2012 Husker Soccer team/schedule

After a little digging over the last week, I was able to locate a bit of information regarding the team's schedule and some of their incoming players. Interesting stuff. While the Huskers have not officially released the schedule yet, here is what I've been able to glean from other sources:

8/10 - South Dakota State (Exh.) - Brookings, SD

8/17 - Oklahoma - Norman, OK - 7:00 PM

8/19 - Drake - Lincoln - 12:00 Noon

Husker Invitational - From what I can tell, the other teams are Virginia Tech, New Mexico, and Iowa State - it appears from Iowa State's schedule that we don't play them, so I'm assuming that our games will be against Virginia Tech and New Mexico. Virigina Tech has us listed for Friday, so I'm giving the details for that, but don't have a time on the New Mexico game.

8/24 - Virginia Tech - Lincoln - 5:00 PM

8/26 (assumed) - New Mexico - -Lincoln - no time for game

8/31 - Baylor - Waco, TX - 7:00 PM

9/2 - Cincinatti - Cincinatti, OH - 1:00 PM

9/8 - Southeast Missouri State - Lincoln - 5:00 PM

9/14 - Northwestern - Evanston, IL - 5:00 PM

9/21 - Purdue - Lincoln - 4:30 PM

9/23 - Indiana - Lincoln - TBA

9/28 - Michigan St. - East Lansing, MI - 3:00 PM

9/30 - Michigan - Ann Arbor, MI - 1:00 PM

10/5 - Wisconsin - Madison, WI - 7:00 PM

10/12 - Penn St. - Lincoln - 7:00 PM

10/14 - Ohio St. - Lincoln - 12 Noon

10/18 - Iowa - Iowa City, IA - 7:00 PM

10/21 - Illinois - Urbana-Champaign, IL - 1:00 PM

10/26 - Minnesota - Lincoln - TBA

We will likely have 2-4 more non-conference games, and Indiana didn't have their schedule up either. Neither did New Mexico, which is why I didn't have a time for that one.

Some interesting stats - from that schedule, our non-conference has 2 that were outside 100 RPI last year (not counting SDSU). The listing for last year's RPIs is as follows:

Oklahoma - 100

Drake - 274

Virginia Tech - 21

New Mexico - 68

Baylor - 15

Cincinatti - 190

Southeast Missouri State - 99

Northwestern - 202

Purdue - 136

Michigan State - 54

Michigan - 94

Wisconsin - 69

Penn State - 9

Ohio State - 34

Iowa - 61

Illinois - 17

Minnesota - 82

Indiana - 166

Not a bad nonconference. A few easier teams, mixed in with a few powerful teams.

As far as the team, while I don't know a ton, what I did track down has to do with Toro Bravo club team out of Omaha. Five of our incoming freshmen are off that team, a team that won the Nebraska Soccer Championship, were picked to participate in a National League of club teams (only 12 picked to participate), and finished first in their group of six teams, with a 4-0-1 record, and lost in the championship game 3-2 on penalty kicks. No one scored in regulation or overtime. One of the incoming freshmen was on the top 10 list in that league for scoring, scoring 3 goals in their six games. I would think that having so many that played on that team coming in, those girls likely have a comfort level with one another already, which likely can only help the team. That squad had 18 players that are going on to play college soccer, with only one playing at the DII level. Texas A&M is getting 3, Iowa State is getting 2, UNO is getting 2, North Dakota State is getting 1, Missouri State is getting 1. Some very quality players that can hopefully help us fairly quickly.

If you're interested, the page for that club is here -

http://www.torosocce...o-2009-present-

So while we may have lost Morgan Marlborough, and no one can really replace her, having a group come in with those credentials on the high school level, with the comfort level they're likely to have, I have a lot of confidence for the future, and potentially for this year, in this team. GBR!

Edit - 6/27 to add Indiana date

• 2 weeks later...

Released the schedule today. Link is below. The dates I show above look to be pretty accurate, though the times ended up an hour off in some cases. They did add a game on 9/16 against Northern Colorado, but other than that, I think the above showed the rest of the games. Should be an interesting schedule. I wondered if Walker was trying to get one last game lined up, and it looks like that was likely the case. Fun times! Northern Colorado didn't add much to the RPI, but at least they get another match to help them keep strong, hopefully...

http://www.huskers.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=100&SPID=26&SPSID=40