Band

I always figured we had one of the best bands around......and then we joined the B1G. Safe to say, general consensus among all other knowledgeable B1G fans is that our band is pretty lacking. I'm no band expert so I don't really know why, it's just what I hear.

In what way? Because we don't dot an "I"?

I love our band. Some years are better than others but they add a tremendous amount to the game day experience.

When I went to Minnesota I was totally blown away by their band. It wasn't just a generic, traditional set that our band does every game, it was a real concert and easily the most fun I've ever had watching a marching band. No disrespect to our band, but a lot of their performances are only a few levels higher than my old highschool, most Big 10 bands are on a completely different level altogether. That said I've heard the UNL music department is planning on stepping up their game in the coming years. We can still keep the tradition while adding new, exciting performances, personally I was really fond of the show they did for our last Big 12 home game, it's the only performance they've ever done that sticks out to me.

Another thing to remember, the band performs a different halftime show every game. So that's new music, new drill ever game. They are also students so they can only practice a couple hours a day, and if you only have a week to prepare, then the performance won't be the best.

Another thing to remember, the band performs a different halftime show every game. So that's new music, new drill ever game. They are also students so they can only practice a couple hours a day, and if you only have a week to prepare, then the performance won't be the best.

That doesn't seem to hinder other bands. From what I recall there were a few people in the band on this board and they made it sound like the members wanted to change things up and be fresher but the directors or whoever was in charge were stuck in their ways.

I think they need to modernize a little bit.

marching band ≠ pep band

What? I think he's talking about their half time performance selections. In the 5 or 6 years in a row that I went to games the most recent selection of music I can recall, and recognize what they were playing, was Michael Jackson's thriller. Next to that it was The Who and some hodge podge that payed homage to Johnny Carson. And that doesn't even get to the actual choreography which is pretty dull. Now Texas A&M, there's some stuff that will make you applaud and enjoy the show and it's probably been around for 50 years.

I don't mean to burst anybody's bubble, but our band really is not good.... Unless you're 100 years old.

You aren't bursting my bubble. I don't really care if you or others consider them good or not. I love hearing them, especially their pregame. They are an integral part of the game day experience. BTW, I and my family sat in the row directly behind the NU band at the last game at Folsom field. It was one of the best times this 100 year old geezer has had at an away game.

I don't mean to burst anybody's bubble, but our band really is not good.... Unless you're 100 years old.

You aren't bursting my bubble. I don't really care if you or others consider them good or not. I love hearing them, especially their pregame. They are an integral part of the game day experience. BTW, I and my family sat in the row directly behind the NU band at the last game at Folsom field. It was one of the best times this 100 year old geezer has had at an away game.

I'd be surprised to find one person that is a Husker fan and doesn't like the pregame routine, that's part of Nebraska tradition. But again why do they feel the need to play the same song for us and the other team when they get a first down.

I always figured we had one of the best bands around......and then we joined the B1G. Safe to say, general consensus among all other knowledgeable B1G fans is that our band is pretty lacking. I'm no band expert so I don't really know why, it's just what I hear.

In what way? Because we don't dot an "I"?

I love our band. Some years are better than others but they add a tremendous amount to the game day experience.

When I went to Minnesota I was totally blown away by their band. It wasn't just a generic, traditional set that our band does every game, it was a real concert and easily the most fun I've ever had watching a marching band. No disrespect to our band, but a lot of their performances are only a few levels higher than my old highschool, most Big 10 bands are on a completely different level altogether. That said I've heard the UNL music department is planning on stepping up their game in the coming years. We can still keep the tradition while adding new, exciting performances, personally I was really fond of the show they did for our last Big 12 home game, it's the only performance they've ever done that sticks out to me.

They could be the best band in the world and I'm all for improvement and making it even better.

I enjoy our band. If it gets better....great.

Don't get me wrong, I love our band and enjoyed their show when we I went to a game in Lincoln a couple years ago. But, living in Big 10 country myself and having actually practiced with and marched with the Marching Illini at a game (in high school during a band day), the Big 10 takes their marching bands alot more seriously than Nebraska has up to this point, and it shows, especially if you've ever been in a marching band.

Okay... this has been an interesting discussion. For anyone that thinks the marching band at Nebraska doesn't measure up? We were the fifteenth recipient of the Sudler Trophy, found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Philip_Sousa_Foundation#The_Sudler_Trophy

Basically, recognizing marching bands around the country that, in the words of the organization giving it out, "identify and recognize collegiate marching bands of particular excellence who have made outstanding contributions to the American way of life. The Sudler Trophy is awarded annually to a college or university marching band which has demonstrated the highest musical standards and innovative marching routines and ideas, and which has made important contributions to the advancement of the performance standards of college marching bands over a period of years."

You can only receive it once, and they went to awarding it every other year starting in '07. I would say being awarded that trophy shows that on the national level, at least, we are recognized among the top marching bands in the country.

I also found this link by someone that went through and power ranked who he thought were the best pre-game performances in the country:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/814829-college-football-power-ranking-the-top-25-college-marching-band-pregames

I understand its bleacher report, so yes, I take it with a grain of salt. But he did rank us 13th in the nation.

Those were really the rankings I was able to find regarding bands. I really think we tend to take it for granted, and don't quite understand what we have here. I think a lot of folks think of a 'the grass is greener' type situation, when I don't it's really as far off as people think. I think we fit in just fine with the tradition of great marching bands within this conference.

I think they need to modernize a little bit.

Also, the James Bond thing gets old every five plays.

Don't feel bad I've been going to U of Hawaii games for 15+ years. Until you've heard the Hawaii 5-o theme 30 times a game you have it easy. It's like they know fragments of 2 songs, Hawaii 5-o and some surfer music. It's horriable