Tom Osborne interviewed by Adam Rittenberg of ESPN

Agree with the need for a selection committee. That makes the best choice in my opinion. Also, I don't get a crap about the Rose Bowl and I'm sick of hearing about preserving the Rose Bowl tradition. Ugh, enough already. And having playoff games at campus sites won't destroy the bowl system. Actually, I hope the bowl systems goes down in flames. The vast majority of the bowl game matchups stink and ratings aren't high for the games anyways.

• Fire 4

Agree with the need for a selection committee. That makes the best choice in my opinion. Also, I don't get a crap about the Rose Bowl and I'm sick of hearing about preserving the Rose Bowl tradition. Ugh, enough already. And having playoff games at campus sites won't destroy the bowl system. Actually, I hope the bowl systems goes down in flames. The vast majority of the bowl game matchups stink and ratings aren't high for the games anyways.

This, this, and all of this.

We all see it one way or the other. I for one hope the Bowl's can be used in this new playoff system. You know, I remember when we sat on pins and needles hopping for the Gotham Bowl bid. Just being chosen for a bowl game was a big deal in Lincoln and through out the state. We didn't think we were going to win a N/C every time a new season started, but just wanted to be one of the players at the end of the season with a bowl bid, and try to win it. Maybe the bowls don't mean much to the newbies on here, but growing up with the Huskers in the 60's, it meant everything to us as kids. The Grand Daddy of them all, was one we knew we would never be able to play in. The Rose Bowl was out of reach for so long for Nebraska, now its there every year. Maybe we were just lucky to grow up when getting a bowl invite meant you earned it. I understand how watered down a invite is today, but I still like waiting to see where the Huskers are going, and knowing at the start of each season, we now have a chance to play in the Rose Bowl.

To want them to crash and burn, or forget the tradition of these bowls,is something I can't understand. If its National Champs or bust for some of you, then I guess it won't be much fun watching the Husker play most years. I want the N/C as much as anyone, but I want to see us in a bowl game at the end of every season, that's a reward for players and fans for a good or great season, and I hope its always the Rose Bowl.

GBR!!!

I'm only 28 yrs old, and even I can remember as a youngin when making a bowl was a great reward. I remember when 7 wins was not enought in many instances. Now, theres real possibilities every year of teams with legitimate losing records making a bowl game. What a crock. It's bad enough .500 teams make one. I agree bowls for the most part should be kept in tact. With only a 4 team, and even with an 8 team playoff, there are still plenty of good teams leftover that need to be rewarded. I also think that conference/bowl affiliations need to be scrapped so that we as fans can the best bowl matchups possible on top of the playoffs.

We all see it one way or the other. I for one hope the Bowl's can be used in this new playoff system. You know, I remember when we sat on pins and needles hopping for the Gotham Bowl bid. Just being chosen for a bowl game was a big deal in Lincoln and through out the state. We didn't think we were going to win a N/C every time a new season started, but just wanted to be one of the players at the end of the season with a bowl bid, and try to win it. Maybe the bowls don't mean much to the newbies on here, but growing up with the Huskers in the 60's, it meant everything to us as kids. The Grand Daddy of them all, was one we knew we would never be able to play in. The Rose Bowl was out of reach for so long for Nebraska, now its there every year. Maybe we were just lucky to grow up when getting a bowl invite meant you earned it. I understand how watered down a invite is today, but I still like waiting to see where the Huskers are going, and knowing at the start of each season, we now have a chance to play in the Rose Bowl.

To want them to crash and burn, or forget the tradition of these bowls,is something I can't understand. If its National Champs or bust for some of you, then I guess it won't be much fun watching the Husker play most years. I want the N/C as much as anyone, but I want to see us in a bowl game at the end of every season, that's a reward for players and fans for a good or great season, and I hope its always the Rose Bowl.

GBR!!!

Using bowl games for playoff games sucks for the fans of the participating schools. How do they expect the majority of fans to travel to two games on back to back weeks. It just makes no sense what so ever and these out of touch AD's, University Presidents and conference commissioners need to get over themselves. On campus sites for the first two games make the most sense. Then bid out the championship game at a neutral location just as the NFL does. There will still be plenty of great teams to fill all the crappy bowl games.

I'm only 28 yrs old, and even I can remember as a youngin when making a bowl was a great reward. I remember when 7 wins was not enought in many instances. Now, theres real possibilities every year of teams with legitimate losing records making a bowl game. What a crock. It's bad enough .500 teams make one. I agree bowls for the most part should be kept in tact. With only a 4 team, and even with an 8 team playoff, there are still plenty of good teams leftover that need to be rewarded. I also think that conference/bowl affiliations need to be scrapped so that we as fans can the best bowl matchups possible on top of the playoffs.

I'm 30 and agree with you. The bowl system is a sham and seems a vast majority are buying in to these old out of touch university presidents and conference commissioners. Get rid of all of them! :)

Wetzel is right. The Rose Bowl love conquers all when it comes to the Big Ten. We've asked it here at HuskerBoard many times - why does the Big Ten love the Rose Bowl so much? It's just another bowl game, no matter how old or how much tradition it has.

You want tradition? Then kick Nebraska and Penn State out of the Big Ten, pick up U of Chicago again, and have at it. That's the Big Ten tradition. But it's not reality, not today. You cannot pine SO MUCH for the way things were that you fail to move forward.

The Big Ten - Jim Delaney - has to get over this. Has to move forward. Delaney has LONG been the most staunch opponent to a playoff. But the days of holding back the tide are over. We are faced with a new reality, one that the Big Ten helped create by allowing expansion with Nebraska. The flood is coming. It's better to get in the boat and grab an oar than to try to build a wall of sand to keep it back.

Wetzel is right. The Rose Bowl love conquers all when it comes to the Big Ten. We've asked it here at HuskerBoard many times - why does the Big Ten love the Rose Bowl so much? It's just another bowl game, no matter how old or how much tradition it has.

You want tradition? Then kick Nebraska and Penn State out of the Big Ten, pick up U of Chicago again, and have at it. That's the Big Ten tradition. But it's not reality, not today. You cannot pine SO MUCH for the way things were that you fail to move forward.

The Big Ten - Jim Delaney - has to get over this. Has to move forward. Delaney has LONG been the most staunch opponent to a playoff. But the days of holding back the tide are over. We are faced with a new reality, one that the Big Ten helped create by allowing expansion with Nebraska. The flood is coming. It's better to get in the boat and grab an oar than to try to build a wall of sand to keep it back.

All great points and couldn't agree with you more. I just don't get the fascination with the Rose Bowl. It's just another bowl game to me and I don't understand all the love for it. Maybe it's because Nebraska hasn't been in the Big Ten for a long time but I would hope to think that I would still feel the same way if Nebraska had to a member of the Big Ten for 50 years. It seems to me that T.O. doesn't feel the same as the rest of the Big Ten about the Rose Bowl but he doesn't want to come out and say that.

Look, I think the 4 team playoff is a good idea. I don't think that playing and away game against Ala, Lsu or ugh Texas is fair. I don't know if playing at a regional site would work either. I do think that it will have to finish at a warm site or a domed site. There are 100+ other teams that would love to get to the Rose, Fiesta, Orange, Sugar and if these sites have to be left out of the playoff rounds, well so be it. I wish there was some way to figure it out with them, but you don't have to trash their tradition because they are no longer a part of the playoffs. Money is changing the face of college football, we have all seen this coming. This may be the answer now, but it was more rewarding and fun back in the day.

GBR!!!

I hope he's right about several things. Please keep the bowl system in place while adding the playoff. Losing the bowl games would suck.

The bowl games will still exist. What the Powers That Be are concerned about is, what happens to the Rose, Fiesta, Sugar and Orange bowls when the top teams are playing in the playoff? Their attendance and TV viewership will drop down to that of the next tier of bowls, and they don't like that.

I'm still baffled by what it is about the situation that makes Jim Delany, the rest of the Big Ten, Tom Osborne and Harvey Perlman so staunchly defend the bowl games? I'm afraid that there's some ulterior thing going on, some back-room deals being made, that makes them so utterly support what is clearly a dying event. I don't suspect Osborne or Perlman of nefarious dealings, but I've learned over the years to never say never. I don't want some shenanigans coming back to haunt UNL. We don't need the bad press of our Great Coach being caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

I think it's also important to keep the bowl system's in place with an added playoff...those bowl experiences are great for the kids, they get to do fun things around the city and get great gifts, it makes them feel special and wanted. Fans constatly going up to talk to you from another state. I remember the cotton bowl a few years ago against auburn. My friends and i went to the Dallas cowboys game vs. Detroit and the Auburn players were there. We were all decked out in our husker gear at the game and had conversations with tons of the auburn players. I bet the players love when fans of other schools and fans from the location of the bowl game just talk to them becuase they are glad they are there.