Closing Arguments: Nebraska

Last year Nebraska entered into uncharted territory and embarked on a journey that would carry them to the wilds of Wisconsin, the monument of Michigan, and the Situation at State College. Before the season even began, expectations were high for the Cornhuskers of Nebraska, but as we all know, sometimes expectations only bring sad faces. Despite wondrous highs such as defeating Michigan State in dominating fashion and epic comebacks like that of the Ohio State variety, Nebraska often struggled to get in tune with its new conference slate losing early and somewhat often, at least by Nebraska standards, on its way to a 9-4 season.

With no Spring Game due to the storm from hell, Cornhusker fans have been forced to sit with the bitter taste of defeat in their mouths and with anticipation that this might be the year that Taylor Martinez takes the vaunted, "Next Step." After every pundit pounded its chest stating that Martinez has regressed, the defense has no identity, and that Nebraska is still a few years away, fans have become a bit... agitated. Calls for Pelini's head are heard across the state and the wonderful story that began all happy last year has become more of a nightmare in many ways.

Still, would you count this team down and out? With returning stars on both sides of the ball, this is no team to overlook, and even though they may not be National Championship material, this is still a team to take seriously...

Off Tackle Empire Story

This is a pretty good SB Nation blog that focuses on the Big 10. Book mark it!!!

I think the expectations for Nebraska from the "experts" works to our advantage. The key point is. nobody knows. Nebraska players haven't done a lot of talking, I think they will do their talking on the field. With the walk ons, and the desire of the Cornhuskers the 2012 has a lot of depth. I think Nebraska will finish out a lot better than some expect. Look on the sidelines next Saturday. You will see a demeanor of a team that would lay down their life for one another. You are gonna see players on the sidelines and wonder if its 1994 again. Not cocky, not holding a swaggar, but they are going to have that "look" in their eyes back.

As far the "Defense has no identity" statement, early on the Blackshirts are going to say, "please allow me to introduce myself."

• Fire 1

I think the expectations for Nebraska from the "experts" works to our advantage. The key point is. nobody knows. Nebraska players haven't done a lot of talking, I think they will do their talking on the field. With the walk ons, and the desire of the Cornhuskers the 2012 has a lot of depth. I think Nebraska will finish out a lot better than some expect. Look on the sidelines next Saturday. You will see a demeanor of a team that would lay down their life for one another. You are gonna see players on the sidelines and wonder if its 1994 again. Not cocky, not holding a swaggar, but they are going to have that "look" in their eyes back.

As far the "Defense has no identity" statement, early on the Blackshirts are going to say, "please allow me to introduce myself."

I couldn't agree more. Its been nice that we haven't had coaches or players talking about how great we are and instead working on getting great. It always reminded me of the pretty popular girl from high school trying to tell you that she's still pretty and popular now that she's 20 years older and 80 lbs heavier.

This leads me to believe more than anything else that this current squad "gets it'. Perhaps more than any other squad since the turn of the century. We haven't heard a guy on Twitter saying how we're going to stomp USC ('06), no breaking huddles with "National Champs!" ('07), and no "finish" bracelets ('10). I've been hoping for awhile guys like Burkhead, Martinez (yep, went there), or any other upperclassman would take on the role of leader, the BS talk would quit, and they would just play.

For the first time in a long while, I think I see that. And that, in a nutshell is why I'm stoked for this year.

• Fire 1

We'll see what happens. Predictions are based largely on what happened last year, and in many key areas this team was inexperienced last year. While experience is an important trend to prognosticators, it isn't necessarily consistent on a player to player, year by year basis. Sometimes guys just don't 'get it'. Sometimes whole classes, for whatever reason, never turn that corner.

The one "expert" lost me when he predicted a loss to Penn State...........

Penn State is the one team that I would say has the best chance to unexpectedly beat us. Ever since they had the sanctions cast upon them, everyone has counted them out already. I honestly think that they will be pretty good this year. They will be stout once again on defense, and with an offensive-minded head coach taking a new (and probably better) approach on the offensive side of the ball, Penn State is one team that could be pretty dang good.

Penn State is the one team that I would say has the best chance to unexpectedly beat us. Ever since they had the sanctions cast upon them, everyone has counted them out already. I honestly think that they will be pretty good this year. They will be stout once again on defense, and with an offensive-minded head coach taking a new (and probably better) approach on the offensive side of the ball, Penn State is one team that could be pretty dang good.

I agree Penn St. could easily go 8-4 or better this year. It will be year 2,3,4 and beyond of the sanctions that you see them slip.

This leads me to believe more than anything else that this current squad "gets it'. Perhaps more than any other squad since the turn of the century. We haven't heard a guy on Twitter saying how we're going to stomp USC ('06), no breaking huddles with "National Champs!" ('07), and no "finish" bracelets ('10). I've been hoping for awhile guys like Burkhead, Martinez (yep, went there), or any other upperclassman would take on the role of leader, the BS talk would quit, and they would just play.

For the first time in a long while, I think I see that. And that, in a nutshell is why I'm stoked for this year.

Did someone really say that in 'o7? :facepalm:

You may be close on this, but I think it could just as easily go the other way. A lot of emotion to start the season, but then the grind and lack of depth kick in and by the time they get to Lincoln in November the sense of this season (the best of the next 5) shows up as grim reality.