. Let the dough rest and rise for a minimum of 30 minutes before starting to make pizza.

This makes two 14" pizza crusts. If you're going to grill pizza, make four or six crusts from the dough as it comes out of the mixer.

Note - you can also buy large pizza pans at Hockenbergs, also very cheap.

So you dont use a stone... Just place your raw pizza dough on the grill and firm it up?

I've done both. I like putting the crust directly onto the grates best.

If I'm baking pizza in the oven I put my stone in but I usually use the pans, and just use the stone to regulate heat. If you're using a stone you really need to heat them up for an hour before you cook or they lose too much surface temp when you put your crust on. On the grill, that's a lot of pre-heat time.