*** HB Misc Topic bullsh#t Thread ***

Lawsuit says Google tracks phone users regardless of privacy settings
By Jonathan Stempel   www.reuters.com  TECHNOLOGY NEWSAUGUST 20, 2018 / 10:11 AM / 2 DAYS AGO 

(Reuters) - Google has been accused in a lawsuit of illegally tracking the movements of millions of iPhone and Android phone users even when they use a privacy setting to prevent it.  LINK

Hey Google, Don't be evil!  

Biometrics scanner catches impostor at U.S. airport on just third day of use
By Hillary Grigonis    August 24, 2018

A biometric facial comparison system flagged a traveler using a fake passport — less than three days after the system was installed. LINK

Very impressive.  I wonder where they get scans to compare parameters with?  I guess from the electronic photos taken when entering the U.S. previously.  

• Plus1 2

DlW5TILUwAEr6WO.jpg

DlW5u5NVsAE8nIT.jpg

Tell-All at Tesla  www.boingboing.net

By XENI JARDIN / 5:45 PM FRI AUG 24, 2018   LINK

I'd say there's almost zero chance this *doesn't* end in a lawsuit.  Sounds like Tesla is pretty f#&%ed up.  (me: LINK lol)

• Plus1 2

The Unlikely Activists Who Took On Silicon Valley — and Won

By Nicholas Confessore   www.nytimes.com    Aug. 14, 2018

Mining personal data has become a trillion-dollar business — which is why activists are pushing laws to curb the practice, and why Facebook and other companies are desperate to stop them.  LINK 

Great, great NY Times article.  This grassroots effort to pass a California referendum that limits user data collection ties directly into the Cambridge Analytica scandal LINK,  the resulting plummet of Facebook stock price, and Donald Trump's re-election campaign.  Given the implications there has been surprisingly little media coverage.  Heh.  Go figure.  :nanalama

• Plus1 1