Supplements

How many HBers use supplements when they workout? I have used them for years and think they do help when it comes to recovery and growth of muscles. My wife and I got into an arguement about them and she said they are a waste of money and that I can accomplish the same things without them. What do you guys think? I think she doesn't know sh!t and just wants something to argue about.

Creatine - Helps your muscles retain more fluid, therefore making them appear larger and more swollen, also helping with blood flow which makes you able to lift a little more weight. Long-term does damage to your kidneys because it causes your body to produce more creatinine, which is toxic for your body. I believe they make a version that limits the production of creatinine.

This is completely incorrect.

http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/

Specifically about kidneys: http://examine.com/faq/does-creatine-cause-kidney-problems.html

How many HBers use supplements when they workout? I have used them for years and think they do help when it comes to recovery and growth of muscles. My wife and I got into an arguement about them and she said they are a waste of money and that I can accomplish the same things without them. What do you guys think? I think she doesn't know sh!t and just wants something to argue about.

Creatine - Helps your muscles retain more fluid, therefore making them appear larger and more swollen, also helping with blood flow which makes you able to lift a little more weight. Long-term does damage to your kidneys because it causes your body to produce more creatinine, which is toxic for your body. I believe they make a version that limits the production of creatinine.

Specifically about kidneys: http://examine.com/faq/does-creatine-cause-kidney-problems.html

Thank you

It really depends on the supplement.

Protein - You can achieve the same things by just eating more protein.

Vitamins - Waste of money IMO.

Mass Gainer - Probably most useful for building muscle. It makes it much easier to consume lots of protein and carbs without becoming bloated and consuming too much fat

T-Booster - More testosterone = faster muscle gains

Pro Hormone - Big-time testosterone boost and crazy muscle gains. I've used one before, and it's ridiculous. Just make sure to take an estrogen blocker and post-cycle or you might grow some titties.

So mainly, the most useful supplements that you can get are the ones that boost your T levels. At the same time, these are the ones you have to be most careful with so they don't have adverse effects on your body. The biggest part of fitness is nutrition. I'd say nutrition is more important to your fitness goals than your workouts are.

I don't think it's very easy to eat the amount of protein needed depending on what you're trying to do. You ever tried to eat 200 grams of protein per day for several weeks? Not only does it cost an arm and a leg, good luck getting all that to go down. As an example, your average chicken breast has 30 grams of protein in it. That's 6 1/2 chicken breasts in a day just as an example. Now obviously you're not going to eat those for breakfast, but you get the point. At 205 I'll spend a small fortune to keep up on my protein needs if I try to do that through diet alone without supplementation. Obviously one of the biggest numbers to know is your fat free mass and that'll give you a better idea of your protein intake needs, but most people simply don't know that and base their intake off of their body weight.

Anytime you have to take other supplements to off-set side effects from things you're taking, my advice would be to stay the hell away from it. If you're 18 years old and reading the above post on t-boosters, ignore it, you need to get your diet squared away and worry about protein intake first, simple as that. Don't even think about pro-hormones or t-boosters until you're after 30 if at all.

Vitamins aren't a waste of money, the wrong company that makes those vitamins is, ask any serious athlete what they think of vitamins and supplementation.

The creatine comment is just not true.

Before you go putting this stuff out there like it's gospel you gotta do some research into these things. The above thoughts are just my opinion obviously.

Recently started taking Arnold's Iron Pack and Iron Mass. Iron pack is a lot of pills (which sucks, I hate pills), but it seems like a good product and I already feel some benefits like more energy. Iron mass had kind of a weird taste at first but I've gotten used to it and now really like it. There's a lot of fat in it but its healthy fats so its all good.

Also taking creatine, and got Arnolds Iron Dream for free from my local supplement shop. Haven't tried it yet cause I keep forgetting i have it.

I guess overall I'm mainly using the Arnold Series from muscle pharm. Heres a link if anyone wants to check them out: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/arnold-schwarzenegger-series.html

Mass Gainer - Probably most useful for building muscle. It makes it much easier to consume lots of protein and carbs without becoming bloated and consuming too much fat

Pro Hormone - Big-time testosterone boost and crazy muscle gains. I've used one before, and it's ridiculous. Just make sure to take an estrogen blocker and post-cycle or you might grow some titties.

So mainly, the most useful supplements that you can get are the ones that boost your T levels. At the same time, these are the ones you have to be most careful with so they don't have adverse effects on your body. The biggest part of fitness is nutrition. I'd say nutrition is more important to your fitness goals than your workouts are.

I don't think it's very easy to eat the amount of protein needed depending on what you're trying to do. You ever tried to eat 200 grams of protein per day for several weeks? Not only does it cost an arm and a leg, good luck getting all that to go down. As an example, your average chicken breast has 30 grams of protein in it. That's 6 1/2 chicken breasts in a day just as an example. Now obviously you're not going to eat those for breakfast, but you get the point. At 205 I'll spend a small fortune to keep up on my protein needs if I try to do that through diet alone without supplementation. Obviously one of the biggest numbers to know is your fat free mass and that'll give you a better idea of your protein intake needs, but most people simply don't know that and base their intake off of their body weight.

Anytime you have to take other supplements to off-set side effects from things you're taking, my advice would be to stay the hell away from it. If you're 18 years old and reading the above post on t-boosters, ignore it, you need to get your diet squared away and worry about protein intake first, simple as that. Don't even think about pro-hormones or t-boosters until you're after 30 if at all.

Vitamins aren't a waste of money, the wrong company that makes those vitamins is, ask any serious athlete what they think of vitamins and supplementation.

Before you go putting this stuff out there like it's gospel you gotta do some research into these things. The above thoughts are just my opinion obviously.

There's nothing wrong with t boosters if used correctly.

I easily consume 200-300 grams of protein a day. I tend to spread it out over the whole day and then it doesn't seem to bad. I will eat 5-6 eggs and egg whites in the morning (50gr). Mid morning I will have a protein bar and a shake (50gr). For lunch, I will have a couple chicken breasts or fish (50gr). I will usually have a post-workout shake (50gr) and for supper, it will be more chicken, fish or beef (50gr).

There are days when I don't get that much because of being busy but I tend to do a good job of getting my daily amount.

I consume good fats as much as I do proteins as they are probably the second most important macro for you behind protein. I get mine from fish, peanuts, fish oil, olive oil and such.

Every year I have to have blood work done because of my job and last year my creatinine levels were threw the roof and it cause a big concern with my doctor. I told him that I take creatine for lifting and he did tell me that if my levels stay elevated like that, it will cause damage. I know that there are lots of articles and research done on it but it still will raise a doctor's eyebrow when you have elevated levels. I have always cycled my use of creatine because of the "risks" as that is what I was first told to do and it just became habit.

I easily consume 200-300 grams of protein a day. I tend to spread it out over the whole day and then it doesn't seem to bad. I will eat 5-6 eggs and egg whites in the morning (50gr). Mid morning I will have a protein bar and a shake (50gr). For lunch, I will have a couple chicken breasts or fish (50gr). I will usually have a post-workout shake (50gr) and for supper, it will be more chicken, fish or beef (50gr).

There are days when I don't get that much because of being busy but I tend to do a good job of getting my daily amount.

I consume good fats as much as I do proteins as they are probably the second most important macro for you behind protein. I get mine from fish, peanuts, fish oil, olive oil and such.

Congrats on being a freak! :lol: I can't eat that much, I've tried, I once was able to get up to 225 with diet and adding in some mass gainers, that was at 24 though, 10 years ago. I still take in my morning snack and afternoon snack, but my schedule is so screwed up at work it's hard to nail one particular meal plan down. The last diet plan I was on for mass gaining, 6 months ago, had two breakfasts, that's when you know this is gonna hurt. It was Jim Stoppani's Shortcut to Size diet plan. I'll just stick with the workout and supplements and clean my diet up instead of trying to eat that amount.

What I was supposed to intake daily on training days: 4040 calories, 354 grams of protein, 354 grams of carbs, 135 grams of fat. On non-training days: 3636 calories, 318 grams of protein, 318 grams of carbs, 121 grams of fat. I did this for a few weeks, got up to 209 and felt like I was going to explode. I was literally walking around with something in my hand at work, eating non-stop. I simply don't see how it's probable to take in 354 grams of protein through your diet plan alone without supplementation. I guess it's not impossible, but I don't think it's sustainable for a long amount of time.

I know a few guys that can get done what Stumpy is doing. I find it amazing. At the end of the day you can get it done ... if you want too. Like most things, you got to commit to it and sense it's importance and have the time and discipline to pull it off.

I've found that for me it just isn't practical for me to do this. I can/will do this for periods of time when I'm in training for something but the discipline is too difficult to carry out with my life because it just isn't practical.

I understand that, but I'm simply saying it's pretty hard to intake that amount of protein without supplementation on some level. He admits to eating protein bars and consuming a protein shake. Those are items that are considered supplementation in my eyes. I have no problems with protein supplementation, I think it's necessary to meet your daily protein goals depending on what you're trying to achieve. To simply say "just eat more protein" isn't as easy as it sounds because of the amount of food you have to intake on a daily basis, in my opinion. At least in my situation where I'm constantly trying to increase muscle mass to simply intake 300+ grams of protein according to a bulking diet is pretty difficult. I would agree that you need to get more protein from your food intake than you do through your supplementation or you probably need to look at your diet.

If you guys are curious about protein and some studies surrounding it, look up some of Dr. Layne Norton's stuff on Muscle Protein Synthesis (MPS). In short, it seems the overall amount of protein isn't as important as how often you can stimulate MPS with a minimum amount of protein.

It's not like eating that much is "bad" and doesn't work, but it seems that it's not very optimal.

If you guys are curious about protein and some studies surrounding it, look up some of Dr. Layne Norton's stuff on Muscle Protein Synthesis (MPS). In short, it seems the overall amount of protein isn't as important as how often you can stimulate MPS with a minimum amount of protein.

It's not like eating that much is "bad" and doesn't work, but it seems that it's not very optimal.

It is pretty amazing how timing can play a HUGE factor when taking supplements. I try and take mine the same time for pre and post workout and during the rest of the day when I can. Even eating at certain times before and after is a big deal.

Layne is usually my go to source, but he just had so much damn information sometimes it's an overload.

Layne is usually my go to source, but he just had so much damn information sometimes it's an overload.

Is there a Cliff Notes 3-5 page summary somewhere? :dunno