Is Poland asking too much?

Were Polish people killed at this death camp? Don't know why a place where Polish people were killed couldn't be called a Polish Death Camp. Grammatically it makes sense to me.

Still, I know what Obama meant. The world knows what Obama meant. It was an slip up. I'm sure he was saying the word "Polish" all day long and messed up on his speech that was probably typed up minutes before he was to give it. Relax people. I've called my wife by my sister's name when she was being obnoxious.

And when a spokeman for the President apologizes for something publically that the President said...it's the same thing as the President saying it. That's why he's called the spokesman for the President. How much time do you think the President would waste if he was to constantly be having to answer press questions regarding his statements?

Were Polish people killed at this death camp? Don't know why a place where Polish people were killed couldn't be called a Polish Death Camp. Grammatically it makes sense to me.

Still, I know what Obama meant. The world knows what Obama meant. It was an slip up. I'm sure he was saying the word "Polish" all day long and messed up on his speech that was probably typed up minutes before he was to give it. Relax people. I've called my wife by my sister's name when she was being obnoxious.

And when a spokeman for the President apologizes for something publically that the President said...it's the same thing as the President saying it. That's why he's called the spokesman for the President. How much time do you think the President would waste if he was to constantly be having to answer press questions regarding his statements?

The implication is the Polish ran the death camp. A German ran death camp in occupied Poland, I guess is correct. While most people understand what he meant, it is not what he said. If 99% of people said this, they would either be corrected or no one would say a word, because they missed it, or understood what you meant. Unfortunately when you are the President of The United States, every flub, mis-que, stammer, mispronunciation etc., is seen as an insult, or proof you're an idiot. For further reading see the eight years of GWB and how much he was bashed for his mushing of words.

Grammatically it doesn't make sense, a Polish death camp would mean it was a death camp owned or ran by the Polish, the proper term would be a Nazi death camp in Poland, or occupied Poland. The statement in many peoples eyes makes it sound if the Poles wanted to kill millions of people in their country (also I think even Germans would prefer it not called a German Death Camp). It would be almost as insensitive to say Jewish Death Camps, while Jewish people were killed there, it doesn't make sense to say it that way. An apology from the President's spokesman is in my personal opinion a slap in the face to another head of state, it can't be that hard to pick up the phone and make a call to the Polish Prime Minister and apoligize for his mistake.

Grammatically it doesn't make sense, a Polish death camp would mean it was a death camp owned or ran by the Polish, the proper term would be a Nazi death camp in Poland, or occupied Poland. The statement in many peoples eyes makes it sound if the Poles wanted to kill millions of people in their country (also I think even Germans would prefer it not called a German Death Camp). It would be almost as insensitive to say Jewish Death Camps, while Jewish people were killed there, it doesn't make sense to say it that way. An apology from the President's spokesman is in my personal opinion a slap in the face to another head of state, it can't be that hard to pick up the phone and make a call to the Polish Prime Minister and apoligize for his mistake.

No, grammatically it DOES make sense. People of Poland were put to death in a camp. Polish death camp. If it were called a Puppy Death Camp, you wouldn't think puppies were the ones killing people.

Hell, people called them Japanese Internment Camps...you don't think the Japanese were relocating themselves, do you?

You hear what you want to hear. The name of the camp isn't what matters. Acknowledging what happend there is.

• Fire 3

This is the "smart diplomacy" we were promised in the campaign run-up to the 2008 election. Apparently, the Poles aren't smart enough to figure out exactly what the President meant. Really, what's the big deal? Why the fake sensitivity about who exactly was responsible for the death of some 6,000,000 innocent people? Heck, that was over 60 years ago. Let's move on.

You do know that not just Polish people were killed there right? You say acknowledging what happened there is important but want to completely cut out those who were responsible for the atrocities committed and at the same time deny that more than just Polish people were killed and held at these camps.

Is the Japanese Internment Camp the correct term to use, well yes because that is what they were actually called when they were set up by our democratically elected officials. It is a historically accurate name.

And apparently I am not the only one who hears what I want to hear, because Poland and the American Jewish Committee agree with me.

The American Jewish Committee has also rejected the usage, stating that:

Auschwitz-Birkenau and the other death camps, including
and Treblinka, were conceived, built and operated by Nazi Germany and its allies. The camps were located in German-occupied Poland, the European country with by far the largest Jewish population, but they were most emphatically not "Polish camps". This is not a mere semantic matter. Historical integrity and accuracy hang in the balance.

Our economy - the world's economy - is teetering on the brink of collapse. We have major social issues to deal with in this country. Our national infrastructure is a shambles and needs a major overhaul. We are engaged in one major war and terrorism is fomenting across half the globe, much of it aimed at us.

Can we please focus on what's important and knock of this mindless drivel about whether it was a "Polish death camp" or a "Nazi death camp?"

For God's sake - get your damned priorities in order. Stop parroting this crap and focus.

• Fire 2

Our economy - the world's economy - is teetering on the brink of collapse. We have major social issues to deal with in this country. Our national infrastructure is a shambles and needs a major overhaul. We are engaged in one major war and terrorism is fomenting across half the globe, much of it aimed at us.

Can we please focus on what's important and knock of this mindless drivel about whether it was a "Polish death camp" or a "Nazi death camp?"

For God's sake - get your damned priorities in order. Stop parroting this crap and focus.

Yes... Agreed, maybe our President can take time from his busy schedule of hanging out with Jimmy Fallon, or making non policy comments about gay marriage, or having his staffers change bio of past Presidents, to focus on the issues at hand, like exposing the man who got us OBL.

• Fire 1

Knapp keep on topic, your a mod after all. And if you want to complain about priotities maybe you should aim them toward the people whose priorities need to be focused. Last I checked I have my priorities in order, I am finacially sound, and in good legal standing in the world. The rest of your statement I will be more than happy to agrue with you about in another topic, but I hate when things conversations get sidetracked by people who don't like the direction of the conversation.

Knapp doesn't need anyone to defend him, but his post critiquing the substantive merits of this topic is perfectly on topic. The bottom line is that it is, in fact, a dumb thing to to fret over. People that get so animated about this kind of stuff and insist on regurgitating it as "gotcha talking points" clearly don't have their priorities sorted.

The implication is the Polish ran the death camp. A German ran death camp in occupied Poland, I guess is correct. While most people understand what he meant, it is not what he said. If 99% of people said this, they would either be corrected or no one would say a word, because they missed it, or understood what you meant. Unfortunately when you are the President of The United States, every flub, mis-que, stammer, mispronunciation etc., is seen as an insult, or proof you're an idiot. For further reading see the eight years of GWB and how much he was bashed for his mushing of words.

I guess the Polish people who actively assisted the Germans with these death camps get a free pass.

Poor grammar and should have been more clearly worded.

I guess some people want an apology for America instead of simple regrets. :P

No, grammatically it DOES make sense. People of Poland were put to death in a camp. Polish death camp. If it were called a Puppy Death Camp, you wouldn't think puppies were the ones killing people.

Hell, people called them Japanese Internment Camps...you don't think the Japanese were relocating themselves, do you?

You hear what you want to hear. The name of the camp isn't what matters. Acknowledging what happend there is.

Those were American Internment Camps.

Yes... Agreed, maybe our President can take time from his busy schedule of hanging out with Jimmy Fallon, or making non policy comments about gay marriage, or having his staffers change bio of past Presidents, to focus on the issues at hand, like exposing the man who got us OBL.

He exposed George W. Bush?