Niles Paul - Tight End

As the Washington Redskins began their voluntary offseason conditioning program this week, second-year pro Niles Paul started preparing to switch from wide receiver to tight end.

Paul, whom the Redskins drafted in the fifth round out of Nebraska last year, played in 13 games as a rookie, recording two catches for 25 yards. Most of his action came on special teams, but he did start two games at receiver and pleased coaches with his effective blocking.

“Coach gave me a call earlier this offseason and asked me how I’d feel about switching to tight end,” Paul said in a phone interview Friday morning. “I told him, ‘I’ll play wherever you want me.’ I’ve done everything I’ve been asked, and I’ll keep doing it. I’m excited about the position change. I’m excited that coach has enough respect for me that he’d call me to ask me what I thought about it.”

LINK

If the o-coordinator is creative enough to get Paul into some mismatches, it could work out well. If they think he is going to be an every down tight end, I do not think it would work. But if he can come in and be the 2nd tight end and either be in the slot with a receiver outside to give the possiblity of running to his side or passing, or getting him in motion going across the line or out of the backfield, it would get him matched up on some linebackers that are thinking run or safeties that are thinking pass. That would be ideal. We'll have to see how they use him. Good luck to him though.