Big Ten-Pac 12 Pact Dissolves

GSG

Friday: Leagues announce the partnership no longer will happen.

Here's Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany's statement:

"We are disappointed to announce today that the Big Ten Pac-12 strategic collaboration announced jointly in December 2011 unfortunately will not be consummated. We recently learned from Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott that the complications associated with coordinating a non-conference football schedule for 24 teams across two conferences proved to be too difficult. Those complications, among other things, included the Pac-12's nine-game conference schedule and previous non-conference commitments.

"A great effort was made by both conference staffs to create football schedules that would address the variety of complexities, but in the end, we were just not able to do so. While everyone at the Big Ten is disappointed by the news, we look forward to continuing the historic partnership that we have with the Pac-12 and to working together on other matters in the future."

I'm ok with this.

I think we would be suffering from over-saturation if teams played in the reg season and played in the postseason.

I'd also rather be playing the SEC,Big XII or ACC.

I think the saturation argument is a bit overblown.

The B1G has a single postseason tie in with the Pac-12 (the Rose Bowl duh). It has 3 with the SEC (Capitol One, Outback & Gator) & 2 with the Big 12 (Insight & Meineke).

The problem with meeting SEC opponents more during the regular season is that so few of it's teams are willing to travel outside of Dixie. As for the Big 12 outside of Texas & Okie there is nobody worth playing.

I'm ok with this.

I think we would be suffering from over-saturation if teams played in the reg season and played in the postseason.

The B1G has a single postseason tie in with the Pac-12 (the Rose Bowl duh). It has 3 with the SEC (Capitol One, Outback & Gator) & 2 with the Big 12 (Insight & Meineke).

The problem with meeting SEC opponents more during the regular season is that so few of it's teams are willing to travel outside of Dixie. As for the Big 12 outside of Texas & Okie there is nobody worth playing.

ACC then.

Weaker conference, good cities, great recruiting states, a bunch of Big Ten alumni in those areas. We also have the BBall set up with them.

And we don't play them in the postseason often if at all.

I'm ok with this.

ACC then.

Weaker conference, good cities, great recruiting states, a bunch of Big Ten alumni in those areas. We also have the BBall set up with them.

Wouldn't MAC be a step up over ACC?

I'm ok with this.

ACC then.

You would be correct. But I want it for selfish reasons(ie traveling)

MAC teams retread over the wonderful midwest that I already live in and visit during the Big Ten season.

:lol:

You would be correct. But I want it for selfish reasons(ie traveling)

The giant ponds of pig manure ponds along tobacco road are an especially nice treat.

I'll suffer through tobacco road for road trips to Boston, College Park and Atlanta.

You should love the 2015 schedule then. :D

The thing that really sucks is that this agreement is what led to the cancelling of the series with Georgia. I wonder if that can be revisited.

There was another one that got canceled, hopefully we can get that back too (can't remeber who it was Tennessee?), but I would have liked the full weekends of the two conferences meeting in Chicago or some neutral site to have a huge extravaganza for their olympic sports each year and then a PAC/B1G challenge like we have with the ACC, but oh well.

I won't gloat but we're smirking a bit. Only because 5 months ago we heard that Delaney made this contract to squeeze ND off the two conference's schedules. ;)

It's probably better for NU and the conference too. Has anyone ever enjoyed a bowl game rematch?

I don/t believe that for a second (the Delaney thing, he knows having ND on those schools schedule is a good thing for those schools, especially Purdue and MSU) rumor mills around South Bend do not make motive. Unless of course you have a link or are merely be a smartass (which I could then get behind).

No way he'd rather see Purdue play Utah instead of ND.

I won't gloat but we're smirking a bit. Only because 5 months ago we heard that Delaney made this contract to squeeze ND off the two conference's schedules. ;)

It's probably better for NU and the conference too. Has anyone ever enjoyed a bowl game rematch?

I don/t believe that for a second (the Delaney thing, he knows having ND on those schools schedule is a good thing for those schools, especially Purdue and MSU) rumor mills around South Bend do not make motive. Unless of course you have a link or are merely be a smartass (which I could then get behind).

No way he'd rather see Purdue play Utah instead of ND.

Delaney never said it; we heard in the comments section posted under the articles and on the message boards. It was slightly above conspiracy theory status.