UNL lawsuit over handicapped parking on gameday

Bradr

I'm all for making handicapped parking more accessible to people who need it.

i love how so many people have qualified their posts with this.

I wasn't qualifying my post with anything.

What happens @ a Wal-Mart or Hy-Vee when all their handicapped spaces are filled and some other handicapped person has to park somewhere else?

Handicapped parking should be made more accessible, but dammit sometimes the logic of people makes me wish I wasn't the same species as them.

What happens @ a Wal-Mart or Hy-Vee when all their handicapped spaces are filled and some other handicapped person has to park somewhere else?

Handicapped parking should be made more accessible, but dammit sometimes the logic of people makes me wish I wasn't the same species as them.

Not the case here. I promise you. Half the lot is handicap spaces.

i know the timing was unfortunate, but i really was not calling you out. i have just seen some variety of that sentiment in a lot of posts and i think is it kind of funny how people are compelled to include that.

i know the timing was unfortunate, but i really was not calling you out. i have just seen some variety of that sentiment in a lot of posts and i think is it kind of funny how people are compelled to include that.

I didn't think you were, just had to cover my bases.

I think an understanding of social psychology might yield a reason as to why. Even still, it's strange why we feel obligated to say that.

However, being sympathetic for those less fortunate (in this case handicapped) is, at least in our society, an admirable trait in a person. We don't want everybody to perceive us as being a jerk because we aren't sympathetic of or empathetic towards the handicapped. And despite what some say, everybody cares what everybody thinks about him or her. We're people, designed by evolution to be sociable creatures.

What's befuddling is that none of us (more than likely) are going to ever see anyone else on this board. So the question is, what's it matter?

The same concept applies to not trying to get to know people in your non-major classes. You'll never interact with them again, so why put forth the effort to get them to like you?

It's a buffer, like "in my opinion." Well, of course it's your opinion, you're the one saying how you feel.

I didn't think you were, just had to cover my bases.

I think an understanding of social psychology might yield a reason as to why. Even still, it's strange why we feel obligated to say that.

However, being sympathetic for those less fortunate (in this case handicapped) is, at least in our society, an admirable trait in a person. We don't want everybody to perceive us as being a jerk because we aren't sympathetic of or empathetic towards the handicapped. And despite what some say, everybody cares what everybody thinks about him or her. We're people, designed by evolution to be sociable creatures.

What's befuddling is that none of us (more than likely) are going to ever see anyone else on this board. So the question is, what's it matter?

The same concept applies to not trying to get to know people in your non-major classes. You'll never interact with them again, so why put forth the effort to get them to like you?

Cha Ching. I dont put forth any "effort" to get people to like me anyways. If you dont like me for who I really am, then you cant come to my birthday party anyway.

Okay, for the "be inconvenienced like everyone else" crowd-- For handicapped people who are going to the game, there are shuttles reserved just for them. They might not get to part close, but they are very accessible. For another-- if I have to walk a mile or two to the stadium, that is not a big deal. It wouldn't be ideal if I were from out of town and unfamiliar with Lincoln, (but since I LIVE a mile or two from the stadium, it's pretty nice :) ). If I were physically disabled, a mile or two (with no service or accessibility) might as well be a hundred miles (depending on the disability, of course).

Another, I know the ADA compliance officer fairly well and I'm damn surprised that this happened. She's been swamped with stadium improvements etc., but this seems like a really unfortunate oversight. I have no doubt that if these people who filed the suit had known how to contact her she would have cracked some heads over this. What I know (or at least believe I know) about her, leads me to believe that it's possible that the people who filed the suit just wanted to sue. She's a very headstrong person who fights like mad for disabled people on the UNL campus.

• Fire 1