Drug Testing in CFB

The schools testing is basically trying to catch things before they become NCAA issues. The NCAA runs 3rd party testing and the prevalence is by sport. Throwers on the track team get it the most, football is second, wrestling is third, etc. They give you less than 24 hours notice and it is mandatory. Missing it is equivalent to a failed test. Whenever the lady would come around to tell us (This was not an UNL) about the testing everyone would scatter. Mostly because no one wanted to be up and whizzing in a cup at 0600 the next morning. It was a "convenience" at that time so it didn't interfere with classes. Still a little bitter about that one...

Lastly, people forget that in '91, the U.S. Congress and Supreme Court called upon the DEA, FDA and one other government organization to determine if steriods should be found illegal to the public. Well, the DEA, FDA and the other organization decided that steroids should not be made illegal to the public and that there can be safe use. Well, someone must' have paid off Congress because their determination was negated by Congress and anabolic/androgenic steroids were made illegal. You can find that fact on the documentary "Bigger, Faster, Stronger."

Which was a really interesting documentary I thought.

Very interesting indeed. If people have huge issues with steroids, this documentary may open their eyes a bit.

Theirs a line between use and abuse....proper usage is key in my opinion. sh#t....I can go to the local Walgreens right now and go buy some Nightquil and Aspirin, take it in high doses, and possibly OD and kill myself. Hell, with aspirin alone, you can OD and kill yourself.

If I am not mistaken, there hasn't been once case reported where someone OD'd on steroids, period. However, I do not promote the use of steroids whatsoever, yet I don't frown upon someone for taking them properly. It is taking them improperly, that's when I start to become concerned and look down upon it. Sorry if I am turning my discussion into a political rant, I will ease back lol.

Whether or not a person can OD on steroids isn't really the issue. They are a performance enhancing drug, meaning that those who use them gain an advantage over those who don't. EPO, HGH, anabolic steroids, etc. can all be used responsibly and safely, but should they be a part of sport? Unfortunately, they ARE a part of sport and I'd argue that they are far more common than most people realize.

The WADA vs. Lance Armstrong case shold be playing out in the near future and I wonder how much effect it will have throughout the sporting world.

Whether or not a person can OD on steroids isn't really the issue. They are a performance enhancing drug, meaning that those who use them gain an advantage over those who don't. EPO, HGH, anabolic steroids, etc. can all be used responsibly and safely, but should they be a part of sport? Unfortunately, they ARE a part of sport and I'd argue that they are far more common than most people realize.

The WADA vs. Lance Armstrong case shold be playing out in the near future and I wonder how much effect it will have throughout the sporting world.

I do concur.