The Masters | April 5-8, 2012 | Augusta, Georgia

tschu

The 2012 Masters Tournament

Augusta National Golf Club

Augusta, Georgia

Masters_Logo.jpg

augusta 12th hole.jpg

It's that glorious time of the year. The time of year where everyone, regardless of age, sex, and sporting interest, comes to appreciate the great game of golf and the classic tournament played between the pines of Augusta National. This is shaping up to be one of the most exciting Masters in history, which is great, because last year's finish is going to be tough to top. Lets meet some of the players:

141889598_crop_650x440.jpg?1332715755

Tiger Woods

Tiger is coming off his first victory in 30 months. He has put his famous 'stinger' back into his arsenal and his putting has drastically improved from the start of the year. He leads the PGA tour this year in total driving, a staggering fact considering his driving problems throughout his career. And despite his putting woes early, he is now 8th on tour in strokes gained putting for the year. His game is back, but can he will his way to a victory? He hasn't won at Augusta since 2005. Since then, he has finished 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, 6th, 4th, and 4th. Often with a rickety swing and injuries. Look out.

rory.jpg

Rory McIlroy

Rory had a short-lived sitting on top of the golf world throne (or the OWGR, at least). His game is going through a remarkable streak - his last few months here are his results: 3, 3, 2, 4, 1, 11, 2, 5, 2, 3, 1. That is nuts. He is clearly the future of the game of golf and is probably the guy to beat in golf right now, although Tiger might have something to say about that. And he's proven that he can play Augusta, amassing a 4-stroke lead through 3 rounds before melting down on Sunday last year. He bounced back nicely, dominating the US Open in a fashion that hadn't been seen since Tiger's 15 stroke victory at Pebble in 2000. Can he exorcise his demons and win at Augusta this year? We shall see.

Phil-Mickelson-8.jpg

Phil Mickelson

Phil's wife is very hot. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Anyway, Phil the Thrill is always a force to be reckoned with, at least recently, at Augusta. With a short game that is second-to-none, a game (and handedness) which is thought to perfectly suit Augusta, and a track record of success, it is no surprise that he is the 3rd favorite heading into the tournament. With a win early this year, Phil proved that he isn't going anywhere and will continue to be competitive on the PGA tour for quite some time to come.

A few other players to watch:

Charl Schwartzel - how will the South African fare defending his title?

Jason Day - the Australian had quite the year last year in majors but could never quite close the deal. Don't be shocked if he wins here.

Webb Simpson - He appeared to hit rock bottom late last year/early this year, but it looks like he has started to find his game again

Padraig Harrington - went through a multitude of swing changes and is greatly improved this year. A 3-time major winner.

Ryo Ishikawa - the Japanese phenom got a special exemption, but has struggled so far this year.

And my dark horse pick...Mark Wilson.

Nice post. I love golf. So obviously next week is a huge week for me! I like Mickelson to win. Great course for his game and he is putting very well this year. 3rd on tour for strokes gained putting. If he can hit even 60% of the fairways he will win. Tiger is rounding into form so wouldn't be surprised to see him win either. I have 2 darkhorses. Fred Couples. He always plays well here and won on the senior tour last week. He is playing with the big boys this week as a tune up. If his back holds up he could be there with a chance on Sunday afternoon. Keegan Bradley is my other darkhorse. He's long and straight off the tee and putts pretty well with the belly putter. No matter who wins it should be fun to watch. I would love to visit that course before my lifetime. Most beautiful piece of land for golf IMO of course.

Playing on ESPNs Bestball Major Challenge, I believe my group consists of all American players.

Tiger Woods

Robert Garrigus (hopefully a guy that just hangs around for the weekend, but because I picked Tiger, I needed to pick a low tier player)

Bubba Watson

Nick Watney

I'd say Watney could give a good run at the Green Jacket this year, and he is my under the radar pick. Just 6 days away!

This is a great tourney and the only thing I find fault with is that CBS threats it like a pseudo religious event in its commercials.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Most of the marketing and how the broadcast is run is completely out of CBS's hands. They don't even pay that much relative to what it should cost to broadcast the Masters, because they have to put up with so many specific rules outlined by Billy Payne and his Confederate Army