New kickoff, touchback rule mean new strategies

Enhance

http://journalstar.c...f90c6287cc.html

You’ll find differing opinions from Nebraska players and coaches on significant NCAA rule changes on special teams that go into effect this season.

To begin with, kickoffs will be moved up 5 yards, from the 30-yard line to the 35, matching the rule change the NFL implemented a year ago. The idea is to have more touchbacks, fewer returns and fewer chances for violent, concussion-resulting collisions.

Nebraska senior Tim Marlowe doesn’t like the change, and most of his return men brethren would probably agree. They want to touch the football.

Here’s why they still might: Touchbacks will now come out to the 25 (a rule the NFL did not implement).

I had completely forgotten about this new rule change until I saw this article. It's very intriguing to see the stat listed further in the article, saying Maher would have had 100% of his kicks land in the end zone last year had he kicked on his average.

I completely understand the safety concerns with kick offs, but I'm not sure I like the 25 yard line rule. Five yards may not seem like a lot, but it is to me.

I still don't understand the idea of "let's give kickers an easier chance at touchbacks, but give them less incentive to do so". It seems like whatever safety they're implementing is thrown by the wayside when changing the touchback rule to the 25.

EDIT: I suppose it's giving the returners incentive to kneel in the endzone?

Kick offs are an extremely important part of the game, mainly from a spectator point of view, but they can also mean a world of difference in field positioning. I completely understand the dangers behind it, but there's always a high level of anticipation each kick off, wondering what might happen. This could be gone almost entirely from the game - either it will be a touchback or the ball will have so much hang time that the receiver will have to call fair catch.

For overall safety I like it, but I won't deny it'll be bitter sweet to see it change.

I know you often see big hits on kick offs, but has anybody actually brought forth any evidence that players are more likely to sustain significant injury during a kick off than any other play? Just curious because I've never really heard anything factual to justify the move from the NFL of the NCAA. And I find it kind of ironic that they moved kick offs back only a few years ago, I think to have less touchbacks.

I know you often see big hits on kick offs, but has anybody actually brought forth any evidence that players are more likely to sustain significant injury during a kick off than any other play? Just curious because I've never really heard anything factual to justify the move from the NFL of the NCAA. And I find it kind of ironic that they moved kick offs back only a few years ago, I think to have less touchbacks.

All kinds of silly that the NCAA moved them from the 35 back to the 30 before the 2007 season I think, following the NFL's example. Then, a few years later the NFL decides to move them to the 35 and the NCAA follows suit.

I still don't understand the idea of "let's give kickers an easier chance at touchbacks, but give them less incentive to do so". It seems like whatever safety they're implementing is thrown by the wayside when changing the touchback rule to the 25.

Ya, with the extra five yards as enticement you'll significantly more guys taking a knee.

So, I was never a kicker...so if there are former (or current) kickers let me know if this is possible. Kickers in college have been routinely been kicking the ball 75-80 yards for a while now (kicking off from the 30 it is 70 to the goal line plus however deep he may put it in the end zone). What if you tee it up higher (is there a rule as to how high a ball can be on the tee for a kick-off?), and then focus on kicking it higher and shorter...say about 50-55 yards. A kick-off is a live ball unless the receiver calls a fair catch, right? If the kicker could get the ball to hang long enough, the coverage could get down and force him to make a fair catch inside the 20...and if it ends up on the 25 or so, there is no difference than if he were to kick it out of the end zone. Like I said, I don't know anything about kicking...just trying to think of a way around the NCAA idiocy.

• Fire 1

So, I was never a kicker...so if there are former (or current) kickers let me know if this is possible. Kickers in college have been routinely been kicking the ball 75-80 yards for a while now (kicking off from the 30 it is 70 to the goal line plus however deep he may put it in the end zone). What if you tee it up higher (is there a rule as to how high a ball can be on the tee for a kick-off?), and then focus on kicking it higher and shorter...say about 50-55 yards. A kick-off is a live ball unless the receiver calls a fair catch, right? If the kicker could get the ball to hang long enough, the coverage could get down and force him to make a fair catch inside the 20...and if it ends up on the 25 or so, there is no difference than if he were to kick it out of the end zone. Like I said, I don't know anything about kicking...just trying to think of a way around the NCAA idiocy.

I was a backup kicker in high school, Cali Husker's got a point. When we would practice kick-return team, our coaches would move our kicking tees 1.5" higher (the thickness of a 2x4), precisely to keep the kicks short so they could be returned. The problem with this is that 10 out of the 11 guys (assuming the receiver takes a fair catch) still run down and smash heads with other guys, something the NCAA wants to avoid. So really, nothing is solved.

This takes away a small advantage from NU. We were #7 in the nation in kick returns last year. link Probably would've been about the same this year. But we won't return near as many now, I'm guessing. On the other side, Maher is one of the best kickers in the nation--if not THE best. Routinely kicking it out of the back of the endzone. But with the extra five yards, most teams will have a kicker on their roster who can reach the back of the endzone.

This takes away a small advantage from NU. We were #7 in the nation in kick returns last year. link Probably would've been about the same this year. But we won't return near as many now, I'm guessing. On the other side, Maher is one of the best kickers in the nation--if not THE best. Routinely kicking it out of the back of the endzone. But with the extra five yards, most teams will have a kicker on their roster who can reach the back of the endzone.

Which is greater, the advantage of being 7th in kick return yardage, or the disadvantage of being 104th in kick return yardage allowed?

I don't know.

Which is greater, the advantage of being 7th in kick return yardage, or the disadvantage of being 104th in kick return yardage allowed?

I don't know.

Ouch! I dunno. I had no idea our coverage unit sucked that bad last year.

I don't know.

Ouch! I dunno. I had no idea our coverage unit sucked that bad last year.

That is why Maher's touchbacks were so important last year.

I did a quick search and found this. I have no idea if it is legit, where the numbers come from, etc. I can't be bothered to look further.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2011/09/will-new-kickoff-rules-really-reduce.html

Great point, I guess we could look at stats but is seemed like when the the ball was kicked from the 30 it was still tough to get out past the 20 when a ball was kicked deep, (inside the 5 but not into the endzone). I think your comment is great as I can see more teams try to train kickers to put up balls that are deep but not in the endzone so they must be returned and the kicking team gets a 15 foot head start. Who knows what will happen, BO can be so risk averse that he may just say kick 'em all out and lets not risk the long return. I guess we will see but your example of mixed incentives is a great one.