Special Teams

C N Red

Well, i think its pretty obvious they need some work but I'm not too worried about Maher.

On the other hand I am REALLY worried about our kickoff team if we stick with who we have on it now. I was at the game and they were all really small guys. I get wanting to get some speed in to get downfield to cover quicker but you gotta have some bigger guys that can blow up some blockers and hold lanes. Btw, i watched Fisher get his hat handed to him every kickoff. I was embarrased for him.

I think it'll be ok. Maher seemed to start booming his kickoffs after the scores started coming faster. As long as he can put 60%-75% of his kickoffs 5 yards deep or more, I think it'll be fine. And obviously its overly pessimistic to assume there won't be any improvement there. That said, I'm much more thankful for the new kickoff rules now than I was before the game.

98 Nebraska 2 121 1  60.50 link

kickoff defense.   98th of 99 teams who have a kickoff this year. We have some work to do.   :facepalm:

I hope you're at least a little sarcastic. That's through 1 game, and most of that yardage came on one blown kickoff. A tiny sample size will do that. It's not like we gave up 40 yard returns every time.
98 Nebraska 2 121 1 60.50 link

kickoff defense. 98th of 99 teams who have a kickoff this year. We have some work to do. :facepalm:

I hope you're at least a little sarcastic. That's through 1 game, and most of that yardage came on one blown kickoff. A tiny sample size will do that. It's not like we gave up 40 yard returns every time.

Our kickoff defense last year wasn't anything to brag about either--so I guess I was hoping for improvement. I'm not saying we'll be 98th through the season. Of course. But we do have our work cut out for us if we want to be better than mediocre on KOs. If you're dead last (or 2nd from last) in all of FBS for a given week, well, that's not good.