*** HB Misc Topic bullsh#t Thread ***

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

@RedDenver couldn't think of a better place to ask this but saw your chat about submarines and not seeing sunlight for months...

Is that true? Meaning, you would stay submerged for months at a time without ever being able to open up the hatch and get outside for a bit?

Yes. Ballistic missile subs stay submerged for about 2-3 months at a time, but someone else will have to comment on specifics since I was on a fast attack sub. I did a bunch of underways that were 1 month or less submerged and a handful that were 3 months or less submerged. We did have times where we surfaced and got out on the deck (called a steel beach or swim call depending if we were allowed to get in the water), but those were when we weren't on mission. I swam in both the Indian and Arctic Oceans on swim calls, so I have the claim to fame that I've swum in all 4 of the world's oceans. (Well, I "swam" in the Arctic as in I jumped in and got out as fast as humanly possible.)

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Yes. Ballistic missile subs stay submerged for about 2-3 months at a time, but someone else will have to comment on specifics since I was on a fast attack sub. I did a bunch of underways that were 1 month or less submerged and a handful that were 3 months or less submerged. We did have times where we surfaced and got out on the deck (called a steel beach or swim call depending if we were allowed to get in the water), but those were when we weren't on mission. I swam in both the Indian and Arctic Oceans on swim calls, so I have the claim to fame that I've swum in all 4 of the world's oceans. (Well, I "swam" in the Arctic as in I jumped in and got out as fast as humanly possible.)

That's still really impressive (to me at least). I'm not overly claustrophobic but I would've probably been a little uncomfortable... constantly being aware that I'm surrounded by a compressing trillions of gallons of water, potentially hundreds of feet deep, all the time.

I do the same thing to myself on planes. I'm generally relaxed, but at the same time, hard for me to ignore the fact that I'm floating in a tube 30,000 feet in the air with no control over anything.

22 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I jumped in the water runoff of a glacier in Alaska, and immediately jumped out. Worst. Shrinkage. Evar. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Cdog923 said:

I jumped in the water runoff of a glacier in Alaska, and immediately jumped out. Worst. Shrinkage. Evar. 

Hahaha!

Yep, I had to swim back to the sub and climb up a cargo net. My hair was almost frozen solid by the time I got below decks; took about half an hour standing in the hot part of the engine room to not feel cold anymore.

• Fire 1