More option………?

Comish

The majority of responses to this thread have been very good, But I wonder if I didn't articulate well what the original post was supposed to convey.

I titled it More Option when I SHOULD have titled it more Triple Option since my take is the availability of a running back/fullback hybrid like Marrow gives us a true 3rd option far more than a thumping plugger.

I'm trying to picture it in my mind and don't think it's possible. But, is there a way the second RB actually blocks the LB which would spring the QB loose?

The thread is starting to meander a bit for me, personally, so I'm not really sure what scenario we're dealing with. Care to elaborate on this for me?

I'm bad with describing this. But, my original idea on this was to have a two back set. The first fake would be the normal zone read. Then, if the QB keeps the ball, the second RB would be behind the QB running wide.

Now, this thought is trying to figure out if that RB could some how block the LB to spring the QB. But, the problem is he would start on the outside of the QB and would have to cut in front of him to get to the LB while not slowing down the QB.

The only other option is if you would have a WR on that side crack down to take him out.

I'm bad with describing this. But, my original idea on this was to have a two back set. The first fake would be the normal zone read. Then, if the QB keeps the ball, the second RB would be behind the QB running wide.

Now, this thought is trying to figure out if that RB could some how block the LB to spring the QB. But, the problem is he would start on the outside of the QB and would have to cut in front of him to get to the LB while not slowing down the QB.

The only other option is if you would have a WR on that side crack down to take him out.

I think I understand what you're describing. Something like this: shotgun splitbacks, zone to the right. QB and left RB make the read, right RB lead blocks for QB to the backside (right side). That's just a timing issue. Florida ran those types of sets with Tebow there. You have some latitude with the timing with the mesh with the RB on the zone read that allows that second back some flexibility to come around the QB and take the appropriate angle to do various things. Depending on how you wanted to treat the WRs you could also buy a second by faking it as a pass and use draw action. Lots of little ways to make that timing work.

• 2 months later...

This thread cracks me up now. Damn I love when I'm right.

Because it's such a rare occurrence?

Very true. But this time, it hath occurredeth.

And it wasn't the fact that people disagreed with me, but it was the way they disagreed. Comments like, "you've lost it", or "that's ridiculous"....Haha, yea......

Zone read option yes. Traditional NU option of the past, ehh hopefully not. That takes crazy timing and practice as well as a QB who will step into the mouth of the D to make them commit. Martinez, while incredibly fast, is not for this. He slows up and stands up into contact. Not good. Every time he runs and it is not going to the house I cringe for his safety as I have never seen a player run like he does when contact is imminent. Hopefully he has worked with this some on Ganz.

It would also seem that the staff is at least ready to unleash Martinez again which either means he has gotten "more physical", is 100% AND we actually have a plan B that will work if he goes down. (no, not Cross at RB and Rex running the wildcat!)

I agree as TMart runs the exact way coaches tell you not too and that is strait up, you are supposed to lower your pad level so it's easier to make a move or brace for contact/protect your ribs. He looksl like he's just running sprints in practice and am suprised that he hasn't been hurt more becasue of it.

I agree as TMart runs the exact way coaches tell you not too and that is strait up, you are supposed to lower your pad level so it's easier to make a move or brace for contact/protect your ribs. He looksl like he's just running sprints in practice and am suprised that he hasn't been hurt more becasue of it.

I would have agreed with this a few short weeks ago. But something has changed in the way he runs. His pads are lower, and he just seems to have a different demeanor when he's running. He's been scrambling to avoid pressure, he's been making people miss in the open field, and he's been lowing his shoulder instead of just standing straight up to take a hit.

The "he's only a straight line runner" slogan no longer applies, I reckon.