Supplements

8 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

I have a pre-WO mix I make up myself that is pretty similar:

- 5 g creatine monohydrate

- 2-3 g beta alanine (depending on my tingle tolerance that day :lol:)

-  5 g citrulline malate

- 10 g BCAAs

- 1 caffeine tab (200-250 mg)

Incredibly inexpensive compared to pre-mixed pre-WOs and definitely gets the job done.

I will have to try this.  Pre workouts are crazy expensive unless you can find a sale going on.  Where do you buy these individually? 

2 hours ago, dankebe said:

I will have to try this.  Pre workouts are crazy expensive unless you can find a sale going on.  Where do you buy these individually?  

IIRC I put in an order to BB.com for most of that stuff.

Caffeine you can get dirt cheap anywhere. I went with a 3-pack of Prolab brand for ~$12 on Amazon which will last forever.

The beta-alanine and citrulline malate I believe I got on BB.com during a sale. I linked the brands I went with, but if you can find something of comparable quality for a bargain, go for it.

Pretty sure I got some Optimum Creatine Monohydrate from there too, but it's also dirt cheap and one of the best bang-for-your-buck supps out there for improving your strength. Just find a good deal on creatine mono - nothing I've found has convinced me any of the fancy other formulations of creatine are any more effective or worth the extra $$$ versus the standard stuff. 3-5 g a day - don't worry about the loading crap, that's just an industry gimmick to get you to consume more. Any more than 5 g daily you just pee out anyway. And some research I found once suggested once you've been taking it awhile you don't even need 5g per day to maintain saturation.

BCAAs I've just accrued elsewhere via sales as time  has gone on. Whatever is cheap and good quality. Hit me up if you have any questions about specific brands. I'd get a flavored variety though - unflavored BCAAs are known to be pretty nasty.

Looking back I potentially spent a bit more than I remember on all this stuff, but when pre-WOs go for anywhere from $30-60 anymore for ~30 servings, I still think it's cheaper. The limiting factor for me is the CM as I only bought 1000 g but at 5g/workout that's 200 servings.

• Plus1 1
  • 1 year later...
On 2/11/2019 at 11:46 PM, Stumpy1 said:

I got my Citrulline Malate from Transparent Labs.  It was $36.00 for 100 servings.

I use SciVation's  Xtend BCAAs.  They are by far the best I have tried and are a little pricey.  A 30 serving container runs around $25.00.

Unless you don’t eat enough protein you are wasting your time with BCAAs. 

• Plus1 1

A bit of a warning to anyone taking preworkout: 

this stuff gets pulled from the shelf for illegal ingredients all the time. You don’t exactly know what you’re getting as they aren’t well regulated. Some of the basic starter ones are better tested such as c4 but that only works for so long. 

I would recommend to just not take them (unless you work manual labor) and if you need a pump product or something to go ahead and take that. I’ve tried all the top stim junkie preworkouts. 100% never try anything with DMAA or DMHA unless you want to ruin your blood pressure. I started taking a product with DMHA and in three weeks my blood pressure went from exceptional to 149/101 in my early 20s. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/14/2020 at 10:57 AM, Decked said:

A bit of a warning to anyone taking preworkout: 

this stuff gets pulled from the shelf for illegal ingredients all the time. You don’t exactly know what you’re getting as they aren’t well regulated. Some of the basic starter ones are better tested such as c4 but that only works for so long. 

I would recommend to just not take them (unless you work manual labor) and if you need a pump product or something to go ahead and take that. I’ve tried all the top stim junkie preworkouts. 100% never try anything with DMAA or DMHA unless you want to ruin your blood pressure. I started taking a product with DMHA and in three weeks my blood pressure went from exceptional to 149/101 in my early 20s. 

In high school/college the pre-WO to take used to be the original formulation of this stuff called Jack3d which definitely had DMAA. They've since reformulated it and I don't think I've had anything with it since. It's very hard to find now.

I make my own pre-WO anymore with five ingredients based on a post I found elsewhere online that made sense. BCAAs, creatine, beta-alanine, citrulline malate and caffeine are all I need.

Edit: Oh crap I already posted this above. :lol:

• Haha 1
22 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

In high school/college the pre-WO to take used to be the original formulation of this stuff called Jack3d which definitely had DMAA. They've since reformulated it and I don't think I've had anything with it since. It's very hard to find now.

I make my own pre-WO anymore with five ingredients based on a post I found elsewhere online that made sense. BCAAs, creatine, beta-alanine, citrulline malate and caffeine are all I need.

Edit: Oh crap I already posted this above. :lol:

That stuff made people fail drug tests! 

2 hours ago, Decked said:

That stuff made people fail drug tests! 

Perfect for a junior in high school, right? :lol:

I'm pretty sure DMAA itself is used in some places as a party drug due to the euphoric feeling it gives some folks. I didn't know any better at the time so I took it anyway. That stuff led to some awesome workouts!

• 2 months later...

Bump.

I'd been being too lazy about what I was eating for too long and not working out enough especially when s#!t hit the fan with COVID. Once I realized I was getting into uber-Dadbod territory despite not yet being a Dad I figured I'd start getting after it again.

Not really any special diet tricks, per se. No Keto diet or Paleo diet for me. My girlfriend is I guess a pescatarian because the only animal meat she eats is fish. I do that as well now and generally eat plant-based meat alternatives although I occasionally gouge on a burger or a steak.

Just good old fashioned caloric restriction, mostly, so far. Busted out my food scale and started weighing foods again to track.

I did post here because while I mostly loathe weight-loss supps as snake oil, I did splurge and get some Hydroxycut Hardcore Elite on Amazon because it was pretty cheap. So far I like it quite a bit. I've been using it with some yohimbine and green tea extract I had laying around from a previous cut.

The combo is definitely thermogenic. I sweat a ton during my morning workout and remain warm for a while afterward.

Also, shameless plug for MyProtein. They've always got sales and received good marks in an independent analysis done by Labdoor so you actually get what's on the label. Bought a couple more bags of whey from them recently.

Anyway, long story short: Yohombine + EGCG good for mobilizing fat when taken correctly. Hydroxycut seems to work well so far. MyProtein good for affordable protein and transparency in labeling.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Bump.

I'd been being too lazy about what I was eating for too long and not working out enough especially when s#!t hit the fan with COVID. Once I realized I was getting into uber-Dadbod territory despite not yet being a Dad I figured I'd start getting after it again.

Not really any special diet tricks, per se. No Keto diet or Paleo diet for me. My girlfriend is I guess a pescatarian because the only animal meat she eats is fish. I do that as well now and generally eat plant-based meat alternatives although I occasionally gouge on a burger or a steak.

Just good old fashioned caloric restriction, mostly, so far. Busted out my food scale and started weighing foods again to track.

I did post here because while I mostly loathe weight-loss supps as snake oil, I did splurge and get some Hydroxycut Hardcore Elite on Amazon because it was pretty cheap. So far I like it quite a bit. I've been using it with some yohimbine and green tea extract I had laying around from a previous cut.

The combo is definitely thermogenic. I sweat a ton during my morning workout and remain warm for a while afterward.

Also, shameless plug for MyProtein. They've always got sales and received good marks in an independent analysis done by Labdoor so you actually get what's on the label. Bought a couple more bags of whey from them recently.

Anyway, long story short: Yohombine + EGCG good for mobilizing fat when taken correctly. Hydroxycut seems to work well so far. MyProtein good for affordable protein and transparency in labeling.

Be a real man and take tren already come on! :lol:

• Haha 1

Not a huge fan of going big on supplements unless you're a serious athlete or you just need to get over the hump to avoid going full Segal like above.  Otherwise, what's the goal?  A competition coming up?  Maybe then I can see it.  I did the whole creatine and protein powder thing in the 90's and yes it did work for me, but eventually you're going to stop.  So I asked myself (I'm in my mid 40s)--why start supplements that you won't sustain long-term?  Eating right, HIIT focused workouts, SLEEP and moderate protein powder shakes seems to be working ok for me, but the gains are pretty gradual and not immediate (like creatine was in my 20s).  Getting old, I guess.  All that being said, I am experimenting a little with ashwagandha .  It's nothing drastic, but it seemed to dial the clock back as far as how I feel.  Note:  I'm not recommending it for anyone, just stating it works OK for me.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

Not a huge fan of going big on supplements unless you're a serious athlete or you just need to get over the hump to avoid going full Segal like above.  Otherwise, what's the goal?  A competition coming up?  Maybe then I can see it.  I did the whole creatine and protein powder thing in the 90's and yes it did work for me, but eventually you're going to stop.  So I asked myself (I'm in my mid 40s)--why start supplements that you won't sustain long-term?  Eating right, HIIT focused workouts, SLEEP and moderate protein powder shakes seems to be working ok for me, but the gains are pretty gradual and not immediate (like creatine was in my 20s).  Getting old, I guess.  All that being said, I am experimenting a little with ashwagandha .  It's nothing drastic, but it seemed to dial the clock back as far as how I feel.  Note:  I'm not recommending it for anyone, just stating it works OK for me.  

Ashwagandha is in a Test booster I tried from Jym products. Gave me the worst headaches I've ever had in my life so I stopped taking it. Like I'm talking 24 hours solid of a serious headache where I had to sit in a dark room and just let my body process it. Some folks are sensitive to that stuff and I guess I'm one of them. I'd love to try a test booster that's actually a decent one, but have yet to find one yet that'll work decent.