The Big Ten Network moving Tier 2 Programming to their Channel?

An interesting article from Penn State blogger Ryan Murphy about the BTN and how its role, now that it's available across the nation, could grow in importance significantly for everyone following these schools:

Currently, the conference channels get (or are planning on getting) very few premium events (called Tier 1 and Tier 2 content). Conferences and teams are programming mainly their Tier 3 events on their channels. Most everything else is bought up by ABC/ESPN or—to a lesser extent—CBS, NBC, or FOX.

In a few more years, the Big Ten’s rights will be up for grabs. As pioneers in the whole college conference channel movement, it’s not outlandish to think they might also be the first to withhold all of their Tier 2 content for themselves.

Right now, Tier 3 games may be stuff like Arkansas State or Southern Miss this year, that if ABC/ESPN does not pick up, the BTN gets. ABC/ESPN gets both Tier 1 and 2 currently, but the media contracts are up in 2014-2015 or so, which means the planning will be happening soon, if not already.

But this also feeds into something I've touched on before--the need for television 'inventory', if you will, or the number of games the BTN can show to expand its importance and audience (and thus, ad revenues and DoNU's coffers). The only way to expand beyond current inventory is to...well...expand. And the article surmises that...

If they wanted to keep all of their Tier 2 product though, in addition to the Tier 3 they already broadcast, the Big Ten would definitely need to add teams.

Which kind of rolls nicely into my point about FSU and the Big 10--FSU to the Big 10 would provide the BTN lucrative Florida media markets, and an expansion of the role the BTN plays would help generate significant revenue increases for the conference members, and enough to help a certain panhandle school in Florida fight back against the whole of the SEC that keeps undercutting them on talent and facilities.

There's a lot more to read at the Nittany Lions Den on this subject, including author Ryan Murphy's thoughts on what the Big 10 should do if the ACC melts down.

A bit confused. If the B1G Network added teir 2 programing they would have a lot more programs. Why would they need to add more teams? Much more programing from teir 2 would be added.

I understand the arguing for seeking more markets, but don't see how adding of teir 2 programing strengthens this argument, in my opinion it weekens the argument.

Good read though.

I would like to see more Tier 3+ programming LIVE on the channel (i.e. Baseball, Volleyball, Softball, etc.).

I agree. But let's be honest--there are only four to six schools whose Tier 3 offerings would attract viewers in the Big 10. The rest are noise in the background.

And this kind of goes with/addresses GratefulRed's comments--expansion with a quality program (e.g. FSU) would not only provide more Tier 2 content that people would stop down to watch, but more Tier 3 inventory as well.

The other aspect to this is that your Tier 1 programming is still being farmed out to the tune of millions of dollars--expansion with the right program (e.g. FSU) provides more Tier 1 programming, with the long-term goal of inflating the Tier 1 contract payout to the same size as what the Tier 1 + 2 contract is now.

Just like when Nebraska was added, adding FSU to the Big 10 conference adds anywhere from 3-5 additional Tier 1 games/year for football. Additional benefits would include increased Tier 2 and 3 inventory and expansion of the BTN's footprint (advertising and carrier fee revenue increase) if the right expansion candidate is picked.

I thought I also recall the potential for a "BTN 2" or something similar. Seems like this would go right in line with that. I realize they have the extra channels now for football games in the Fall, but this would seem to start to build the concept for an actual second network. Could be wrong, but I thought I had heard at least mention of a second conference network.

Just an overall thought on the programing on the B1G Network. They do a great job with football and basketball. They seem to almost ignore baseball. There are 6 games every day of the 3 day weekend, and only 1 gets aired each day. They air just about as much live softball. I guess they feel the ratings aren't there, but they need to work at building this product to make it profitable which could be done.

As for Mathew's arguments for FSU, I'm coming around. It wont happen, but could be an opportunity lost.

Just an overall thought on the programing on the B1G Network. They do a great job with football and basketball. They seem to almost ignore baseball. There are 6 games every day of the 3 day weekend, and only 1 gets aired each day. They air just about as much live softball. I guess they feel the ratings aren't there, but they need to work at building this product to make it profitable which could be done.

As for Mathew's arguments for FSU, I'm coming around. It wont happen, but could be an opportunity lost.

Agree with both points regarding the BTN--the Big 10 itself is the reason they continue to have an inferior baseball conference. If the BTN would shore up its live coverage and the conference get rid of undue scholarship restrictions in baseball that no other conference utilizes, it has shown that it can have a few good teams each year and a good conference schedule.

As for FSU, you're also right. I doubt the Big 10 would pull the trigger on it, but it would be a significant opportunity lost. Then again, Delaney is likely focused on screwing up the four-team playoff discussions.

Wouldn't the B1G make more money off its own network broadcasting Tier 2 games instead of ABC/ESPN? Isn't most of the Teir 2 games regional when they are broadcasted by the big networks as where they would be broadcast nationally with the B1G network?

Wouldn't the B1G make more money off its own network broadcasting Tier 2 games instead of ABC/ESPN? Isn't most of the Teir 2 games regional when they are broadcasted by the big networks as where they would be broadcast nationally with the B1G network?

*DING DING DING* Winner winner, chicken dinner.

Initially, there may be a stumble, but the long-term would mean that the BTN directly reaps the benefits of all advertising profits directly, instead of the cut that Disney currently has.

But unless the BTN can successfully force a second channel (not talking about the current overflow channels) and expand coverage, they may run into some scheduling issues...unless the Big Ten goes non-traditional and starts moving some games to Wednesday or Thursday night? Some schools, like your Minnesota or Indiana that aren't exactly powerhouses may be more amenable to this, and if it's done as the only game happening that evening on the BTN, you can build up to it and provide more nights of live programming relevance for the BTN during the football season, thus increasing ad revenue on those nights.

Plus, there was an interesting tweet today that also supports these points and that the Big Ten may be moving in this direction--the BTN is in 51 million homes according to Tom Dienhart, with more people outside the B1G footprint subscribing than within. 30 million subscribers have BTN2Go, and it's in 20 countries internationally.

I imagine that moving most of the second-tier programming to the BTN itself would help improve on what are already impressive numbers.

The SEC is getting their network off the ground. The SEC is on top and their fans are rabid fb fans so will the SEC network produce more revenue per school than BTN? Even though ESPN pushes the SEC superiority down our throats to get more national appeal, I see the SEC as very regional and their fans living in small market cities (Lexington KY, Columbia SC, Birmingham Al, Knoxville TN etc) and/or cover less populated states (Ky, Ark Miss, La, SC) whereas the B1G covers a lot of big TV markets in heavy populated states. Also many of B1G universities are considered more prestigous (I know that sounds snobby) in that they draw their students (alumni) from across the US. I am sure there are more Mich, Penn State, OSU, IU grads living in the densely populated northeast than your typical SEC school.

The SEC is getting their network off the ground. The SEC is on top and their fans are rabid fb fans so will the SEC network produce more revenue per school than BTN? Even though ESPN pushes the SEC superiority down our throats to get more national appeal, I see the SEC as very regional and their fans living in small market cities (Lexington KY, Columbia SC, Birmingham Al, Knoxville TN etc) and/or cover less populated states (Ky, Ark Miss, La, SC) whereas the B1G covers a lot of big TV markets in heavy populated states. Also many of B1G universities are considered more prestigous (I know that sounds snobby) in that they draw their students (alumni) from across the US. I am sure there are more Mich, Penn State, OSU, IU grads living in the densely populated northeast than your typical SEC school.

That is true--academics does play a significant part in the Big 10's success in their national footprint.

But the states that the SEC reside in have some decent to significant markets--Texas (Houston, San Antonio), Missouri/Kansas (K.C., St. Louis), Georgia (Atlanta), Florida (Miami, Jacksonville, Tampa, Orlando, St. Petersburg), Louisiana (New Orleans), Tennessee (Memphis, Knoxville).

That's more than enough for a SEC network to be successful. But understand it will take a year or two for the SEC Network to become profitable--the BTN wasn't successful overnight, and I'd like to think that the SEC is smart enough to realize that creating a network doesn't happen overnight and doesn't happen without a lot of hard work behind the scenes.

Then again, this *is* the conference that tacitly employs cheating and paying off players via relation, so maybe they don't know this...