Custom [BB] code & Emoticons

zoogs

From time to time, we may decide to add some functionality to the BBcode. Nothing too complicated, most likely, and largely just for kicks. I'll take suggestions, but the goal is to add some reasonable functionality to posts, and not enable widespread abuse of let's say, moving text. Enjoy!

Abbr

For abbreviations and acronyms, e.g., e.g. ...Usage:

[abbr="mouse o'er text"]abbreviation[/abbr]

*NEW* Blockquote

This will allow you to manually insert quoted sections in posts not subject to the limit of 5 quote tags. Please don't nest too many blockquotes within one another. This is designed to allow users responding to points to quote little snippets more frequently, and not to allow giant quote-pyramids.

Currently, you can't add in parameters (i.e, quote author name). Also, don't insert extra linebreaks after the tag, or it will get included in the output.

[blockquote]Quoted text[/blockquote]

Note: please don't do this:

[blockquote]
Quoted text
[/blockquote]

for now, as it will add extra linebreaks. This is NOT true of the 'quote' tag.

Emoticons

We'll also use this place to announce additions to the emoticon base :afro:

• Plus1 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

photo-4424.jpgAh, that one is for images to get them to align right. I was experimenting around a while ago and forgot that one was in there. I should probably take it out though, it can cause some alignment issues. Here's an example.

Right-floated image
[fright]http://www.huskerboard.com/uploads/profile/photo-4424.jpg[/fright]

There's some minor things like blockquote attributes don't work (you can't set a poster name like quote does) and it seems to add extra linebreaks unless you have the opening and closing tags on the same line.

The main thing is it won't be subject to the QUOTE limit of 5 per post. That limit will still prevent big nested quote pyramids from forming as users keep clicking the 'quote' button to respond, but it also allows people to manually include as many snippets as they like for a line-by-line response to another post.

Interesting.

So you can put in who you're quoting, but no link to that quote.

When in the course of human events, blah blah blah

Four score and seven years ago, our forefathers brought forth on this continent a new nation.

To be, or not to be. That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing, to end them. To die; to sleep - no more.

But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Now begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion. You stand between me and my lord and kin, and living or dark undead, I will smite you if you touch him.

And in that very moment, away behind in some courtyard of the city, a c$%k crowed. Shrill and clear he crowed, recking nothing of war nor of wizardry, welcoming only the morning that in the sky far above the shadows of death was coming with the dawn.

And as if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horns, horns, in dark Mindolluin's sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the north wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last.”
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I DON'T KNOW WHERE ELSE TO POST THIS AND DIDN'T WANT TO START A NEW THREAD.

SOMETIMES WHEN I'M TRYING TO POST A GIF OR IMAGE, IT WON'T EMBED. I'VE EVEN TRIED USING THE 'INSERT OTHER MEDIA' BUTTON AND PASTING THE URL IN THERE. IT MOSTLY SEEMS TO HAPPEN WHEN I TRY TO POST SOMETHING FROM THE GIPHY WEBSITE.

ANYBODY GOT ANY IDEAS?