Quote from callahans press conference

Callahan knows as much about NU tradition as anyone.  Many people push it in his face daily so he has to assimilate some of it.

:dis

Disagree as much as anybody can. By him not understanding the traditions of NU-OU rivalry (throwing oranges, ruffneks), he disgraced himself and embarrassed the program with his actions at OU last year, just one instance.

Does this quote make it sound like he understands, embraces, and RESPECTS the NU traditions,

"I did everything I could to make a change in a program, and a culture and an environment that we're dealing with."

:wtf

I actually agree with Former on this. Plus, you can not read up-on or hear about the NU tradition, you must have lived it. Callahan was not around for Tagge/Rogers years or the Gill, Rozier, and Fryar years. He was not around to feel the heartbreak when we missed a field goal and lost to FSU. He was not around for Cory Schlesinger bulldozing in 2 scores the next year to bring the trophy home. Nor was he there through the Frazier years, or for the devastating death of Brook Berringer. NU fans have lived these moments. No amount of reading up on, or learning can compare. He may respect tradition (arguable), but IMO he will never completely understand it.

I never grew up in the Vietnam Era, the Elvis Pressley era, the Disco era, World War II, the oil embargo. Wht does that mean for me? That i can never understand? :rollin

I never lived through the days of Jesus Christ, does that mean that no matter how hard i try, i just won't get it?

Callahan knows as much about NU tradition as anyone.  Many people push it in his face daily so he has to assimilate some of it.

Disagree as much as anybody can. By him not understanding the traditions of NU-OU rivalry (throwing oranges, ruffneks), he disgraced himself and embarrassed the program with his actions at OU last year, just one instance.

Does this quote make it sound like he understands, embraces, and RESPECTS the NU traditions,

"I did everything I could to make a change in a program, and a culture and an environment that we're dealing with."

I actually agree with Former on this. Plus, you can not read up-on or hear about the NU tradition, you must have lived it. Callahan was not around for Tagge/Rogers years or the Gill, Rozier, and Fryar years. He was not around to feel the heartbreak when we missed a field goal and lost to FSU. He was not around for Cory Schlesinger bulldozing in 2 scores the next year to bring the trophy home. Nor was he there through the Frazier years, or for the devastating death of Brook Berringer. NU fans have lived these moments. No amount of reading up on, or learning can compare. He may respect tradition (arguable), but IMO he will never completely understand it.

I never grew up in the Vietnam Era, the Elvis Pressley era, the Disco era, World War II, the oil embargo. Wht does that mean for me? That i can never understand? :rollin

I never lived through the days of Jesus Christ, does that mean that no matter how hard i try, i just won't get it?

Sure you can understand it, but do you know the feeling of what it was like to be shot at in Vietnam by reading it in a book? Have you seen Elvis in concert or can you get the same feeling from listening to his records? Is reading about the scene at Studio 54 the same as, talking into Andy Warhols gold phone in the basement of the night club? Can you read the bible and know what it would be like to actually sit before Christ? You can understand and believe, but it is not the same as being there.

NU fan will come and go, some will take it more seriously than others, and some will say it is just football, but in the end they are all NU fans. How serious they decide to take is up to them, not for me to question...it is their right.

Sure you can understand it, but do you know the feeling of what it was like to be shot at in Vietnam by reading it in a book? Have you seen Elvis in concert or can you get the same feeling from listening to his records? Is reading about the scene at Studio 54 the same as, talking into Andy Warhols gold phone in the basement of the night club? Can you read the bible and know what it would be like to actually sit before Christ? You can understand and believe, but it is not the same as being there.

NU fan will come and go, some will take it more seriously than others, and some will say it is just football, but in the end they are all NU fans. How serious they decide to take is up to them, not for me to question...it is their right.

Freaking awesome post!! WOW, couldnt have said it any better :thumbs

As for what Nameless can understand or not, he has been subscribing to puds definition of "progress," (ie 10-3 bad, 5-6 good :dumdum ) so that should explain why he is having a difficult time understanding this.

I can read a book about brain surgery, but I certainly have no idea what its like to be a surgeon.

From the Vietnam Vets I know, they'll pretty much tell you that not only will you not ever understand it entirely you also will never be able to ever read what Vietnam was all about. Of course, I'm not going even begin to compare it to NU football because well the comparison is assanine. They said no movie or event can ever depict the things that really went on.

Again, no comparison to NU football tradition at all. But, you are the one that brought it up. In the grand scheme of life, you can never compare something that's supposed to be as happy and heartwarming to something as ugly and tragic as Vietnam. Vietnam was serious where tons of lives were lost. NU football is just a game. After each Saturday, we put our red away and go to work again on Monday. For a lot of guys, they'll never be the same who were in Nam!!!!!!!!1

I had to stop reading this post cause it got a little out of hand but I do think the quotes that former fan brought up are disturbing.

The one about the players (yes it does sound like he's placing some blame) also implies Kansas has more talent than us. I don't buy that.

ALso, about changing culture, enviroment, all of that. I'm not sure I like the change he's making.

I really hope there is a light at the end of this tunnel. The recruiting classes seem to imply there is hope but Callahan should be under fire. It has been 2 years of embarrasssing firsts, and the nds of great streaks. Getting 40 hung on you by Kansas is not OK.

As for what Nameless can understand or not, he has been subscribing to puds definition of "progress," (ie 10-3 bad, 5-6 good :dumdum ) so that should explain why he is having a difficult time understanding this.

I can read a book about brain surgery, but I certainly have no idea what its like to be a surgeon.

You're all class Formerfan. Please stop it, i can't take it anymore. Your killing me with your kindness and gentle ways <_<

You're all class Formerfan. Please stop it, i can't take it anymore. Your killing me with your kindness and gentle ways <_<

no post really. i just wanted to see how many quotes i could get in one post.

it's all good!

For a lot of guys, they'll never be the same who were in Nam!!!!!!!!

I just wanted to snip that part of your post, Junior.

Having a really good friend of mine who was a Navy SEAL during Viet Nam, I find a lot of what each of you posted about the conflict meaningful.

Being a Desert Storm vet, I am still serving with the Navy.

I don't mean to get off on a tangent, but those that have posted about war and Husker football, and the comparison between the two, have hit the nail on the head.

I used to wake up from nightmares sweating, months after Desert Storm. War just does that to you.

Never have I been awoken by a Husker loss, although I may have lost some sleep.

Husker Football will right itself, in time, and carry on it's storied tradition of excellence on the field.

Edit: I wrote this kinda late last night and the old brain was doing flashbacks. I am not looking for sympathy in any way, shape or form. I would also like to add that I have not served in the recent conflict in Iraq, but have the deepest respect for those that have or are curently.

For those families that have lost loved ones, you have my heart-felt condolences.