Send me some good input, so I can deliver you better, more informative stories

GMoose

Hello again, HB. I've recently become a football beat writer for Huskers Illustrated Magazine. Since the magazine is a unique, strictly Husker platform, I feel totally comfortable using you guys as a resource to get at what fans want to know. A lot of times us media types get so consumed on what we want to know that we forget that it's you we're writing for.

That said, let me hear what you want to know that you feel you don't know about already. I always want to deliver the best and most informative stories. Post or PM me with ideas and stuff you think more light should be shed on.

And of course, subscribe to the magazine :) Check out the story in this week's issue about CB Josh Mitchell and his father, who played against UCLA and Troy Aikman the week before the Huskers did in 1988.

I can only speak for myself, but I wish some of the sports related stories we got were slightly more technical - not technical to the point where coaches/players use jargon and not technical enough to where a novice sports follower gets confused (but, given you have to pay for the writing at Huskers Illustrated, one can only assume most of the people who read it are beyond novice).

For example, if a coach says they simply "didn't execute", what does that really mean? Do we get examples? What can you explain about the execution level that will help readers understand but not give away too much for an opponent to use against you?

With some people, namely Pelini, it's tough to get anything except the basic coach speak. But, I think there are some coaches out there willing to divulge a bit more, and some players too. This mostly comes down to asking the right questions, pressing for certain answers without being aggressive, and finding the right people to talk to. I also think it comes down to the topic. A coach is not going to throw a player or even a position unit under the bus in most cases, so post game explanations about bad things that happened aren't really the best time to press for technical answers. Sometimes, however, it'd be nice to know how our coaches are telling our players to get better, rather than saying "we need to get better."

Most importantly, I feel a lot of sports journalism is sensationalized, especially on the national level. Whatever you can do to keep the facts straight and the sensationalism minimal, do it.

I would like to read a "Day in the Life Of" piece or something detailing their daily film studies and workouts.

Yeah I'd really like to do something like this, and I wouldn't be the first. But the availability of players is well...limited. The only people who go near the film room are athletes and coaches, unfortunately

It's so great to see you here again! Your avatar always makes me laugh! I would like to know how the new players like being here. I like the 'Day in the Life of...' but would like to see it written about one of the new players. As a freshman, how do you like being a Husker? That sort of thing! Congrats on your new job!

"Huskers Have Been Here". A perspective of the back left chair by the stage at Shakers.

"Why We Love The Huskers". A history of the Kappa Alpha Theta sorority.

"Embracing the Differences" a study of the offensive lines love of the cult classic, "Powder"

"Cold Feelings". Interviews of the football team discovering the Dining Commons actually serves cold leftover pizza on weekends and the training table is closed.

"HOLY GOD IT'S THE APOCAPLYPSE" snippets from the athletes first reaction hearing the train whistles in Harper Hall.