*** HB Misc Topic bullsh#t Thread ***

On 8/14/2020 at 9:44 AM, GSG said:

Alright, so now I can't even find this hat :lol:

It's the worst isn't it?  You find something you like, wait a couple days and then poof it's gone.  I definitely run into that problem seemingly way more with college stuff versus pro.  What I would pay for a Supermarket Style run through the Adidas room at UNL.  I bet they have some sweeeeett swag in there.

A quick story. My daughter came back to Lincoln last week but we hauled out a bunch of her stuff on Friday. She’s in an apartment this semester so needed more stuff than when she was in the dorms, bed, etc. Anyway, got her all settled in today and drove to Columbus to visit with the mother in law. Shortly after we got to Columbus I discovered I did not have my wallet, credit cards, license, etc. Text my daughter and sure enough, it had fallen out of my pocket in her car. So I arrange to meet her half way, just north of Seward at hwy 15 and 66 (Dwight road). It’s getting later, the sun is going down so I’m pushing it a bit, about 73 in a 60 or 65 zone. Radar detector goes off, I hit the brakes and the sheriff car goes by. I’m a little surprised he didn’t flip around right away so I think I’m in the clear. So I start driving the speed limit. About ten minutes later he’s on me from nowhere, flips on the lights and pulls me over. I figure the speeding ticket is a given but I’m concerned about not having my license with me. So the Butler county sheriff guy comes up, asks for license and registration. I say well, I’ve got the registration and explain I’m on my way to get my license. He takes my reg and heads back to his car. Figure he’s writing my ticket. He comes back and says “here’s your registration back, I’m not issuing you a ticket” and then goes into detail on how he clocked me and why my radar detector wasn’t quick enough to warn me to slow down sooner. I’m kinda smiling saying yeah, I could tell you had me. He says he just wanted to stop me to make sure I wasn’t up to no good, running kilos of coke from Colorado or anything. I kinda laugh and say nah, I’m just out here driving too fast without a license, and then he laughs. He says drive safe and lets me go. Pretty cool guy :thumbs

• Plus1 2
On 8/23/2020 at 12:30 AM, JJ Husker said:

A quick story. My daughter came back to Lincoln last week but we hauled out a bunch of her stuff on Friday. She’s in an apartment this semester so needed more stuff than when she was in the dorms, bed, etc. Anyway, got her all settled in today and drove to Columbus to visit with the mother in law. Shortly after we got to Columbus I discovered I did not have my wallet, credit cards, license, etc. Text my daughter and sure enough, it had fallen out of my pocket in her car. So I arrange to meet her half way, just north of Seward at hwy 15 and 66 (Dwight road). It’s getting later, the sun is going down so I’m pushing it a bit, about 73 in a 60 or 65 zone. Radar detector goes off, I hit the brakes and the sheriff car goes by. I’m a little surprised he didn’t flip around right away so I think I’m in the clear. So I start driving the speed limit. About ten minutes later he’s on me from nowhere, flips on the lights and pulls me over. I figure the speeding ticket is a given but I’m concerned about not having my license with me. So the Butler county sheriff guy comes up, asks for license and registration. I say well, I’ve got the registration and explain I’m on my way to get my license. He takes my reg and heads back to his car. Figure he’s writing my ticket. He comes back and says “here’s your registration back, I’m not issuing you a ticket” and then goes into detail on how he clocked me and why my radar detector wasn’t quick enough to warn me to slow down sooner. I’m kinda smiling saying yeah, I could tell you had me. He says he just wanted to stop me to make sure I wasn’t up to no good, running kilos of coke from Colorado or anything. I kinda laugh and say nah, I’m just out here driving too fast without a license, and then he laughs. He says drive safe and lets me go. Pretty cool guy :thumbs

Some folks refuse to believe it, but those types of interactions constitute about 90% of all citizen/cop contacts. And...you have a cool story for the future :zoom

• Fire 1

This was - somehow - referenced during a Mets game by the broadcast crew a week or two ago.  So I had to get the story.

James “Fly” Williams had game—lots and lots of game.

Austin Peay State University recently honored their favorite son and retired Williams’ jersey on Feb. 5 in a ceremony at the Governor’s Dunn Center.

Williams was born in Brooklyn and learned the game on the streets. He was dominant at Madison High School, but really earned his stripes on the playground with the likes of World B. Free and Earl “the Goat” Manigault. By all accounts, Fly would play anywhere, anytime. He is still considered one of the best “streetballers” of all time.

After Williams completed high school, he was recruited by Austin Peay State University(APSU) assistant Leonard Hamilton, who is now the head coach at Florida State. When Fly, who earned his nickname for his flamboyant style of dress, arrived in Clarksville, TN sporting a floppy hat and a big afro, both he and the locals had to make a few adjustments.

"I was flamboyant; it was the style. Clyde (Walt Frazier) had Clyde, and I was Fly. I was Fly before Curtis Mayfield was Super Fly,” Williams once said.

Anxious to put his program on the national basketball map, Williams did not disappoint the Austin Peay faithful. In his first year, he averaged 29.4 points-per-game and led the Governors to the Big Dance. With Fly scoring 26 points, APSU defeated Jacksonville in the opening round, but lost to perennial power Kentucky in the next.

Ultimately, Fly Williams will be best remembered for a very clever and funny chant that would have the NCAA higher-ups in Kansas City squirming in their starched shirts and suits were it popular today. During Fly’s playing days, the APSU faithful would chant at length:

"Fly is open, let's go Peay!"