340x_jimcookebissinger.jpg

+

+

The costs are high, the benefits to students are low, argues Buzz Bissinger, and academics pay the price.

+

Sports Journalist, Daily Beast columnist and Friday Night Lights author

Harry Gerald "Buzz" Bissinger argues that College Football is an expensive and pointless excess that should be banned.

+

+

• "College Football has no academic purpose. Which is why it needs to be banned."

+

• "If the vast majority of major college football programs made money, the argument to ban football might be a more precarious one. But too many of them don't-to the detriment of academic budgets."

+

• "There is a false concept of the football student-athlete that the NCAA endlessly tries to sell, when any major college player will tell you that the demands of the game, a year-round commitment, makes the student half of the equation secondary and superfluous."

+

• "Call me the Grinch. But I would much prefer students going to college to learn...rather than dumping fees on them to subsidize football programs that, far from enhancing the academic mission instead make a mockery of it."

+

+

The costs are high, the benefits to students are low, argues Buzz Bissinger, and academics pay the price.

+

Harry Gerald "Buzz" Bissinger argues that College Football is an expensive and pointless excess that should be banned.

+

+

• "College Football has no academic purpose. Which is why it needs to be banned."

+

• "If the vast majority of major college football programs made money, the argument to ban football might be a more precarious one. But too many of them don't-to the detriment of academic budgets."

+

• "There is a false concept of the football student-athlete that the NCAA endlessly tries to sell, when any major college player will tell you that the demands of the game, a year-round commitment, makes the student half of the equation secondary and superfluous."

+

• "Call me the Grinch. But I would much prefer students going to college to learn...rather than dumping fees on them to subsidize football programs that, far from enhancing the academic mission instead make a mockery of it."

Hey they accepted the scholarship they didnt have to accept it. They get a free ride to college anyway free meals of good food and such. Screw this guy if there was no college football I would have to turn to rugby.

• Fire 1

If I had a list of the people I want to punch in the face, this guy would be floating up toward the top right now.

If I was going to put that guy on a list, I'd put him on the list of people who I want to leave a flaming bag of dog poop on their doorstep. And I would keep that list between my list of people who I want to spit on and my list of people who I want to stab in the gut with a rusty screwdriver.

Typical east coast bloviating.

If it has no relevance in NY or Connecticut or Massachusetts.................why it must be worthless.

I was going to say "but he wrote Friday Night Lights", but I looked up his bio and he was born in New York City. NEW YORK CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Typical east coast bloviating.

If it has no relevance in NY or Connecticut or Massachusetts.................why it must be worthless.

I was going to say "but he wrote Friday Night Lights", but I looked up his bio and he was born in New York City. NEW YORK CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!

...and went to the great University of Pennsylvania (Ok I realize that it really is a great school, just not for football.) How would he like it if we banned wine tasting and self absorbed protesting?

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

Hey they accepted the scholarship they didnt have to accept it. They get a free ride to college anyway free meals of good food and such. Screw this guy if there was no college football I would have to turn to rugby.

It's not all rugby...but a nice collection anyway. And there's a lot worse things to watch than rugby.

The author has it all wrong. College degrees are becoming increasingly worthless in today's US economy as more and more decent-paying careers get sent overseas. All that remains are low-wage jobs and mounting piles of academic debt. Quality entertainment from college sports, particularly football, is one of the few useful things that US universities still provide their local communities.