Supplements

Can you link to the page that you got that from? There must be a discrepancy here and I'll contact the author.

But yea, assuming you have healthy kidneys and are otherwise normal, you'd have no ill effects more creatine.

edit: here is where I got the numbers I quoted: http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/#howtotake

Edited by DaveH
including link

Ah, I gotcha. I'd stick with the examine.com recommendations. Those articles are pretty good for explaining the mechanisms behind creatine but I would stick to examine for dosage.

Do you eat a lot of meat? I ask because if you do, you probably need to supplement with less creatine as you get it from animal meat and, maybe dairy.I would need to check on it.

If you didn't eat a lot of meat, it would be more important as you wouldn't be getting much from your diet.

Here is my biggest question on protein supplements.

My son is a Freshman and just now starting to lift. He will be ramped up to lift harder this year going into his sophomore year. We went to GNC (as recommended by HS trainer.) and purchased what seemed like the top of the line protein powder they had.

Here's the problem. He can't stand it. He literally gags every time he tries it.

So....what are your suggestions on how to consume this stuff?

Dissolve it in a liquid? But seriously I used to mix with milk until I realized I was taking in too much fat with the milk. Switching to water took a short amount of time to get used to. Maybe your son can go the same route. I use GNC gold standard and the only problem I have with it is that it makes me gassy. The GNC guy recommended trying a different one since the gassy effect varies from person to person. I didn't switch since it wasn't that big of a deal, just an extra bathroom break in the afternoon to degas. If the problem is more than gagging and it doesn't agree with his digestive system then I'd switch brands. Most of the protein powders are similar so switching brands probably wouldn't help with the gagging. Maybe a different flavor?

My son is a Freshman and just now starting to lift. He will be ramped up to lift harder this year going into his sophomore year. We went to GNC (as recommended by HS trainer.) and purchased what seemed like the top of the line protein powder they had.

Here's the problem. He can't stand it. He literally gags every time he tries it.

Dissolve it in a liquid? But seriously I used to mix with milk until I realized I was taking in too much fat with the milk. Switching to water took a short amount of time to get used to. Maybe your son can go the same route. I use GNC gold standard and the only problem I have with it is that it makes me gassy. The GNC guy recommended trying a different one since the gassy effect varies from person to person. I didn't switch since it wasn't that big of a deal, just an extra bathroom break in the afternoon to degas. If the problem is more than gagging and it doesn't agree with his digestive system then I'd switch brands. Most of the protein powders are similar so switching brands probably wouldn't help with the gagging. Maybe a different flavor?

I've only had one powder that tasted like absolute crap, and I just used it sparingly with milk until it was gone. I just bought another brand to use after every workout and took the crappy stuff for breakfast on occasion. If you go back ask them for samples, that way you don't have to pay an arm and a leg to find out you don't like the stuff.

I don't know what people's opinions on GNC are here, but from around the web most people aren't to fond of them. I've looked at some of their house powders and you can get just as good if not better profiles for much cheaper online (including shipping). I got a deal on Scivation chocolate whey, and that stuff is really good. It's very sweet when mixed with water and blends really well. Cost me about 50 bucks with shipping for a 5 pound tub, it retails at about 80-90.

I don't know what people's opinions on GNC are here, but from around the web most people aren't to fond of them. I've looked at some of their house powders and you can get just as good if not better profiles for much cheaper online (including shipping). I got a deal on Scivation chocolate whey, and that stuff is really good. It's very sweet when mixed with water and blends really well. Cost me about 50 bucks with shipping for a 5 pound tub, it retails at about 80-90.

This. Buy your stuff online. I don't see a reason to go into a GNC or similar store these days.

Bodybuilding.com has a great online store, good deals and generally beat most in prices. Just don't get Animal Torrent Green Apple flavored protein. The gas that creates should be bottled and used to fight terrorists with! Good lord.....I take Jym's S'mores protein and it's ridiculous. Even had small marshmallows in it, but the protein blend is where it's at.

• Fire 1

First, I would take it back to GNC and get a refund. They have a 30-day guarantee. Explain that he can't stomach it, they have to take it back, per company policy. I've taken back half empty tubs of pre-workout that was causing me problems sleeping.

Personally, I really like Dymatize Elite 100% Whey in Chocolate Fudge. It is the best tasting protein I have ever had and has great reviews for protein quality/content. It mixes "thin" and mixes very well. I take it straight with water immediately after workouts with no problems. It tastes very good. If comparing different proteins, Bodybuilding.com has a pretty good rating system for taste.

Dymatize is a great protein. GNC is garbage IMO I'm one of those crazy Bastards that enjoys beef isolate in fruit punch flavor though

Dymatize is a great protein. GNC is garbage IMO I'm one of those crazy Bastards that enjoys beef isolate in fruit punch flavor though

Dude that sounds gross.

Carnivore is the name of it. I have a liquid steak after every workout

A liquid fruit punch steak shake at that!

Gives me shivers! :)

How many HBers use supplements when they workout? I have used them for years and think they do help when it comes to recovery and growth of muscles. My wife and I got into an arguement about them and she said they are a waste of money and that I can accomplish the same things without them. What do you guys think? I think she doesn't know sh!t and just wants something to argue about.

It really depends on the supplement.

Protein - You can achieve the same things by just eating more protein.

Creatine - Helps your muscles retain more fluid, therefore making them appear larger and more swollen, also helping with blood flow which makes you able to lift a little more weight. Long-term does damage to your kidneys because it causes your body to produce more creatinine, which is toxic for your body. I believe they make a version that limits the production of creatinine.

Vitamins - Waste of money IMO.

Mass Gainer - Probably most useful for building muscle. It makes it much easier to consume lots of protein and carbs without becoming bloated and consuming too much fat

T-Booster - More testosterone = faster muscle gains

Pro Hormone - Big-time testosterone boost and crazy muscle gains. I've used one before, and it's ridiculous. Just make sure to take an estrogen blocker and post-cycle or you might grow some titties.

So mainly, the most useful supplements that you can get are the ones that boost your T levels. At the same time, these are the ones you have to be most careful with so they don't have adverse effects on your body. The biggest part of fitness is nutrition. I'd say nutrition is more important to your fitness goals than your workouts are.