Supplements

12 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Ashwagandha is in a Test booster I tried from Jym products. Gave me the worst headaches I've ever had in my life so I stopped taking it. Like I'm talking 24 hours solid of a serious headache where I had to sit in a dark room and just let my body process it. Some folks are sensitive to that stuff and I guess I'm one of them. I'd love to try a test booster that's actually a decent one, but have yet to find one yet that'll work decent. 

That sounds miserable.   Maybe there was too much in the supplement that it induced a migraine?   Or maybe, like you said, your body just doesn’t like it.   I try to start low and go slow with any herbal, but still side effects happen sometimes.   I took Chinese ginseng for about a month last year and ended up getting palpitations that lasted two months after I stopped.  Never going to touch that stuff again.  

2 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

Not a huge fan of going big on supplements unless you're a serious athlete or you just need to get over the hump to avoid going full Segal like above.  Otherwise, what's the goal?  A competition coming up?  Maybe then I can see it.  I did the whole creatine and protein powder thing in the 90's and yes it did work for me, but eventually you're going to stop.  So I asked myself (I'm in my mid 40s)--why start supplements that you won't sustain long-term?  Eating right, HIIT focused workouts, SLEEP and moderate protein powder shakes seems to be working ok for me, but the gains are pretty gradual and not immediate (like creatine was in my 20s).  Getting old, I guess.  All that being said, I am experimenting a little with ashwagandha .  It's nothing drastic, but it seemed to dial the clock back as far as how I feel.  Note:  I'm not recommending it for anyone, just stating it works OK for me.  

Absolutely 100% this. I should say the only reason I decided to get the Hydroxycut Hardcore Elite was because I knew I had everything else dialed in diet/activity wise, I had some extra money laying around and wanted to see if they helped at all because I had a lot of work to do to get back to my ideal weight.

I can definitely say I've got the pep to get my workouts done - it's got a lot of caffeine in a serving. I also sweat a ton so it's heating me up. 

But honestly, the yohimbine I already had is probably the ingredient next to caffeine in the whole mixture that has the best evidence for helping specifically with fat loss. It's pretty cheap AFAIK and taken separately I can vouch for it's effectiveness in aiding fat loss. But it's got to be taken in a fasted state, as an insulin response will block the receptors required for it take effect.

And for god's sake, if you get it, go with the Yohimbine HCL formulation. I bought the herbal stuff supplying yohimbine from yohimbe bark and I frequently get the associated sides - namely, chills, wooziness and just a general sense of malaise.

All that said, your advice is dead on. I'd never rely on this stuff. Supps are an utter waste if you don't take care of diet and exercise first and foremost.

1 hour ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Ashwagandha is in a Test booster I tried from Jym products. Gave me the worst headaches I've ever had in my life so I stopped taking it. Like I'm talking 24 hours solid of a serious headache where I had to sit in a dark room and just let my body process it. Some folks are sensitive to that stuff and I guess I'm one of them. I'd love to try a test booster that's actually a decent one, but have yet to find one yet that'll work decent. 

The first mistake you made was taking anything from Jym

On 7/24/2020 at 9:32 PM, Decked said:

The first mistake you made was taking anything from Jym

Meh, I've been lifting for 20+ years and I've taken all kinds of different products out there. I remember taking the first powered creatine where you had to load up with it........terrible taste! His stuff is on par with pretty much everything else, but I personally like his protein powder more than any other one I've ever tried. I've achieved decent results from that and his protein tastes pretty amazing IMO.

Everything that's out there seems watered down and mediocre at best. I haven't tried a pre-workout in probably 8 years or so that works for me. The last one that did was called Animal Rage and that made me lift crazy amounts in the gym, but it's no longer on the market for a reason. 

8 hours ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Meh, I've been lifting for 20+ years and I've taken all kinds of different products out there. I remember taking the first powered creatine where you had to load up with it........terrible taste! His stuff is on par with pretty much everything else, but I personally like his protein powder more than any other one I've ever tried. I've achieved decent results from that and his protein tastes pretty amazing IMO.

Everything that's out there seems watered down and mediocre at best. I haven't tried a pre-workout in probably 8 years or so that works for me. The last one that did was called Animal Rage and that made me lift crazy amounts in the gym, but it's no longer on the market for a reason. 

Preworkouts often contain banned ingredients & are pulled like wildfire. You’d be surprised how often it happens. Watch out what you take for your job as it can make people fail drug tests. Do your research! 

8 hours ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Jym has the best protein and personally I like the Pre-workout as well.

4 minutes ago, Decked said:

Preworkouts often contain banned ingredients & are pulled like wildfire. You’d be surprised how often it happens. Watch out what you take for your job as it can make people fail drug tests. Do your research! 

Jack3D was the best stuff ever!

Just now, Decked said:

Military members failed drug tests from that stuff as I recall 

Oh yea.  The company got into a huge lawsuit over it having DMAA in it.  I got a nice chunk of money back from it actually.  Sure it greatly increased your chances of a heart attack but damn did that stuff work:lol:

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, RedSavage said:

Oh yea.  The company got into a huge lawsuit over it having DMAA in it.  I got a nice chunk of money back from it actually.  Sure it greatly increased your chances of a heart attack but damn did that stuff work:lol:

You can still find both DMAA and DMHA products out there. Not near as good though. Also: they are back in production! New formula.

15 hours ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

I'm not randomly drug tested at work surprisingly. But I do watch what I take and I've never liked taken one supplement and then needed to take support supps to counteract any negative side effects. So in that respect I take care of myself. 

So what you’re saying is that you are gonna turn into Ronnie Coleman then? Or officer Clegane  :lol:

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2020 at 3:18 PM, RedSavage said:

Jym has the best protein and personally I like the Pre-workout as well.

Jack3D was the best stuff ever!

Super late to this but I remember these things called Yellow Jackets that were outrageous...this was probably about 10 years ago.  The earliest supplements I remember taking was a Thermbuterol w/ ephedra product back in the early 2000s.  I haven't sweat that much since wrestling weight cutting sessions!

28 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Super late to this but I remember these things called Yellow Jackets that were outrageous...this was probably about 10 years ago.  The earliest supplements I remember taking was a Thermbuterol w/ ephedra product back in the early 2000s.  I haven't sweat that much since wrestling weight cutting sessions!

I still have some of the pre-banned Ultimate Orange Preworkout/protein powder with 75mg of DMHA & 25 mg of ephedra. Took a scoop the other day with some black coffee as I usually do once every few months for a little fun. Good lord. 

1 hour ago, Decked said:

I still have some of the pre-banned Ultimate Orange Preworkout/protein powder with 75mg of DMHA & 25 mg of ephedra. Took a scoop the other day with some black coffee as I usually do once every few months for a little fun. Good lord. 

Oh mama!

Caffeine Coffee Monday GIF by Reactions | Gfycat

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Oh mama!

Caffeine Coffee Monday GIF by Reactions | Gfycat

Haha that’s what I would’ve felt like taking that with more pre. Luckily this stuff only has 100mg of caffeine so about 220-250mg total with some black coffee. No jitters from this stuff just laser focus & ridiculous energy that seems to build every set! The kind of energy where you could’ve done your 1 1/2-2 hour workout about twice. 

• Plus1 1