Remembering Nebraska's Historic '94'-'97 run

zoogs

http://sportsillustr...wr_a5&eref=sihp

From 1994 through 1997, Nebraska went 49-2 and won three national championships. The 1994 and '95 titles were won outright, while the '97 championship in the pre-BCS era was shared with Michigan (the Coaches' Poll gave the crown to 13-0 Nebraska, but the media went with the 12-0 Wolverines). In 1996 the Cornhuskers had to settle for an 11-2 record and a No. 6 national ranking.

It remains one of the greatest four-year runs in college football history -- and one that the Alabama Crimson Tide are threatening to challenge this season. Alabama is 36-4 with two national championships over the past three seasons, and the Tide figure to be in serious contention for a third title this year.

I loved this comment:

"Sure, there was some good fortune along the way. Nebraska did not have many major injuries during those years (though quarterback Tommie Frazier missed much of the 1994 season with a blood clot in his leg)." Not quite sure this statment makes sense. Didnt have many injuries, except their starting QB mixed about a whole season.???? Not to mention the second stringer missed a couple games. And the their heisman trophy candidate RB (Phillips) missed the majority of a season.

Ahhh...the era that set up Husker Nation to be torn in two as a fan base.

Don't get me wrong. I loved that era and I wouldn't change it for anything. That was the most exciting sports eras in Husker history.

However, ever since then, the fan base has been split between people whose expectations are that the Nebraska football program should be that good and fans who believe that was something very special but not reality in most years.

All Huskers dream of having that good of a program again and that is what we are striving for. But, it's like some fans can't even enjoy the season unless we roll over the other teams 55 - 0 with perfection.

I'm new on this board so I don't know if anyone on here is that way. So, don't take it personally, I don't know you yet. But, I dream of the day when Husker nation isn't as split on the program as it has been since the late 90s.

• Fire 1

"Sure, there was some good fortune along the way. Nebraska did not have many major injuries during those years (though quarterback Tommie Frazier missed much of the 1994 season with a blood clot in his leg)."

Not quite sure this statment makes sense. Didnt have many injuries, except their starting QB missed about a whole season.???? Not to mention the second stringer missed a couple games. And the their heisman trophy candidate RB (Phillips) missed the majority of a season.

lol. Yeah, no major injuries. Well, except the starting QB and the #2 QB. And the best RB in the nation sat on the sidelines all year. --Those SI guys crack me up sometimes. All in all, good article though. :lol: