Beck's comments on Martinez

lo country

Didn't see anything in the Beck or Martinez fault thread, so I figured I would start a new one regarding Beck's comments.

From the attached article, IMO, Beck thinks it is Martinez's fault. Air your stuff in the film room, not with the media. I am sure that Martinez hearing how the mistakes were "his" and not Beck's makes Martinez feel better.

http://sports.omaha.com/2012/09/11/practice-report-offense-ready-to-bounce-back-after-ucla-loss/

And this one

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/sports/second-half-safety-rattles-huskers-offense-team-unable-to-recover-1.2759267#.UFBxqo5U5So

(from the above)

Offensive coordinator Tim Beck said he saw Martinez look frazzled at times on the field, along with the rest of the offense.

“You know he said he wasn’t (pressing it), I hope he wasn’t,” Beck said. “At times though he was trying to do some things that we had success early on, but weren’t working any more instead of just letting the offense run itself.

Martinez wasn’t the only one at fault forcing things offensively, Beck said. “In tight ball games sometimes that’s when that confidence and that resilience needs to show up,” Beck said. “Guys need to trust in what we’re doing and not take it upon themselves when it’s close and it’s tough. Every yard is going to count; we just got to keep playing in the system. At times we didn’t do that tonight.”

Even though Martinez seemed frazzled at times on the field to his coaches, his teammates remained completely confident in him. Offensive tackle Jeremiah Sirles said Martinez showed great leadership at the end of the game, even with the adversity the team was facing.

He seemed like he had a sense of urgency, which was good,” Sirles said. “He was being a leader. He was doing everything he could to help us rally the troops. That’s what he did and we just came up a little short.”

Nice to see the team has his back.

Question to Beck ref the "red" above, if you are the OC, and he was trying to do things that worked early on, who was calling those plays? Does Martinez actually call play? IIRC correctly he can audible, BUT really, HE WAS TRYING TO DO THINGS or you pulled a Wisky and went full stupid up in the booth?

In a nut shell, uncalled for comments by Beck. Need to say this stuff in private not to the media.

I do not care what you call, there are some things that Martinez can not execute and the OC of all people should know this.

Whoa, let's hold back on that flamethrower a bit.

Martinez has the ability to audible out of the play called if he sees fit. If Martinez called an audible and called a play that didn't amount to much of anything, then the criticism is justified.

I agree that much of the blame is squarely on Beck's shoulders, and I'm concerned that we didn't hear Beck pointing the 'thumb'...but in all fairness, some of this may lie at Martinez's feet as well.

Martinez has the ability to audible out of the play called if he sees fit. If Martinez called an audible and called a play that didn't amount to much of anything, then the criticism is justified.

I agree that much of the blame is squarely on Beck's shoulders, and I'm concerned that we didn't hear Beck pointing the 'thumb'...but in all fairness, some of this may lie at Martinez's feet as well.

Mentioned the audible and there was no mention of that. Doesn't mean Martinez didn't audible into a crap call. Still would have liked Beck to reserve the comments to film room. Not much different than the "look at them and look at us" comments from Raymond. Keep the laundry in the locker room.

Regardless, don't discuss things that invidual players on doing in a way that can be twisted into a negative thing. As a supervisor the first thing I was taught was praise in public, criticize in private. Just say, "we did some good things, we did some bad things.....................as a team we'll work on it."

And then the coaches get beat up for not telling the media and fans anything except coach speak. I think its pretty damn tough for the coaches. They're damned if the comment, damned if they don't.

• Fire 2

Regardless, don't discuss things that invidual players on doing in a way that can be twisted into a negative thing. As a supervisor the first thing I was taught was praise in public, criticize in private. Just say, "we did some good things, we did some bad things.....................as a team we'll work on it."

And then the coaches get beat up for not telling the media and fans anything except coach speak. I think its pretty damn tough for the coaches. They're damned if the comment, damned if they don't.

Agree with you.......

I guess that is why they get paid the big bucks! a 20 year old individual does not carry the burden of losing, see Mike Gundy.

I have not read either article, as I think it is time to put last week behind us. Nothing we can do to make it a positive. But it is possible, by the end of the year, it might turn out to be a pretty good game against a good compeitor, time will tell

I think Taylor played his heart out, and I am sure Coach Beck did everything he could to win. Neither wanted to lose. Sometimes things do not work the way we think they will or should. Mistakes were made, but the team carries the burden.

Mentioned the audible and there was no mention of that. Doesn't mean Martinez didn't audible into a crap call. Still would have liked Beck to reserve the comments to film room. Not much different than the "look at them and look at us" comments from Raymond. Keep the laundry in the locker room.

Unfortunately, Raymond was right as can be seen by our lack of athletes and speed especially on the defense.