Why is the Rose Bowl so important to the B1G?

Jaybird

I have been talking with some of my friends that follow other B1G schools and it seems as though the thought of playing in the Rose Bowl is more important than playing in the National Championship game and it is almost as if they would rather play in Pasadena than compete for the National Championship. Myself I feel that the Rose Bowl is an awesome bowl and I would love for my Huskers to make it there regularly but I would give up playing in the game in a second if it meant we were playing for the National Title.

I understand traditions etc (see uniform talk) and I am all about keeping traditions and preserving history but I want to win it all. Back when we were in the Big 8 and if we won the Conference we went to the Orange Bowl we were always super excited to go and that was a place we wanted to go every year. For me it was less because of the Orange Bowl and more because it meant we won the conference and most likely would be competing for the National Championship if we made it there, it really could have been any bowl as far as I am concerned.

What say you Huskerboard, what do you think about it?

It's because the National Title game has only been for a few years, whereas the Rose Bowl has around for over 100 years. Since the B1G has had a tie-in to the Rose Bowl long before the National Title game came about, so it's sort of ingrained in their minds as the main goal for the season.

I understand the Rose Bowl has been around that long and that is fine but why that over the National Championship game? Wouldn't you rather compete for championships? I would rather play for titles rather than play in any specific bowl no matter how long the bowl has been around. Before you could go to Rose Bowl and still be in the running for National Championships now only when the BCS title game is held there.

Most OSU fans love the idea of going to the Rose Bowl, but if you asked most of them, they would rather have the Buckeyes playing in the NC game. I think it is the tradition and the fact that no other Big 10 team has made it to the BCS NC game (I know the huskers were in it but that was pre big 10). I am sure if multiple Big 10 teams would make it into the NC game the Rose Bowl would be little less important. It is still a great place to end your season. This isn't a knock on anyone else in the Big 10 and I am sure teams like Michigan and Nebraska feel the same way about the Rose Bowl.

I understand the Rose Bowl has been around that long and that is fine but why that over the National Championship game? Wouldn't you rather compete for championships? I would rather play for titles rather than play in any specific bowl no matter how long the bowl has been around. Before you could go to Rose Bowl and still be in the running for National Championships now only when the BCS title game is held there.

I think it's more if you can't play for the NC, it's Rose Bowl or bust (including against the other BCS bowl games)

I think it's more if you can't play for the NC, it's Rose Bowl or bust (including against the other BCS bowl games)

I guess that makes sense. It just seems that many of my friends that follow other B1G teams don't really seem to care as much about the MNC game. Mind you they are not making a statement about it not being the best way to crown a champion etc they just don't seem to talk about it at all. They only worry about the Rose Bowl. I just don't want the B1G to only be trying for the grand daddy of them all I want teams competing and winning the National Championship and soon dang it! Someone needs to stick it to the SEC! Sooner rather than later hopefully!

I guess that makes sense. It just seems that many of my friends that follow other B1G teams don't really seem to care as much about the MNC game. Mind you they are not making a statement about it not being the best way to crown a champion etc they just don't seem to talk about it at all. They only worry about the Rose Bowl. I just don't want the B1G to only be trying for the grand daddy of them all I want teams competing and winning the National Championship and soon dang it! Someone needs to stick it to the SEC! Sooner rather than later hopefully!

The B1G hasn't been competitive enough as a whole conference to think it would even stand a chance at making a run for the NC. Plus in our conference, you have to go undefeated to make it to the NC which is hard to do.

The B1G hasn't been competitive enough as a whole conference to think it would even stand a chance at making a run for the NC. Plus in our conference, you have to go undefeated to make it to the NC which is hard to do.

A guy can dream can't he! :restore2

A lot of it, i think, comes from until the '70s (?) only ONE Big Ten team was able to go to a bowl (the Rose Bowl) and the other nine by conference rules, sat at home.

Edit: Then for 20+ years it was the conference championship game until they joined the modern world (BCS) in 1998 (after Michigan "lost" the National championship in '97 to **ahem** NU)

A lot of it, i think, comes from until the '70s (?) only ONE Big Ten team was able to go to a bowl (the Rose Bowl) and the other nine by conference rules, sat at home.

There's that. Big# is also an older demographic from when winning the Nat'l Championship was a bit less important than winning your conference. Also they haven't been in THAT many national championship hunts. And when they were ranked in the top, there were certain years cough cough where they had a better chance being tied to the Pac10 champion.

I would rather go to the MNC game. I think I speak for most Michigan fans.

Ohio State, Penn State and Nebraska would all join you in that opinion I think. The other 8 I'll bet pick the Rose Bowl. And its no surprise that the first 4 actually have National Championship Trophies in the case, and the later 8 do not.

Because its the ef'ng Rose Bowl

I don't know that I'm even capable of mustering the words necessary to describe its meaning or importance, if you didn't grow up with it as part of your psyche then you won't understand, it's hardwired in to every fan and firmly engrained in our conference's culture...if you don't get it it's pretty hard to explain.

I understand that the MNC is a better game but still...I want Rose Bowls