Supplements

If you guys are curious about protein and some studies surrounding it, look up some of Dr. Layne Norton's stuff on Muscle Protein Synthesis (MPS). In short, it seems the overall amount of protein isn't as important as how often you can stimulate MPS with a minimum amount of protein.

It's not like eating that much is "bad" and doesn't work, but it seems that it's not very optimal.

Layne is usually my go to source, but he just had so much damn information sometimes it's an overload.

I'm with you there. It's insane sometimes.

If you guys are curious about protein and some studies surrounding it, look up some of Dr. Layne Norton's stuff on Muscle Protein Synthesis (MPS). In short, it seems the overall amount of protein isn't as important as how often you can stimulate MPS with a minimum amount of protein.

It's not like eating that much is "bad" and doesn't work, but it seems that it's not very optimal.

It is pretty amazing how timing can play a HUGE factor when taking supplements. I try and take mine the same time for pre and post workout and during the rest of the day when I can. Even eating at certain times before and after is a big deal.

I remember reading that the best time to eat higher glycemic carbs is with protein supplement post workout. I forget all the scientific details but I believe it helped with MPS.

I remember reading that the best time to eat higher glycemic carbs is with protein supplement post workout. I forget all the scientific details but I believe it helped with MPS.

I don't think the carb matters too much as long as there is not a large amount of fiber to go along with it that could slow absorption. There is some synergistic activity between protein and carbs, I think that's what you're remembering. It's not huge, but it does seem to exist.

Thought this was a good read. More about timing of food for running and ironman type events.

http://m.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2014/02/lose-weight-by-eating-more.aspx

One of my FB friends said this, which I thought was a good:

Although the timing of nutrients is quite important in my experience, their advice at the conclusion of the column is off. Ensuring that you eat the largest meals early in the day, and the lightest at the end of the day works wonders. Replacing the "healthy fats" with protein (probably half of the 1/3 suggested by the article) will make you more satiated, level your blood sugar, and generate more stored fat consumption. I don't believe that eating before a workout is necessary (especially in the morning), eating during the workout would only be for workouts exceeding an hour, and eating healthy after the workout would be the most important.

It is pretty amazing how timing can play a HUGE factor when taking supplements. I try and take mine the same time for pre and post workout and during the rest of the day when I can. Even eating at certain times before and after is a big deal.

I eat 2 pop tarts with my protein shake after every workout. It causes an insulin spike which helps drive the aminos from the protein and such into the muscle. Gummy worms or gummy bears are actually the best thing to eat post workout along with a protein shake.

Layne is usually my go to source, but he just had so much damn information sometimes it's an overload.

Is there a Cliff Notes 3-5 page summary somewhere? :dunno

Not to my knowledge. Layne has a lot of information on a lot of subjects. I haven't really seen much from him on supplementation directly, but I haven't searched for it either. It's kind of one of those things where you google his name and what you want to learn about. The only thing I would say is just be aware that he is sponsored by a supplement company, so while he does promote BCAA stuff it's a little murky as to whether he really believes in that or is selling the product.

Here's his website: http://www.biolayne.com/

And youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqMBA83S0TnfTlTeE5j1mgQ

I eat 2 pop tarts with my protein shake after every workout. It causes an insulin spike which helps drive the aminos from the protein and such into the muscle. Gummy worms or gummy bears are actually the best thing to eat post workout along with a protein shake.

Smart man, I used to eat a few Sweet Tarts. Now my post workout drink takes care of this for me.

Smart man, I used to eat a few Sweet Tarts. Now my post workout drink takes care of this for me.

No insulin shots?

No insulin shots?

Those are great for the ladies after you take em home.

• Fire 1

Supplements: There are all kinds on the market. Do any of them work or help reduce body fat, lose weight etc. Has anyone found success using any of the below or any not mentioned?

A quick search I can find these suggestions:

Green Tea Extract

Green Coffee Bean

CLA

Sesamin

L-Carnitine

7-Keto

Garcinia Cambogia

Rasberry Ketones

Also Testosterone supplements to boast T levels without hormone replacement creams - anything work for you guys

CLA is a waste of money IMO, I've used it before and got nothing. I've read others that have said if you combine it with say a shredder type supplement or a burner type supplement they think it works. I'm not sure how they think they know that though? It could be just the other supplement working.

CLA is a waste of money IMO, I've used it before and got nothing. I've read others that have said if you combine it with say a shredder type supplement or a burner type supplement they think it works. I'm not sure how they think they know that though? It could be just the other supplement working.

Caffeine is hella better than CLA IMO