2012 MLB Draft Aftermath

We know Black is gone. He's already stated he'll sign with the Braves, and you can't blame the guy. Good luck to him.

Now to the other Huskers drafted:

Matt Strahm - 643rd by Kansas City

Travis Huber - 700th overall to Minnesota

Richard Stock - 713th by Cleveland

These are guys with decisions to make. All three have eligibility left (Strahm is a 2012 signee), while Huber and Stock are JRs. I'm hoping all three are in Lincoln next year. Is there any reason to suspect they won't be?

Also, congratulations to Kale Kiser (711th to the White Sox) and to Khiry Cooper (781st to Boston). Good luck to both guys. :thumbs

I hope this doesn't bode ill for future Husker teams in baseball. I heard rumors this week that Husker teams in the Bid 12 wouldn't loose kids drafted in the 20th round and they would stay hoping to improve their draft status the next year. I don't want kids leaving early now that we are in the Big 10 because they feel they can't improve playing here (meaning the competition not the coaching). Erstad I'm sure is working hard to change that thinking if it exists and wants kids to commit for the long haul.

I hope this doesn't bode ill for future Husker teams in baseball. I heard rumors this week that Husker teams in the Bid 12 wouldn't loose kids drafted in the 20th round and they would stay hoping to improve their draft status the next year. I don't want kids leaving early now that we are in the Big 10 because they feel they can't improve playing here (meaning the competition not the coaching). Erstad I'm sure is working hard to change that thinking if it exists and wants kids to commit for the long haul.

I wouldn't call this any more than normal draft attrition. It would be great to be able to keep these guys for their senoir year. The problem is that as a drafted senior you have no leverage when negotiating your signing bonus. Your only option is to sit out a year and get drafted again. As a junior you stand a better chance to get a bigger signing bonus. As a senior you may get drafted higher, but end up signing for less because you have no leverage.

I would call this a rumor what conference you play in should not matter at all.

Good news is we only lost 2 recruits to the draft, so we should be able to keep our scholarship numbers where they should be. The over-singing limitations of the B1G should have minimal effect.

It's my opinion that being in the B1G vs B12 doesn't have much of an impact on the major league draft. To support that opinion I would just point to H.S. draftees and Juco draftees. It's all about projection of the players skills. I think a player can polish those skills regardless of the competition for the most part and I would point to the different levels of A ball to support that opinion. It may be that the player isn't impressed with the support and weather around b1g baseball vs b12. That might have a bigger impact.

Just my opinion.