NU's Student Recreation Center

A lot of schools across the nation are upgrading their rec centers. Apparently the last construction we've seen came 2-3 months before the fall of the Berlin Wall :wtf Some examples of new rec centers:

University of Iowa: original.jpg

University of Minnesota: CAM12_B-copy_low.jpg(to be completed in 2013)

University of Missouri: 063E-607-AB.jpg

University of Nebraska: file21052.jpg (only one not new)

University of Nebraska at Omaha: original.jpg

University of Texas: defaultTop.jpg

Do you think its time we upgraded our rec center to compete nationally with other schools?

Article on rec center's as a recruitment tool: http://www.collegevi...to-woo-students

While ours my not be pretty on the outside, it's what's inside that matters. Besides the nice pool at Mizzou, those pictures are pretty much meaningless to compare who's got what. How many schools even with the new facilities have access to a full sized indoor football field or better yet have had it since just before the Berlin Wall was knocked down?

http://recserv.uiowa.edu/Apps/Facilities/CRWC.aspx

"It boasts 20,000 square feet of fitness space over three levels" So you could fit the entire new facility in Iowa in the Cook Pavilion three times. You would rather have that?

Since we are on the topic, I haven't heard much of what becomes of the Coliseum when the volleyball team moves out? I'd guess if you did want to renovate, that would be a great place to start.

I'm sure there are things that could be improved with our campus rec, but I for sure don't think it's terrible by any means. If the campus rec center is the one thing that makes part of the decision where a student decides to go, I'd say he is better off some other place then Nebraska anyway. I should know, I spent way too much damned time in that place when I should have been studying. :P

I heard something about the idea of a new campus rec center at UNL last year being proposed, but I think that students voted it down because it would have raised their tuition. Smart on their part if you ask me because probably half of them wouldn't have been around to use it after it opened anyways.

The only thing that I would say could be added for sure are more basketball courts.

There are currently 8 courts inside the rec, but on a regular basis you can only play on 2-3 of them because of a bunch of reasons:

1) one has its space taken by the rock wall and misc stuff

2) one used for volleyball team practice, and usually has a volleyball net up anyway

3) two of them are in the coliseum which is often closed off for various events

4) another one is often not available because, well, the asians have to play badminton somewhere

not to mention that if there happen to be intramural games on a particular night, you'll be lucky to find one court to play ball on.

Build some areas for the extra B.S. (badminton, volleyball, rock climbing, blah blah blah) and that way you can have at least 6 courts full-time devoted ONLY to basketball. I know I was sick and tired of waiting around for an hour in order to be able to play one pick-up game.

Other than that, the facilities aren't that. Cook is pretty awesome - not sure how many other universities have a full football practice facility available for student use. Weight room is pretty good - could be larger though. Often gets crowded and cramped. I'm sure something will get done in the next 5-10 years.

• Fire 1

Weight room needs to grow by about 3 times... for the size of this university, it doesnt match up..

As Schu said, basketball courts need to be added.. or a new place for volleyball/badminton/rock climbing needs to be built.

This should help... everything else is pretty nice.. the outside is boring but who cares as long as the inside is nice.

Weight room needs to grow by about 3 times... for the size of this university, it doesnt match up..

As Schu said, basketball courts need to be added.. or a new place for volleyball/badminton/rock climbing needs to be built.

This should help... everything else is pretty nice.. the outside is boring but who cares as long as the inside is nice.

Funny you mentioned the weight room size. I still remember when I was touring UNL in high school and the guide said the student weight room was the 3rd largest weight room in the Big 12, behind Nebraska football and Texas Football.

I've always liked South Carolina's Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center, despite the ironic name. It's one of two gyms on campus and one of the largest such facilities in the world.

Three stories, a rock climbing wall, five basketball and racquetball courts, indoor and outdoor pools and tracks, sand volleyball, sauna, spa and three outdoor recreation fields in addition to all the usual cardio and weight machines.

stromthurmondwellnesscenter.jpgStrom_Thurmond_Fitness_Welness_675_448_c1.jpg

Strom_Outdoor_Pool_Night_1.jpg

I've always liked South Carolina's Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center, despite the ironic name. It's one of two gyms on campus and one of the largest such facilities in the world.

Three stories, a rock climbing wall, five basketball and racquetball courts, indoor and outdoor pools and tracks, sand volleyball, sauna, spa and three outdoor recreation fields in addition to all the usual cardio and weight machines.

I think if my college had something like this, I may never bother going to class.

Looks impressive, although UNL's has everything that has minus the outdoor pool and flashy design.

And regarding the work of UNL's new rec center. It was approved, and I think they are going to be starting on the outdoor adventure center soon. They have already taken down the meters in the lot north of mabel lee and have blocked it off. It is going to create an absolute nightmare for parking during the school months. They really need to put up a garage with meters or change some of the staff parking that is never used to meters.

I think if my college had something like this, I may never bother going to class.

My brother done his basics at Fort Jackson and we drove down there to pick him up and take a little vacation. One of the days we walked around campus(which is half of downtown) and really enjoyed the looks of everything. There fraternities are all new and look very nice along with a few other new buildings that they built on campus.

they said they were expanding it

The only thing that I would say could be added for sure are more basketball courts.

There are currently 8 courts inside the rec, but on a regular basis you can only play on 2-3 of them because of a bunch of reasons:

1) one has its space taken by the rock wall and misc stuff

2) one used for volleyball team practice, and usually has a volleyball net up anyway

3) two of them are in the coliseum which is often closed off for various events

4) another one is often not available because, well, the asians have to play badminton somewhere

not to mention that if there happen to be intramural games on a particular night, you'll be lucky to find one court to play ball on.

Build some areas for the extra B.S. (badminton, volleyball, rock climbing, blah blah blah) and that way you can have at least 6 courts full-time devoted ONLY to basketball. I know I was sick and tired of waiting around for an hour in order to be able to play one pick-up game.

Other than that, the facilities aren't that. Cook is pretty awesome - not sure how many other universities have a full football practice facility available for student use. Weight room is pretty good - could be larger though. Often gets crowded and cramped. I'm sure something will get done in the next 5-10 years.

Some things never change!