Should Biggs redshirt ?

It is no secret that this year is probably going to be more of a struggle wins and losses speaking with or without Biggs. Why take a year a of eligibility when it won't probably matter record wise. Let's give him a year to learn the system so when our team is ready to make some noise in two years, he'll be available.

I look at it the opposite. Biggs can help this team now. No this team isn't going to a post season tournament with or without him, but Biggs could help get a couple extra wins and maybe keep a couple of the losses more competitive. Him being a two year guy he wont be seeing this programs best days anyways. I say we use him as a bridge to keep some of the excitement around the program this and next season.

He doesn't need a year to learn the system, this isn't football. If Biggs can help this team get to 12 wins I say suit him up.

This ^^^ The total number of wins probably won't be significant enough to alter the post-season, but being "competitive" is where you can give the fans and the program some hope and early momentum.

I think that's a very good point, it might help spring recruiting as we need another C/PF type. If we surprise a few people that might influence some decisions. Plus that gives you a potential returning starter going into the following year. That experience will help next year's team.

I'm open to debate -- Does 8 or 12 wins really matter in the grand scheme of things? Even if it's to help us get the NIT (which isn't the ultimate goal) a year from now or next, I think that would do more to build and keep program momentum than a difference of a couple wins in an estimated losing season.

Maybe throwing out 12 wasn't wise on my part. I do think it is important to at least look like we belong in the same league as some of these teams. Getting 8 wins against a bunch of cupcakes and getting blown out against every above average team would be pretty demoralizing for a fan base that is desperate for a team to root for. I think all sane fans realize this will be a rough season, but if we can put forward a little better product it could cull some of that freak out we are bound to see come January.

I guess I see Tai Webster and the rest of this class as the future. Biggs wont be around long enough to see Miles hit his stride in Lincoln even if he RS. But if he can keep the ball slightly this season I think he will be much appreciated in Husker Nation.

We'll find out Nov. 14th. In the meantime, Nebrasketball fans need to spend the next month and one day on their knees praying Webster signs early. If his LOI isn't on Coach Miles' desk by the 15th I'd be very worried, he's most likely gone.

• 4 weeks later...

Well it is official. Biggs will redshirt.

Hate to see it. That decision presupposes that Biggs will be better than future recruits we hope to garner. I'm expecting that Smiles has his sights set on even higher upper level talent. (Not a knock on Biggs at all, just that the bar should keep getting re-set higher and higher).

The pessimist in me (which is quite strong after 25+ years of Nebrasketball) says Miles finally made it official because he found out Webster isn't signing early and he's going to need a reliable guard for a couple more years

OR.........(and hopefully more likely)...........Biggs himself really wants to 'shirt and Miles is keeping his promise to let him make the decision.............

The pessimist in me (which is quite strong after 25+ years of Nebrasketball) says Miles finally made it official because he found out Webster isn't signing early and he's going to need a reliable guard for a couple more years

I think Webster is committed to NU and the staff is definitely committed to him. I'm hearing Webster is likely to have academic qualifying issues stemming from differences between New Zealand curriculum and requirements here. I think that's why the sudden interest in Jorgenson.

I think Webster is committed to NU and the staff is definitely committed to him. I'm hearing Webster is likely to have academic qualifying issues stemming from differences between New Zealand curriculum and requirements here. I think that's why the sudden interest in Jorgenson.

Robin Washut (@RobinWashut) tweeted at 0:33 PM on Wed, Nov 14, 2012:

Update on Tai Webster: He's still finishing classes in New Zealand and has gotten qualifying SAT score. He's fully expected to make it to NU

(

)

• 2 weeks later...

I was discussing this over the weekend and ESPN just answered it for me. Biggs is the first Nebraska native to sign with the Huskers since 2001. Glad to have him here. Obviously he took a longer route but hopefully the Huskers can start to pick up some of what little D-1 talent is coming out of the state currently.

• 4 weeks later...