SIGNED DE Peyton Newell

Stated he is going to release his top 5 on June 1st. I know we will be in it, but it does seem like South Carolina is the team to beat right now. I'm guessing he will be at BRW though and hopefully we can get a commitment from him there.

Major win for us considering how big of a success BRW was last year.

Only a win, if he commits.

I think getting them here is usually our #1 priority as it is really hard to get a commit from them if they don't at least visit...so in that aspect, I will take this small win for now:)

I think getting them here is usually our #1 priority as it is really hard to get a commit from them if they don't at least visit...so in that aspect, I will take this small win for now:)

Peyton has visited multiple times so he already knows what we bring to the table.

This. Els made it pretty clear that campus visits are a must in order to turn prospects into commits. Now, with Newell, he has already been on campus (e.g., BRW last year). However, with his recruitment heating up with South Carolina, we need to get momentum our way, and this visit could do it.

Peyton has visited multiple times so he already knows what it's like.

Was not aware of that...thanks for clarifying.

From Husker Journal. I don't think this one is going to drag out. By end of summer, we should know his choice.

MAY 25 2013. ALL TEAMS MESSAGE BOARDS PAYTON NEWELL, DE, 6-3, 280, HIAWATHA, KANSAS

"I have 34 offers," Newell said. "I'll be narrowing it down June 1. I'm going to release it about 5:30 PM. I think I'm going to commit on August 30."

"This summer I will be at Nebraska for Big Red weekend and I'll probably visit South Carolina once. Nebraska has been there from the beginning for the recruiting process." Newell said

No Stranger to NU

"I'm very comfortable up there, I've been up there a few times, the games went really well and I enjoyed it. I really like Lincoln there is really a lot to do and it's a very safe city." Newell said

"I went to the Penn State and the Michigan games. Their (game day) is nothing like that I really enjoyed it. It was really cool with they do with the player walk before they go out on the field. They have the recruits do it as well. There were several people reaching out to me calling my name when I went out there" Newell said

Brother gives Bo a hug

"They (Nebraska) are one of the few staffs where I have a relationship with each of the coach they are very interested in me. Me and coach (Bo) Pelini kicked it off right after the bat. Not just me and coach Pelini, but my family as well. My little brother (six years) would always run and give coach Pelini a hug stuff like that; which is what most people don't get to see." Newell said

"There is nothing like Nebraska's facilities," Newell said. "It's top notch they seem to keep on getting better every year."

USC visit coming up

"South Carolina, you know my dad use to live in that area." he says. "It's pretty down there you know it's in the SEC. You know that the program is growing in he right direction just like Nebraska is."

"I like South Carolina's coaching staff, I like all the people down there; the facilities are a perfect fit." Newell said

Newell said distance isn't a factor. He wants a college where he can make it to the NFL.

cornhead.gif

From Husker Journal. I don't think this one is going to drag out. By end of summer, we should know his choice.

MAY 25 2013. ALL TEAMS MESSAGE BOARDS PAYTON NEWELL, DE, 6-3, 280, HIAWATHA, KANSAS

"I have 34 offers," Newell said. "I'll be narrowing it down June 1. I'm going to release it about 5:30 PM. I think I'm going to commit on August 30."

Scout is reporting that Newell will release his top 6 this Saturday http://nebraska.scou...%2f1295140.html

Is Saturday June 1st? Well, I'll be...