*** HB Misc Topic bullsh#t Thread ***

Belgian man has been receiving pizzas he never ordered for years

A 65-year-old man in Flanders says he is “losing sleep” because he has been receiving pizzas he never ordered for nearly a decade, sometimes several times a day.

Over the past nine years, pizzas he never asked for have been delivered to Jean Van Landeghem’s home in Turnhout, in the Antwerp province. “It started nine years ago,” Van Landeghem told Het Laatste Nieuws. “Suddenly, a pizza delivery man handed me a whole load of pizzas. But I hadn’t ordered anything,” he added.

At first, he thought it was a simple mistake in the delivery address, but orders of pizzas, kebabs, pittas and other food that he never ordered kept flowing in.

“It can be on a weekday or during weekends, and at any time of day. [The orders come from] delivery services in Turnhout, but also from the surrounding area. I have even had orders delivered to me at 2:00 AM,” Van Landeghem said.

“I cannot sleep anymore. I start shaking every time I hear a scooter on the street. I dread that someone will come to drop off hot pizzas yet another time,” he added.

One day in January 2019, Van Landeghem said, ten different delivery men showed up at his house, one of which had 14 pizzas with him.

4 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Thanks for sharing that.  That's pretty cool.

I was watching some documentaries on D-Day this weekend.  Always interesting learning about WWII.

The 2,400 number caught my ear during one of the documentaries as well.  I'm not in any way trying to minimize the loss of 2,400 people.  But when you watch footage and listen to stories of how horrible the situation was, it's kind of amazing that "only" 2,400 people died out of roughly 73,000 Americans who came ashore (156,000 total from all countries).  That's about 3% which sucks.  But when you drop the front of the landing craft into a hail of machine gun fire and face that for hours trying to get across the beach, it seems like it would even have been more than that.  

Now, I realize that there were 10s of 1,000s more wounded.  It was a bloody and deadly day.  And it's crazy what the guys who lived through it have to remember for the rest of their lives.  Maybe we were fortunate that the numbers weren't a lot higher.  Because it sure seems like they could have been.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

That's funny.  I have been watching some WWII docs recently as well.  The soldiers that landed on Omaha beach basically landed in a killing zone compared to those that landed on Utah beach.  I would love to visit both of those places some day and see other WWII sites in Europe as well.