Your First Husker Game

I don't know how old I was but I'm guessing around 8. I don't remember who we played but we sat about rows up in the NE corner of the endzone. I was a fat kid growing up so what I remember about the day was going to Chesterfields before the game. The bar was packed and I ate a plate of Nachos and had one bite of a chili dog that had pretty messed up beans on it. I didn't care for it. I remember we were at the game and back then food was limited. I was bitching about being hungry still so my dad bought me a hotdog. I was pissed because they all came with mustard and I hated mustard. I refused to eat it. After the game I picked up about 30 Nebraska cups as they sold pop only in cups with that crappy scotch tape across it to keep the vendors from spilling it. I never wanted to go back to a game again.

I have actually never been to a live husker game. Been stuck in Iowa city as a broke college kid. Here's my dilemma. I'm going to the heroes game in kinnick regardless. But should i go to the Wisconsin game this year? Or wait until Iowa next year so i can visit memorial after the east stadium Is done? Decisions, decisions.

My first game was Iowa State 1993. I remember them beating us in 1992, but we drubbed them at this game. I was a junior @ Scottsbluff High School, and it was areal treat for me and my father to take a break and go to a Husker game in Lincoln. I was born a Husker fan, but that game turned me from fan to fanatic!

I was at that game. Buddy and I got tickets in the visitor's section - only time I've ever sat there. The Cyclones fans were hooting and hollering before the game started, and we got to talking to these folks sitting in front of us. They were so sure they were going to win because they had beaten us the year before, and we were like... um, no... it's not going to be like that. They were having NONE of it and continued on about how they were going to beat us at home, etc etc.

It was 21-7 after the first quarter, and they were much chagrined after that. The Blackshirts were relentless that day.

First game was in Lawrence in 2001. Beat KU 51-7....I was with a bunch of KU fans.

First home game was against Texas Tech in 2005. We lost, but I had a blast tailgating and seeing the stadium for the first time. My heart was racing as I walked up the stairs and finally saw the inside of the stadium. I was smiling ear to ear! :)

My favorite game I've been to probably was also my dad's first game. I got him tickets for the Colorado game in 2008. We got to witness the craziness after Henry's 57 yard field goal.

This is the most special game for me as well. My dad had just been diagnosed with cancer and his Bday is Nov 24 (mine is Nov 25). We didn't know how things were going to turn out for him at the time and I wanted to make sure we got to a game together. We sat in the North End Zone in my buddy and I's seats. When we got down my dad was really bummed, he also was sick from the chemo he was taking so very weak. When Henery lined up for the field goal my dad stood up and watched with everyone and when it went through he jumped up, high fived me and screamed at the top of his lungs. He was tired after, but when Suh got that TD he cheered loudly again. After the game we sat there for an hour just taking in the stadium together and talking. He looked at me with tears in his eyes and told me he loved me and thank you for bringing him, it was the best he had felt in months. He slept all the way home, but at that moment I knew he was going to be OK. Cancer free for 2 years now!

• Fire 2

This is the most special game for me as well. My dad had just been diagnosed with cancer and his Bday is Nov 24 (mine is Nov 25). We didn't know how things were going to turn out for him at the time and I wanted to make sure we got to a game together. We sat in the North End Zone in my buddy and I's seats. When we got down my dad was really bummed, he also was sick from the chemo he was taking so very weak. When Henery lined up for the field goal my dad stood up and watched with everyone and when it went through he jumped up, high fived me and screamed at the top of his lungs. He was tired after, but when Suh got that TD he cheered loudly again. After the game we sat there for an hour just taking in the stadium together and talking. He looked at me with tears in his eyes and told me he loved me and thank you for bringing him, it was the best he had felt in months. He slept all the way home, but at that moment I knew he was going to be OK. Cancer free for 2 years now!

My mom's final game was 2010 Texas. She passed away a few months after that. I'm more than a little bitter we played like we did for her final game. Damned glad your dad is doing well, and that game was a hell of a thing for him to see. :thumbs

My mom's final game was 2010 Texas. She passed away a few months after that. I'm more than a little bitter we played like we did for her final game. Damned glad your dad is doing well, and that game was a hell of a thing for him to see. :thumbs

Thanks, and sorry about your mom. I'm sure the experience of the stadium was still awesome, no matter how many games she has seen it is always fun.

I think my first ever Husker game was Kansas State in about 1976. My brother was in college at UNL (I was younger). All I remember is my brother taking me down to meet one of the Pillen brothers, Clete or Jim, after the game oh, and that it was a total blowout win. I believe it was one the Pillens that slobberknocked that OU guy on that famous blindside hit. Went to 2 or 3 more home games before I started at UNL in about 81. Since then I've been to a bunch. My earliest memories of the huskers was listening to one of their games, against Hawaii, in my parents car as we were driving somewhere at night in a blinding rain. Don't know the year or even why I remember that so well.

I have actually never been to a live husker game. Been stuck in Iowa city as a broke college kid. Here's my dilemma. I'm going to the heroes game in kinnick regardless. But should i go to the Wisconsin game this year? Or wait until Iowa next year so i can visit memorial after the east stadium Is done? Decisions, decisions.

My only advice is don't wait. Go to as many and as often as you can. If you've never been to a live game, don't wait for anything as lame as the East Stadium Expansion to be done. You need to get a whole new level of husker fever in ya.

1983 vs Syracuse, I was seated with friends in the student section.I think the final was 63-7got to see Gill and the gang. When Syracuse scored their only td I still remembera student down front wearing a Syracuse shirt turned around and started screaming about it "take that fuskers!" About that time an empty Jack Daniels bottle flew by my head towards him...good times:-)