Who should feel more urgency this week, Nebraska or Wisconsin?

NUance

Obviously us, some of you guys don't realize how much 650 yards is in a game, Wisconsin has a d to keep them in games and the only reason they lost is because of a terrible game plan on offense, ball will be fine and Obrien is a more than capable qb, abradaris was out of the game too...we definitely have more urgency and if we don't get the d fixed fast, we will be a 5 or 6 loss team, regardless of how "bad" the B1G is supposedly.

Bucky, Okay the FUDGE PACKERS! I am politically correct now! What is happening to Husker fans is the slow realization that the Rose Bowl is the common goal each season. We are slowly becoming in expectations of the BIG TEN mentality. Big 12 and SEC teams shoot for the national title game. Pac 12 on certain years do the same, but are really finicky is all. The 70s 80s and 90s spoiled most of the base. Especially the 90s. We are a decade removed from that now. The mentality will slowly change to lower standards. How many chances in the 80s did Nebraska have a chance to win a national title? 4??? One year Penn St caught a pass 4 yards out of bounds against the HUSKERS. 1981? I think they went on to a undefeated season that year. Is Nebraska Iowa? Not yet,but could be sliding that way. Is Nebraska Wisconsin? NO! You have had more success in the last 5 years. What us Nebraska fans have to realize is that Lincoln to a 18 year old kid is not that intriguing! The program is losing its luster is all. Will the fans still be there every week end sold out? YES. Unless the dollar collapses in the next few months. But like your statement says. The urgency is on the Huskers.

• Fire 2

Ah still with the cheesehead thing. While most Wisconsin fans are Packer fans, I am for example, not all are. Certainly not all Packer fans are fans of UW. The terms are not synonymous and many UW fans don't like them being used interchangeably.

This is just like insisting that Northwestern be abbreviated "NW" and calling Michigan "MU" or Wisconsin "WU." You are a quirky bunch.

1.gif

So this must've been when Aaron Rodgers led the Packers to the Rose Bowl. :lol:

Ah, hi. Remember where I said this? "most Wisconsin fans are Packer fans." Thanks. You see a lot of Packer stuff at Badger games. Far less Wisconsin stuff at Lambeau.

partyhat.jpg

It would be less confusing if Badger fans would just wear this style of Cheesehead instead. :lol:

Do all Nebraskans wear overalls and grow corn?

Well, I can't speak for the rest of them. But I do! :lol:

/edit: Actually I wear Levis 501s and raise a strain of Kush in my basement. But it's pretty much the same principle.

Yes you lost to a team with guys who were stellar recruits, but they were freshman coached by a brand new coach in front of an ambivalent home crowd.

We lost to a veteran HC with more experienced players in a venue known for upsets.

As far as urgency goes its a matter of expectations: I did not expect a great season this year, I thought we'd be better than we are and maybe make the B1G CG, but not a 2010/2011 kind of year. Most realistic UW fans knew it would be a down year with the coaching and player losses.

NU on the other hand expected more, or at least I think. I mean this is Nebraska we're talking about. Many of you seem to expect a National Championship each year so I think those fans are feeling much more nervous. Urgency on a piss your pants kind of level.

Both schools seem to be suffering from their own identity issues. Nebraska on Defense and Wisconsin on Offense.

No offense Bucky, but i think Wisconsin has more urgency to win. Not saying that the Huskers don't have pressure to win either. Wisconsin looked terrible on offense. My opinion is they didn't get Monte Ball or James White rolling until it was too late. I always thought O'Brien was overrated and i was proved right. 70% of the missed passes he threw were his fault, too short, too high, too far out, behind the receiver. He was really off. They fired their offensive line coach, so i think Wisconsin has more urgency to win to prove it is better off without him and can get the ship turned around quick. Easiest remedy is feed Monte Ball the ball more and use O'Brien less. Simple as that.

Nebraska's trouble is deeper and concerns are only fixable by making adjustments to the entire defense, not just one player.

So while Wisconsin has more urgency to win, their fix to the problem is simple and easy, while Nebraska may not have the near urgency Wisconsin does, its problems are more deeply rooted.

I'm sticking with cheeseheads for anyone that is from Wisconsin. Correct me if I'm wrong Bucky but, isn't the origin of cheesehead related to the dairy industry in Wisconsin, only to later be applied to Packers fans because they are from Wisconsin. I don't think it derived from fools wearing yellow foam hats on the frozen tundra.

Oh, this week is much more critical for the Huskers. Nobody cares about the Badgers.

I was actually wearing a Westside pullover in Minnesota this past weekend and anyone from Omaha knows the Westside HS logo is very similar to the Wisconsin logo with just minor tweaks because Wisconsin threatened to sue them a few years back...anyway I saw some Wisconsin fans and they somehow knew we were from Nebraska and one of them said to me, "well at least you have a cheesehead in the group!" They call themselves cheeseheads, so its okay if we do.

Here is what I am confused about? This thread is about more pressure to win! Bucky is from Wisconsin. A team that has had little success compared to Nebraska! Again, How is the pressure more on the Badgers this week or even this year? The Husker responses saying Wisconsin has more pressure I am not understanding is all. Barry Alvarez never sniffed a national title game and stayed around quite a few years! We had a coach that lost 3 games one year and was GONE! Again, please tell me how the pressure is more on Wisconsin. Not trying to be a smart butt on this,but not understanding your logic and saying Wisconsin has more pressure!

I was actually wearing a Westside pullover in Minnesota this past weekend and anyone from Omaha knows the Westside HS logo is very similar to the Wisconsin logo with just minor tweaks because Wisconsin threatened to sue them a few years back...anyway I saw some Wisconsin fans and they somehow knew we were from Nebraska and one of them said to me, "well at least you have a cheesehead in the group!" They call themselves cheeseheads, so its okay if we do.

"Cheesehead" is a general term for people from Wisconsin, yes. Its probably why they used it, they may have thought that you were lucky enough to also share a connection to the fine state and were unaware that you do not. It is not however, synonymous with "Badgers" or Badger fans. They may have used that term in a way you misinterpreted but I guarantee you that it is not widely used in that sense. I do not say "I'm going to watch the Cheeseheads play" when turning on a UW game, or "I'm going to hang out with some cheeseheads" when going to a game at Camp Randall. I know many UW fans who don't identify at all with that word.

As far as urgency I maintain that Nebraska has a more urgent need to win. I'm in a pretty good place as a Wisconsin fan at the moment. We've had an awesome last run the last six or so years. I remember the dark ages and understand we're going to have a few down seasons, especially to rebuild. We're coming off two conference championships, I can accept a short timeout. You guys are more accustomed to success and at a higher level. It's been a while, too long really, since you last had it. Every season without it must be excruciating.

So I guess "I'm taking my cheeseheaded self and my cheesehead friends out to watch the cheeseheads play at cheesehead stadium" is not a commonly used sentence around Madison but it would be appropriate in Green Bay?

It would make more sense, yes.

Appropriate use of "Cheesehead"

1. One Wisconsinite meets another Wisconsinite outside Wisconsin: "It's nice to meet another Cheesehead."

2. When referring to Wisconsinites in general terms. "I went to Wisconsin on a fishing trip and stopped at a bar, those Cheeseheads sure love to drink"

3. Anything referring to the Packers. "I'm a proud Cheesehead, my team has a record thirteen NFL Championships!" or "Did you see the Cheeseheads tonight? They really did a number on those crappy Chicago Bears."

Inappropriate, rare or poor uses of "Cheesehead"

1. Generally in reference to the University of Wisconsin or the Badgers. For example, Eagle fans don't say "Man there sure are a lot of Cheesehead fans here" when the Badgers play at Marquette. Packer fans are traditionally the ones deemed "Cheeseheads" not Badgers though there is an extremely large overlap between the two groups.

2. Anything derogatory.

While the Packers are not the sole owners of the term nor are they its originators they are the most common group/organization/team associated with the word. To outsiders I guess it would make sense to refer to Badgers and Badger fans as "Cheeseheads" it just sounds weird and out of place. In general terms it is correct but it doesn't fit common usage.