Your First Husker Game

First Home game - 1978 vs. Cal..we won 36-26. Don't remember much at all.

First Away game - 1981 vs OU..another win 37-14. We weren't sure how this one was gonna end up with Gill out. I remember my old man and his brother getting in a post-game scrap with a couple drunk OU fans, and a few other OU fans telling the cops that the OU guys started it.

Utah St. in 1988 on my 6th Bday. My dad, two uncles and my grandpa all went together. Hot as hell and then it stormed and rained bad enough to delay the game for awhile. The rain felt great then was hot again. When I finally got to the top of the stairs and saw the field for the first time I got the chills. But that didn't hold a candle to when the team finally came out. I will never forget it. Been to lots of games since and get chills every time. OU in '93 is the loudest I've ever heard the stadium in person.

I did not realize this until I looked it up and am disappointed by my discovery.

I attended the win over NC State on 9/22/1973 and the following game 9/29/1973 over Wisconsin.

The disappointment is that if I had gone to the game one week earlier, I would have attended Osbornes first game as head coach --- i attended his last game for the Orange Bowl.

This is the most special game for me as well. My dad had just been diagnosed with cancer and his Bday is Nov 24 (mine is Nov 25). We didn't know how things were going to turn out for him at the time and I wanted to make sure we got to a game together. We sat in the North End Zone in my buddy and I's seats. When we got down my dad was really bummed, he also was sick from the chemo he was taking so very weak. When Henery lined up for the field goal my dad stood up and watched with everyone and when it went through he jumped up, high fived me and screamed at the top of his lungs. He was tired after, but when Suh got that TD he cheered loudly again. After the game we sat there for an hour just taking in the stadium together and talking. He looked at me with tears in his eyes and told me he loved me and thank you for bringing him, it was the best he had felt in months. He slept all the way home, but at that moment I knew he was going to be OK. Cancer free for 2 years now!

Great story and sounds like your dad is a warrior....never gives up, I like that. Best wishes for your family man

1994 vs. the mighty Pacific squad :lol:

I remember walking up the stairs in the east stadium thinking we'd never get to our seats, then being in total awe when we came out the gate. For a little kid who had never seen a stadium larger than small town roll away bleachers its was amazing. I also seem to remember being terrified when my dad left at halftime to get food that I'd get lost and it would be impossible to ever be found. Thankfully that didn't happen though, and we ate at Kings after the game, which was also awesome getting loaded up on sugar from the epic malts they had.

my first game was 08 in Lincoln vs. KU, it was one crazy day, i live in southeast kansas and i bought tickets for my dad,brother, and i. We got there early so we could go out and eat, then we could walk around and take it all in. we parked in a parking lot that wasnt marked no parking or anything but ended up getting our car towed! my dad and brother (who are KU fans) let me go ahead and go into the stadium while they got a taxi and went and go the car. they got there just in time to see the flyover. i remember it being a really good game and we ended up winning 45-35 with a big 4th quarter. I remember how awe struck i was during the tunnel walk, and how much louder memorial stadium was compared to the KU-ISU game i went to the year before in Lawrence. I have always been a big husker fan, but that day i realized just how special a game is in Lincoln.

My first and only game in person was November, 1st 1997. Coach Osborne's 250th win 69-7 over OU. The man that got us the tickets was real good friends with Charlie McBride. We got to go into McBride's office after the game. His family was in their and Coach's Mom made the comment, " Charlie why did you let those boys score on Coach Osborne's big day?" to which he replied, "Sorry Mom, but we were trying to play all our Walk-on's at that time". It was Winstrom and Jason Peter's Senior night and they had a reception that Coach McBride took us along with as his guests. Only after he gave us a ride back to our tailgating spots in his black F-150 with red pinstriping that spelled out blackshirts on the door.

• Fire 1

My first and only game in person was November, 1st 1997. Coach Osborne's 250th win 69-7 over OU. The man that got us the tickets was real good friends with Charlie McBride. We got to go into McBride's office after the game. His family was in their and Coach's Mom made the comment, " Charlie why did you let those boys score on Coach Osborne's big day?" to which he replied, "Sorry Mom, but we were trying to play all our Walk-on's at that time". It was Winstrom and Jason Peter's Senior night and they had a reception that Coach McBride took us along with as his guests. Only after he gave us a ride back to our tailgating spots in his black F-150 with red pinstriping that spelled out blackshirts on the door.

Wow! If you only have the chance to make it to one game, you might as well have that experience. That's as good or better than all my in-person games combined.

My first game was in 1992. I was 10. We played Utah. I remember that my Dad got us tickets to go for my birthday which was a couple of weeks later. I got a new pair of red cotton Nebraska shorts. I don't remember much about the game except that it started raining in the 2nd half. We decided that we would leave early as I am pretty sure they even delayed the game some because of lightning. As we were walking back to the car, we were getting soaked by the rain. By the time we returned to the car my new shorts had bled some of the red dye and my legs were completely red. It was the most amazing experience ever even though we had to leave early. It seems that I now take for granted being able to go to the games. Like it is a right. It is a privilege to be able to experience a husker game in Memorial Stadium. I have taken my 2 year son to the last 2 fan days and tried to go to the Spring Game this year which got rained out. So I guess my son and I have the same experience of our first games as it rained although I actually got to see them play for a while.

This is the most special game for me as well. My dad had just been diagnosed with cancer and his Bday is Nov 24 (mine is Nov 25). We didn't know how things were going to turn out for him at the time and I wanted to make sure we got to a game together. We sat in the North End Zone in my buddy and I's seats. When we got down my dad was really bummed, he also was sick from the chemo he was taking so very weak. When Henery lined up for the field goal my dad stood up and watched with everyone and when it went through he jumped up, high fived me and screamed at the top of his lungs. He was tired after, but when Suh got that TD he cheered loudly again. After the game we sat there for an hour just taking in the stadium together and talking. He looked at me with tears in his eyes and told me he loved me and thank you for bringing him, it was the best he had felt in months. He slept all the way home, but at that moment I knew he was going to be OK. Cancer free for 2 years now!

Great story and sounds like your dad is a warrior....never gives up, I like that. Best wishes for your family man

He never quits. Think that's why so many of us relate to the football team. It's hard, but you never quit until the final gun sounds.

Mine was also in 81. PSU game that we lost on that terrible call by the refs. I've been hooked ever since.

Mine was the Auburn game that following Saturday. Pouring rain and watching Lionel "little train" James trying to run on that rain soaked field. My GF at the time left and sat under the south endzone, where are seats were, (not the old student section) cussing at me the whole time I'm sure.