DT Nathan Bazata (Iowa Commit)

Wonder what was up with this one. Was he just that into Iowa? Were we just not very interested? Were we not working hard enough to stay in play til we saw more? Would've liked to have seen what he could do at summmer camp. My guess would be that he saw a solid "bird in the hand" and took it.

Wonder what was up with this one. Was he just that into Iowa? Were we just not very interested? Were we not working hard enough to stay in play til we saw more? Would've liked to have seen what he could do at summmer camp. My guess would be that he saw a solid "bird in the hand" and took it.

All I know is these Bazata's are work horses. Not just in sports but, everyday life.

I have no idea for sure but I'm guessing our staff wanted him to walk on instead of offering a schollie. The same with Drew Ott who played at a small school near me. He's a big rangy kid with great athletic skills but with last years small class NU couldn't offer and wanted him to walk on. For some reason Iowa feels they are worthy of a full ride. It's good to see at least one school showing some love for our D1 and D2 (Nebr small class) athletes. Other side of the coin, I'm not throwing blame to our coaches for not offering. If they feel they can recruit a kid with more experience playing in larger classes, I'm sure they feel its a safer bet. Some kids are wiling and maybe financially able to walk on with the hopes of getting a full ride in a few years. Others may not and that's ok.

• Fire 1

I have no idea for sure but I'm guessing our staff wanted him to walk on instead of offering a schollie. The same with Drew Ott who played at a small school near me. He's a big rangy kid with great athletic skills but with last years small class NU couldn't offer and wanted him to walk on. For some reason Iowa feels they are worthy of a full ride. It's good to see at least one school showing some love for our D1 and D2 (Nebr small class) athletes. Other side of the coin, I'm not throwing blame to our coaches for not offering. If they feel they can recruit a kid with more experience playing in larger classes, I'm sure they feel its a safer bet. Some kids are wiling and maybe financially able to walk on with the hopes of getting a full ride in a few years. Others may not and that's ok.

From my understanding we want him as a walk on but there is the possibility of him having if he did well in camp and during the season. But we weren't ready to extend it at this very instant. Iowa generally offers out "x" number of schollies at a spot and tell the kids its first come first serve so you better grab it now.

If I'm a kid looking at a sure thing at a BCS school vs having to wait 8 months just to see about NU and then lose my spot because I held out and someone else told Iowa yes I'll kick myself for the rest of my life.

Its probably not 100% over with this kid but IA does a good job keeping kids committed. If we decide he's one of our targets we'll have to work him pretty hard and get past all the "why did it take you this long to offer?" type of questions. Cotton would probably be the guy trying to do this and honestly....he's good at the upfront sale and get them on board rather than the steal them away.

as we found out with the Urban Meyer "situation," there is no gentleman's agreement on staying away from guys who verbal. If they want him in the end and he wants to make the switch, it'll happen. I don't necessarily see it happening, because I think we'll be in play for some higher-regarded guys, but it could happen with a strong senior season, or filling a spot near the end.

This is not a big loss at all. They just wasted a scholarship on a kid that wasnt even good enough to get a scholarship from the in state school. I think it could hurt more then help.

This thread is starting to read like the drew ott profile!!

Because it's nearly the same situation. Both are very solid players with some solid upside just on the fringe of being scholarshipworthy but likely falling into the preferred walkon category for Nebraska. Iowa wants him so they can tell their fanbase they "stole" a Nebraska kid from Nebraska more than anything else and hope he pans out. Nebraska doesn't lose a lot other than a potential quality walkon, Iowa gets a bit of false chestpumping for it's fanbase and the kid gets a full ride scholarship to a BCS school. I don't like losing walkon candidates but it's hard to be completely against it when it does happen considering the one who ends up with the best deal in the entire thing is the player and that doesn't happen a lot in college athletics these days.

• Fire 1