Why all the martinez hate?

bmaher

he folds under pressure and i think this is why people are criticizing taylor. its not all his fault by any means... our d is flat our o line didnt play well. not many people had their best performance... and as people always say you see your biggest improvement from week 1 to week 2.. this is scary

Its hard to get anything accomplished when you have 1200 pounds of Dlinemen in your face all night.... Martinez and Abdullah were the only reasons we were in the game!

some guy named Kenny Bell disagrees. But I get what your'e saying. Honestly though it was more like 1200 pounds of DL, and 600 pounds of LBers/Safeties...because they brought a couple extra quite frequently. Funny how that disrupts and offense.

Pretty sure Bell dropped a ball.

Show me a receiver who doesn't!! Bell is one of the best in the B1G, and only a Soph.....

Taylor is not the limiting factor of this team. Not even close.

Affirmative to that! He is by far the fastest Husker on the team. He pulled away from the D backs on his long run. Hell, he can't play both offense and defense.

I agree that Taylor is doing well.

But calling his the fastest on the team by far is... probably very inaccurate.

Bell, Heard, Turner, Walenwaber... and likely 2-3 DB's that we have all are as fast (either the same, slightly less fast, or slightly faster) than Taylor. Again, Taylor is very fast... but so too are others on the team.

Actually, on the field and from my reckoning (as best as one can measure such things), Jamal Turner is the quickest and fastest player on offense anyway (which is much easier to measure than is the speed of defensive players). He is explosive. Another is Braylon Heard --- he is so smooth and seemingly effortless in his running that he does not "appear" that fast --- but look at those around him and wow... that guy can fly.

The point is that Taylor is very fast but NU has many guys that fast.

I would put the order of our problems from UCLA's game from biggest to littlest in the following order:

1. Defensive Line Play

2. LB Play

3. Brett Maher suddenly sucking(all mental)

I would put the problems at DB ahead of any of these three. Our DBs looked like they had absolutely no clue what they were doing all the way from coverage to tackling.

I'm sorry, but when the QB can stand back there and scratch his nuts for 5 seconds before deciding where to throw it then I blame the defensive line. It's hard to cover people for that long. I thought Mitchell played pretty well. I can't say that about any of the defensive line.

I disagree.

There were MANY times that the ball was thrown quickly and our DB had absolutely no play on the ball. Now, there were a few times that their receiver/TE just simply made great plays like the TD against Stafford and the long reception against Baptist. The Baptist reception was simply an amazing play by a WR.

BUT, there were many other times when the DB seemed out of position to make a play or simply was beat and it wasn't because the QB had forever in the pocket.

And, that doesn't even begin to talk about their tackling in run support.

no way, most of the wide open recievers and te were mismatches with our LB in under/ crossing routes or taking advantage of our LB by running floods that our corners/afety would be screwed, come up and reciever is open dont and the RB gets 10-15 bc LB can't make it to the flat in less than 5 seconds

Martinez looks so much better than last year, he is not the problem. Play calling in the fourth quarter was the problem. We were getting good production from the run, and Beck starts to panic and calls three straight pass plays in the fourth Q, with six or seven min left. Three and out. Third and one late in the game, and we get stuffed and another missed f/g. You use your best power back for those third and ones. With Rex out, you use Cross. That's on Beck.

I think this staff will get better as the year gos on, just think the D needs more input from Bo, or have him start calling the plays again.

GBR!!!

Taylor is not the limiting factor of this team. Not even close.

Affirmative to that! He is by far the fastest Husker on the team. He pulled away from the D backs on his long run. Hell, he can't play both offense and defense.

I agree that Taylor is doing well.

But calling his the fastest on the team by far is... probably very inaccurate.

Bell, Heard, Turner, Walenwaber... and likely 2-3 DB's that we have all are as fast (either the same, slightly less fast, or slightly faster) than Taylor. Again, Taylor is very fast... but so too are others on the team.

Actually, on the field and from my reckoning (as best as one can measure such things), Jamal Turner is the quickest and fastest player on offense anyway (which is much easier to measure than is the speed of defensive players). He is explosive. Another is Braylon Heard --- he is so smooth and seemingly effortless in his running that he does not "appear" that fast --- but look at those around him and wow... that guy can fly.

The point is that Taylor is very fast but NU has many guys that fast.

I would put him against anyone on the team. He actually ran away from the D backs on his TD run. Explosive? Martinez has the quickest burst for the three steps as anyone we have. Jamal or Heard have any 92 yard TD runs?

TM is fine, he's asked to cover for the joke that is the entire staff. I personally think TM deserves some sort of college football Silver Star for trying as hard as he does for this inept staff. He's a good kid, hopefully he gets a shot at safety/ special teams or something at the next level

TM is fine, he's asked to cover for the joke that is the entire staff. I personally think TM deserves some sort of college football Silver Star for trying as hard as he does for this inept staff. He's a good kid, hopefully he gets a shot at safety/ special teams or something at the next level

You touch upon something here that others might cringe at --- but I think is perhaps a real issue. Maybe I am extrapolating from your perspective too much, and if you get flamed along with me... sorry...

You stated something about covering up for an inept staff...

I surmise that a reasonable subset of the players are, at this point, aware that the NU coaching staff is inept and in over their heads --- and that a reasonable subset of those players have lost confidence in their coaches abilities. If this is so, it is understandable. I have no knowledge in a direct sense that this is happening... but in an indirect sense we do have this...

The team is under-prepared week in and week out. They do not play aggressively and are out hustled most weeks. They play flat, look confused on the field, cannot line up correctly in a timely fashion and they are constantly frantic as the snap approaches on defense trying to determine what they are to do... All of this is consistent with coaching problems. It is rather embarrassing for our staff not to have been able to correct TMarts mechanics and an outside coach did. And most on the team read the posts here and elsewhere on other sites and there are now many, many, many posters that are calling out our coaches for their lack of performance. This is not unnoticed, I am sure, by the players. I have seen this at the HS level several times... where the players lose confidence in their coaches and they play, well... very much how we see NU playing. We have a problem and, I am afraid a problem that will not go away until this staff goes away.

I honestly never in my wildest dreams would think that what I bolded would be said about a Pellini coached team. Not saying a disagree with it. Just am shocked that it is now said about his team.

I agree, hard to believe it, but I do have to agree with it in the UCLA game. Bo knew he was going to be dealing with a freshman QB, but decided not to pressure him early and try and rattle him. Instead he rushed four like usual and let Hundley get comfortable and pick the defense apart. Maybe its not a matter of being unprepared, but definitely guilty of not being aggressive.